1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans: Ego Boosting Grounds or Valuable Community Resource?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by theimpossibles1, Dec 6, 2017.

1. theimpossibles1

There is a group of posters who seek stimulating discussion, connect with each other, talk sports, and contribute great content, including amazing humor.

Another group is here because they want a little personal pick me up, sometimes by way of 'likes', sometimes by way of putting others down or stirring up negative emotions.

There's nothing wrong with seeking 'likes'. Most of us do it, including myself. You can offer content, insight, humor, connections, and all the other good stuff without any mean spirit. Look at posters like @J.R. for example. He gets as much 'likes' as anyone.

------------------------------------------------------

The first one or two responses usually set the tone for the rest of a thread.

If a J.R. type poster is the first response, that thread will likely continue to provide value and healthy discusson.

What usually happens is a 'like' seeker is prowling for fresh threads so they can make a knee-jerk reaction joke.

If the joke is good spirited and thread related then that's awesome. You will probably get 'likes' and allow the thread to continue to produce real value.

The problem which is detracting enormously from our forum, is the knee-jerk reactions that are mean spirited and/or not thread relevant. These almost inevitably send a thread (which could have provided great value) spiraling into negativity and hostility.

The negative jokers are almost always those who have no interest in a thread and/or think it is stupid.

Please consider that some of the thousands of other members might enjoy participating in a thread you may not enjoy. Please don't take a sh** on it. Please don't ruin the thread for others just so you can get 'likes.'

Please ClutchFans, let's respect our fellow community members. Let's make ClutchFans a more enjoyable place to spend our time and energy.

2. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

I have more likes than you.

RedRedemption likes this.
  3. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

4. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Bruh.

What forum in existence doesn't have shitposters? It's the internet, you take the good with the bad.

theimpossibles1 likes this.
  5. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Unfortunately, this is the new digital age where this is the norm. Sucks for the most part.

I remember back in the good ole days when this wasn't the case.

I still love this place though. Been here for half my life, which is crazy.

6. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I just want something witty or interesting to read.

Kinda weird I end up depressing myself at the forum's armpit.

7. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Ban newbs that bring politics into the GARM because they have zero knowledge of the NBA .

Let's make Clutchfans a Rockets fans only place again.

8. theimpossibles1

I kno tho. If even one shitposter considers changing their ways after reading this, it was worth it.

9. marky :)

marky :) Member

10. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

11. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Valuable Community Resource?

[​IMG]

12. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

You mad cause they ruined your "let's make a story time" thread?

13. theimpossibles1

That was indeed the impetus for this thread. Applies universally tho.

Lmao at @kevC providing a perfect example of sh**ting on a thread because he didn't like or understand it (post #25 in the 'Let's Write a Story Together" thread).

ghettocheeze likes this.
  14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

A-Holes are going to A-Holes
    They have been around for ever . . . .
    I think I read an article on them . . .. call Griefers. . . who love the power anonymity gives them to piss people off
    They get off on simply making other people made. . . generally they are wimpy little b*tches in real life who would NEVER do it in person
    but because they are protected by internet, anonymity and distance . . .they true hidden nature comes out

If you see them in life.. . you probably think they are some of the nicest people in the world
    they probably go above and beyond to demonstrate that to keep a 'good public image'
    but here. . . . .they know they can log out and reregister if their A-holes personality gets ignored enough and called out enough
    then they can do it all again . . .. to an extent. . . . ..

grief·er ˈɡrēfə/
    noun
    informal
    plural noun: griefers
    1. (in an online game or community) a person who harasses or deliberately provokes other players or members in order to spoil their enjoyment

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Griefer

Rocket River

A_3PO and theimpossibles1 like this.
  15. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

Not as funny as your first failed attempt when dick jokes derailed the whole thread. Did you burn it down to the ground and start all over again?

16. theimpossibles1

Lol yep. And it worked pretty well for a while.

17. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Bro, I put that story out of its misery. It was going no where and made no sense. I support the thread it just needs to start over.

18. theimpossibles1

Yea I kinda agree. Would be a really cool thread if everyone took it seriously.