1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Is it time to trade Clowney?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by mario_v, Nov 29, 2017.

1. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

You mean like the people that drafted Clowney?............

houstonstime likes this.
  2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

He was the consensus #1 pick. It didn't take any drafting skill to know that.

CallMeTheDream likes this.
  3. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

But wait, didn't resident football expert Boobie the Great declare him a 4th stringer? Not worthy of our lamentation?

4. texans1095

texans1095 Member

This is ridiculous. Fortunately you're not running the Texans because this would be a classic case of overthinking. You have one of the top 5 most dominant defensive players in the league who's only 24 years old (and will be 26 when he's a free agent). Yes, you will have a lot of money invested in Watt and Clowney. However, if we are being honest and realistic, there's at least a decent chance that JJ won't be a Texan/will be retired after another season or two (if he can't regain his form that made him worthy of a $100 mil contract or if he suffers another major injury).

Is there a chance that spending roughly $100 mil on Clowney is a little too much invested in one player? Sure. But it would be ridiculous to trade him away. Even if you use that first round pick to draft an above average player, you still lose the deal. You would need to draft an absolute stud in order to make that deal worth it. Not to mention the fact that you're basically committing PR suicide. What does it tell fans if, now that you've finally found a legit franchise QB, you have Watt returning (even if he's not at peak-level JJ), and Mercilus returning and you decide to ship off the guy who is your best defensive player?

Lock him up with a monster contract and then lock up Watson in a few years. You'll have your (unquestionably) best offensive and defensive players locked up for the next several seasons. That's never a bad thing when. Especially when neither of them will be older than 26 by the time they sign an extension.

whag00 likes this.
  5. Hey Now!

Yeah, because no one has ever screwed up the top pick. Also, there were plenty of legitimate questions about Clowney in the months leading up to the draft. He was consensus by virtue of it not being a particularly good draft.

Again, I think this speaks to the inherent bias against Smith: everything good he's done either someone else conveniently did or it was a no-brainer even he couldn't screw up. And I think that's unfair. I mean, look who went top 3 the year before..... NOTHING in the NFL draft is easy.

6. Nook

Nook Member

Sure, if the Texans can get the #1 pick in the draft for Clowney, you have a good point.

texans1095 and Nimo like this.
  7. Hey Now!

Again, we have to stop pretending the #1 overall pick - or any pick - is a lay-up. It's easier.... but not easy. Literally 12 months earlier, the Chiefs blew the #1 overall pick. Some would argue the Bucs did the following year, too.

It just seems silly to anoint Clowney a transcendent player then fret over the team's that drafted him ability to draft. I mean........

zeeshan2 likes this.
  8. Nook

Nook Member

Drafting #1 is a lot easier than drafting in the middle or tail end of the first round.

Over the last 15 years, there have been only two number 1 picks that were busts. 10 of the 15 have made a Pro Bowl, and that number is likely to grow when Goff is named to the Pro Bowl.

texans1095 likes this.
  9. joeson332

joeson332 Member

LMFAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Clowney> Watt

All

Day.

10. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

I'd rather getting rid of BOB and our abysmal GM than trading Clowney, he is our best payer on defense not only that but the guy is good and he is progressively getting better every game and if he stays injury free he could be easily top 5 OLB for years to come.

11. vjohnson

vjohnson Member

Trade to Cleveland for two first rounders then we talking

12. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Clowney is a key player in the Texans quest to becoming a superteam. No way you trade him before his peak.

texans1095 and Roc Paint like this.
  13. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

I would have understood if this title would have said Watt instead of Clowney because Watt's body is almost broke down... you know what never mind this thread is wasting my time.

texans1095 and Bobbythegreat like this.
  14. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Trade Clowney? No. Cut Cushing? Yes!

red5rocket likes this.
  15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Why? What good would that do right now?

16. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

17. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

18. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Hell nah. Get Mercilus back and pray Watt gets back to 80% of his former self. If not, cut Watt loose and find another stud on the D line

texans1095 likes this.
  19. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

So you're saying that just the fact that they seem to have gotten that 1 pick right (out of all the picks they've had over the years) is proof positive that RS & co. are competent or even good/elite at drafting?
    And I also know that people were saying that K. Mack should have been the pick there.
    I haven't followed him this year but I know the Raiders defense has regressed.
    I just don't know if Mack has as well.

I wouldn't even trade Clowney for 2 1st rounders unless it was to an at the top of the draft team.
    2 picks at 30-32 from the Pats?
    No thanks.
    Especially with as you say "the people that drafted Clowney" making the selection(s).
    'Cause I look at their entire body of work.

I just hope JD will remain durable from now on.

20. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Cushing has been washed up for a while. Time to move on.