1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Report: Lorenzen Wright found dead.

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by BasketballMind, Jul 28, 2010.

Tags:
  1. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I didn't send anything. I really don't care and wouldn't waste Carl's time. I was just trying to troll the troll. :grin:

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

Shelby County man arrested, charged with murder in death of former NBA player

A Shelby County man has been arrested and charged with murder in the killing of Lorenzen Wright, the basketball standout whose body was found in 2010 and whose slaying has remained a mystery for years, officials announced Tuesday.

Billy R. Turner, 46, was charged with first-degree murder. According to a document, he was indicted Tuesday. The Multi Agency Gang Unit saw him leave a house in the 4700 block of Waterfront Oak Drive, get into a vehicle and travel to the Collierville Express Mart on U.S. 72. He was then arrested and was being held on $1 million bond.

Deborah Marion, Wright's mother, expressed relief over Tuesday's developments, saying authorities confirmed Turner's arrest shortly before a mid-afternoon news conference.

"I'm ecstatic. I'm full of flame," Marion said, later adding: “We got the main player.”

According to Shelby County court records, Turner has an arrest record dating to 1992.

In August 1992, Turner pleaded guilty to reckless endangerment with a deadly weapon. He was sentenced to two years in the Shelby County Correction Center, according to court records.

Aimen Alaina says his family has owned the Collierville Express Mart for 15 years and Turner has been a regular customer for as long as he can remember.

“I’d say at least five times a week, with no bad habits. No cigarettes, no beer, no lottery tickets,” Alaina said. “We’re always laughing together. He’s a nice guy."

Alaina wasn’t at the store Tuesday morning when Turner was apprehended but knew immediately who Turner was after seeing the surveillance video of the arrest.

Turner owns a landscape business and usually had a trailer loaded with equipment, he said.

“I’m in disbelief," Alaina said.

Marion said she considered a lot of possible suspects in the years since her son's death, but she “never, never, never” heard of Turner.

Authorities confirmed last month they had found a gun believed to have been used in Wright's killing in a lake in the Walnut, Mississippi, area. That discovery prompted officials to publicize a $21,000 reward for information established in the case years earlier.

Wright went through personal and financial setbacks, including a divorce and the foreclosure of two homes. He finished his NBA career in 2009 and was killed at age 34.

Wright had been living in Atlanta and was visiting the Memphis area when he disappeared in July 2010.

Wright's ex-wife, Sherra Robinson Wright, had told authorities in 2010 that he left her Collierville home at about 10:30 p.m. July 18 with drugs and an unspecified amount of money, according to a Memphis police affidavit. She told authorities that Wright made a phone call to an unknown person and said he was going to flip something for $110,000. He then left in a vehicle driven by an unidentified person shortly after the call, she said.

Wright appears to have called 911 from his cellphone from a field near the TPC Southwind golf course minutes after midnight on July 19, 2010. His body was found in the area several days later, and authorities have said it was so badly decomposed that it was unclear how many times he was shot.

Shell casings from different caliber weapons were found at the crime scene.

On West South Street in Collierville, neighbors said Turner stayed there with a relative. They couldn’t believe that the man they’ve known for years has been arrested for murder.

“I couldn’t believe it when I heard it. He seems to be a nice person,” said Terrance Jones as he walked on his way to work past the small blue frame house where Turner stays.

It was the same for a group of men who were across the street working on a car.

“I don’t believe he did it,” said Walter Jordan, who has known Turner all his life. “l never would believe he did no stuff like that. ... Because he’s a really nice person. He’s helped me whenever I needed it.”

Turner helped him when Jordan’s truck stopped running, he said, and Turner helped others in the neighborhood with their cars and with work around their homes, as well.

“I don’t think he did it. Somebody framed him probably,” Jordan said.

Mose Stokes has known Turner for decades as well and agrees.

“He ain’t that kind of person. He’s a good man," Stokes said.

Turner is to be arraigned in Shelby County Criminal Court Division 7 in Judge Lee Coffee's court. The date of the arraignment was not immediately known.

"We’re just going to sit around for the next couple of weeks and see what happens,” Marion said.​

BigShasta and daywalker02 like this.
  3. J.R.

J.R. Member

Who is Billy Turner? Suspect accused in Lorenzen Wright murder

MEMPHIS, Tenn. - FOX13 has learned more about Bill Turner, the man who was arrested Tuesday for the murder of Lorenzen Wright.

Bill Turner lived in a quiet neighborhood, on a dead-end street in Raleigh.

We spoke with a neighbor who knew him, and he told us after he realized why the police were at Turner's house, he couldn't believe it.

"I thought it was something like a bust, like drugs or something like that, and then when I looked around and saw all the tape across the street, I realized something bad has happened over there."

The neighbor who did not want to be identified said he was home when police arrived on his street.

His curiosity grew until he watched the news and found out why police were at Bill Turner's house, and then he really couldn't believe it.

"I'm praying that he just didn't have anything to do with it, you know? He just had a newborn baby, and that was the last time I talked to him about a couple weeks ago."

Turner was arrested for the murder of former NBA star and Memphis native Lorenzen Wright, but the neighbor told us it's hard to believe the man who is now behind bars at 201 Poplar, is the same man he knew.

"He was a good hard worker. I'm talking about he cut grass and he did everything. He would help you if you needed it and he was a good guy. I'm talking this really was a shock, shocking to me."

The neighbor told us both he and Turner are religious men, deacons at different churches. His feelings are now aimed at Turner's family and the family of Lorenzen Wright, and he is leaning on his faith to help him make sense of what's happened.

"I'm praying that he didn't do it, and I just hope they get the facts, and I hope the Wright family, what they're looking for too as far as getting past their loss."

The neighbor told FOX13 although he is in disbelief, if Turner did commit this crime, he hopes justice will be served.

Three sources told FOX13 Billy Turner worked at the Wright home and did yard work. Additionally, Turner's mother worked as a nanny for Wright's family.

According to the TBI, Turner was arrested and convicted of violent crimes back in the 1990's.

Collierville police arrested Turner for aggravated assault and aggravated kidnapping back in 1992.

During the same year, police arrested him for selling cocaine and was sentenced to four years in prison.

In 1996, police in Collierville arrested him for criminal trespass. 15 years later, police picked him up on minor traffic violations.

Turner openly proclaims his Christian faith on social media. We discovered Turner was a deacon at Mount Olive Number One Baptist Church, a church attended by Lorenzen Wright and his ex-wife.​

4. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

It sucks that it take murdering a person to repent and live life as a good human being.

6. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

well we don't know if he really did it but if so that does indeed suck

7. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

8. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

I worked with a friend of Wright - even had pics of him as a groomsman in Wright's wedding. He always thought his ex did it. Looks like she's innocent but I wonder how they know It was him.

9. kjhwang

kjhwang Member

She might have had something to do with it, I suspect. They did go to the same church, his ex and the murderer.

vlaurelio and macho GRANDE like this.
  10. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Wow, seven years ago already. Time flies.

Hopefully justice prevails.

R.I.P.

11. dragonwill

dragonwill Member

12. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

For some reason, he was one of my fav players when I was a kid. I still have at least 5 of these laying around in a box somewhere...

[​IMG]

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

Lorenzen Wright's ex-wife arrested in California in connection to his murder

MEMPHIS, Tenn. - FOX13 has learned that Lorenzen Wright's ex-wife, Sherra Wright, has been arrested and jailed in California.

She was arrested in her Riverside, California home Friday night. Jail records show she was booked into the Robert Presley Detention Center in Riverside at 9:28 p.m. Pacific time. No charges are listed.

Deborah Marion, Lorenzen's mother, spoke with FOX13 late Friday night. She said police told her Sherra will be charged with murder; the same as Billy Turner.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/sto...ht-arrested-california-memphis-nba/929512001/

DonatasFanboy likes this.
  14. malakas

malakas Member

it took a while but finally justice is served. I hope they rot in prison.

macho GRANDE likes this.
  15. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Well...looks like my co-worker was right.

16. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Wow. That is insanely ****ed up.

17. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Check this out. May as well confess.

heypartner likes this.
  18. jacoby

jacoby Member

Justice hasn't been served yet. They're obviously going to plead not guilty. I wonder what evidence links the ex-wife to the murder.

Regardless of her involvement, she seems like a vile human being; Playing a role in bankrupting her husband with outrageous shopping sprees and then completely spending the $1 million life insurance policy meant for HER KIDS on clothes, cars and a house within 11 months. I hope she's involved just so she can die between cement walls.

macho GRANDE and Astrodome like this.
  19. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Contributing Member

Hope they're convicted. This also gives me hope that justice will eventually come to the ones who murdered a friend of mine a few years ago.

jeffvangundy likes this.
  20. Salvy

Salvy Member

Look bro, she is a wife and a mother and an author..... How could you even accuse her of such horrid things?

Zboy, malakas and jacoby like this.