1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Middle East] US embassy in Israel to be moved from Tel-Aviv to Jerusalem

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Cohete Rojo, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I guess it depends on what you define as acceptable loss. If Israel is keen to losing probably more than the approximately 131 Israeli soldiers and 46 Israeli civilians they lost in the 2006 war and doesn't consider that a heavy price, then by all means let them fight another war with Palestinian militants and Hezbollah. Sure, Israel may kill 15 of them (mostly civilians) to every 1 of them. I still say that's a heavy price for Israel in losses. I don't think Israel expected those kinds of losses from that 2006 war. And, to surmise the outcome will be better next time around...I don't see it. Missiles are probably better now with more range, more accuracy, and Hezbollah is battle-ready from fighting ISIS in Syria. I consider it a heavy price if it goes that way. I hope it doesn't go that way. Obviously, Israel isn't going to lose. But, what are the costs going to be next time around? Better than the 2006 war? Hopefully, this doesn't draw Muslims into conflict like ISIS did.

2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Nobody should have to move. If the enemies of the Israelis just accepted the status quo and stopped murdering people, there would be complete peace. Why should the Israelis have to move, just because some intolerant people who hate them want to keep trying to kill them? Nah.

Cohete Rojo likes this.
  3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I don't think this is mere symbolism. Just like the physical presence of Jewish settlers on supposedly Palestinian land makes eventual Israeli sovereignty there a fait accompli, the construction of physical embassies in Jerusalem makes revisiting the subject of making Jerusalem a capital of a Palestinian state a practical impossibility.

4. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

you're not this stupid.... right?

5. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

You act as if only one side has asinine fairy tale claims. Both have those claims. Why does one have more of a claim than the other?

When both sides have irrational claims based in fairy tales, the more adult side that has a higher percentage of educated individuals loving secular lives should understand the more pragmatic solution. No one around them wants them there. The Western world with a high standard of living welcomes them with open arms. The other side, the Palestinians, no one wants them. They are stuck where they are. They don't have open access to the US and Europe like the Israelis do.

Let them have that small sliver of land. They need it more than the Israelis. The Isealis get the better end of the deal here as they get to move into a safer region with equivalent or better living conditions with ample high skilled employment opportunities.

6. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

It's not about who has fairy tales, it's about who murders civilians and preaches hate. And no, the only democracy in the region shall remain as a bastion of freedom there. They should not and will not bow to Islamist anger, violence and intolerance.

7. fchowd0311

K, then allow Palestinians the same freedom of movement to travel to Western developed nations like the Israelis. I don't think Israelis even need to apply for a visa to enter Europe.

Do you want the Palestians to magically change their perception of Israel after their requests get shot down time after time? I mean be honest. If your end game doesn't care about whether the Palestinians even exist after all this, that's fine, just be up front. You aren't providing any pragmatic solutions.

And it's all about the fairy tales. What else compeles a Jewish family who is living a first world modern life with high standards of living in Europe or America to migrate to illegal settlements and stir the hornets nest even more? Pragmatism?

8. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I know several Palestinians in Germany (one very attractive girl, among others). Crime among people in Germany of Palestinian origin is significantly higher than among those of Israeli origin. Why would people from a place such as Palestina where people get indoctrinated with hate from early childhood and that is run by a terrorist organization and where gays get murdered, and so on, get the same freedom of movement as people from a free democracy such as Israel? That doesn't make sense.

9. fchowd0311

You did nothing besides elevate my initial premise that no one wants the Palestinians so let them have that stupid barren piece of land at let the Israelis enjoy the benefits of high standard if living in first world Western nation's who welcome them.

Also, your anecdotal experience of knowing some Palestinians doesn't mean much. A Israeli can fly into Europe any time and all they need is their passport. How long do you think it takes the average Palestinian to successfully apply to travel to the US or Europe? If **** hits the fan in Israel and the streets of Tell Aviv and Gaza are riddled with bombs and gun fire, who has the larger freedom of movement to instantly travel to a safe Western nation?

10. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Neither is antagonizing them just for the sake of it

11. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I really wish Trump wouldn't talk about this as a great step towards peace when even his own diplomats are telling him the opposite. Just level and say that this is about his evangelical base, sucking up to Netanyahu and to troll the Islamic World. Just admit that the Trump Administration has no interest in being a neutral or impartial mediator regarding the peace effort.

12. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I'm not of the mindset that peace is not achievable in the Middle East, particularly in Israel - Palestine. It will take tremendous coordination, patience, restraint, and much more. But I do believe it possible with the right mix of leadership and the correct game plan.

Will we see it in our life time?
    I hope so. If I can get the courage to make a slight career change, I hope to one day work on this issue. I was a mid east studies major in college, studied Arabic, and wanted to work in/on the Middle East. I'm fascinated with the history, the culture, the politics. It's all I read about. I don't own more than 5 books not related to the Mid East in some way.

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The difference of course is that I am talking about a group of terrorist sympathizers and describing them only as that, not as animals. They are not inherently inclined to violence, it's something they teach their children and that's why there is a seemingly never ending cycle of terrorism and violence as essentially the only thing they produce as a people.

I think there is a chance that they might stop grooming their children to be terrorists if they were removed from the situation and given their own land rather than continuing to hold out hope that they can one day steal the land of others. One day they might grow to the point where they can elect a legitimate government and finally for the first time in human history there could be a Palestinian state. Of course none of that can happen if things remain as they are.

14. dmoneybangbang

All this move would accomplish at this time, when the Middle East has been destabilized for approximately 15 years, is cause things to escalate. Being petty and just trying to give the middle finger to Muslims will only cause more death and eat up more resources. Sometimes you just need to know when to do nothing.

15. dmoneybangbang

Turns out in hindsight, the creation of Israel was a colossal mistake.... Who could have imagine creating a Jewish state around some of the most holy sites of Abrahamic religions surrounded by people who hate them would be a mistake?

16. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Why was it not there to begin with? I think we start the analysis of the move there.

Then look into how this will affect the future.

The basis of this is . .. someone has to be the d*ck . . .Trump is ok with that
    I say this because. . . . .
    Once a Demo is back in office. . .. THEY ARE NOT GOING TO MOVE IT BACK
    And having it there will become THE NEW NORMAL

We will work around it. . ..
    I figure there will be some blow back . . .but eventually it will level off
    I just hope no death and destruction happens in the mean time

Rocket River

18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Isn't that how most of the world treats America?
    We don't get our way . . .we will bomb you into the stoneage
    and most countries give in to our demands because of it???

Rocket River

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

In a way, but the difference here is that Israel could easily wipe out all of the Palestinians if they wanted to, they are the side that holds the power and it's the Palestinians that keep begging them to do so with their terrorism. If Israel was just about any of the major powers in the world, they'd have completely wiped out the Palestinians by now be it Russia, China, the UK, France, Germany, and Turkey for sure. The only major country I could see being as passive about it as Israel has been is maybe India.

How long do you think the US would allow state sponsored terrorist attacks by Mexico before crushing them?

20. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Unfortunately, that is what you get if your government is run by a terrorist organization.

Sucks for the minority of Palestinian Muslims who aren't hateful towards Jews and non-Muslims - the 11 % of Palestinian Muslims who do not insist on Sharia law becoming the law of the land, with all that entails, and for the 32 % of Palestinian Muslims who think that suicide bombings are never acceptable to "defend Islam".

Yeah, if I'm the US or a European country and I know that 89 % of the population of a place are religiously fanatical supremacists and more than 2/3 of a population think that suicide bombings can be ok, then I'll make sure I take my time vetting a person from that group before letting them into my country. Well done US and Europe.