1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

This team has borderline expansion level talent right now

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Hank McDowell, Nov 12, 2017.

1. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Not watching Texans games post Watson injury has proven a wise choice on my part. I recommend others follow suit.

raining threes likes this.
  2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think this is partially true, parity in the NFL leads to a situation where the difference between contender and crap is pretty small. When a team loses 2 of their 3 best defensive players and their franchise QB, they are sunk no matter how good they were before that. In fact, I don't think anyone could name a team that had a QB operating at an elite level that could lose that QB and 2 of their 3 best defensive players and still be even halfway decent.

conquistador#11 and ipaman like this.
  3. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Seriously.

Of course the team sucks now, we've lost some of our best players to injury PLUS our starting QB.

I mean sure, depth, but depth doesn't replace special players like that.

ipaman likes this.
  4. texian

texian Member

Not really. Just because Watson was able to run around to save his life doesn't mean his offensive line was any good.

Our OTs and OGs have been graded at the bottom of their positions all season long.

This isn't just your average awful OL... it's tremendously bad, historically bad, expansion franchise bad.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The O line isn't the whole team though and O lines all across the league have been god-awful....likely due in part to the league severely limiting contact drills at practice...something vital to O line play.

Even if the O line is trash, and it is, that doesn't mean that the team has borderline expansion level talent, it just means they have a garbage O line like half of the league does.

6. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

The Houston Texans 2017 Season Summary:

[​IMG]

7. IronTexan93

IronTexan93 Member

This is the result of starting threads out of sheer emotion.

8. texian

texian Member

I'd say we're south of that border.

They'll Moneyball them.

Hank McDowell likes this.
  9. craigharmann

craigharmann Member

I have actually enjoyed watching to see where BOB needs to be coaching better and see how creatively they can lose. I don’t expect them to win, so when they lose, I’m not upset. But the train wreck is fun to watch.

Haymitch and raining threes like this.
  10. conquistador#11

our back ups' back ups are getting hurt. It's the battle of the bulge-ish chin out there.

11. dmoneybangbang

Puts a lot of pressure on ole Rick Smith to get some decent draft returns this offseason.

12. vjohnson

vjohnson Member

Where are those new helmets to prevent concussions cause we need them ASAP!!

13. raining threes

Except they were 3-4 with Watson.

The defense and OB blew 2 games.

juanm34 likes this.
  14. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

At least we'll have experienced depth next season

15. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

It's what happens when your three best players suffer season ending injuries

16. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

If the Texans can stay relatively healthy next year - a big if - I think they’re set up about as well as they’ve ever been.

That’s crazy to say I know. It’d be much better if they had their picks.

That aside they’ll have a bunch of great talent returning. They’ll have a 3rd or 4th place schedule. They’ll have an offseason to know who QB1 is and that he’s potentially amazing. They’ll know precisely where to focus in offseason uogrades.

I mean I’m not projecting super bowl or anything ha. But I think you can see the Texans like the Eagles with wentz and year 2. If they can stay relatively healthy.

17. craigharmann

craigharmann Member

And your o line was mediocre at best to start the year, your regularly injured corner was injured, your regularly concussed tight end was concussed, a bunch of other guys got concussed, your former great LB got busted for PEDS.....again.....and the head coach weekly says he has to coach better....and doesn’t.

18. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

This is why both Billy and Ricky need to be fired. They presided over the gutting of the roster.

19. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Watt we should not have counted on coming off serious surgery. Watson is a rookie and they weren't even planning on starting him. Mercilus yes was unexpected and bad.

And they were under .500 when Watson got hurt anyway.

20. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

However they ended up with a franchise qb, they have one. You cannot use it as a con anymore

This is the same situation from the previous two seasons but his best defensive players are hurt

Another good draft pick foreman is hurt