1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2017 Smart Phones

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by BiGGieStuFF, Jan 3, 2017.

1. ramotadab

ramotadab Member

The link/picture did not post.

2. ramotadab

ramotadab Member

3. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

Hmm Try this one

EDIT: oh, double check to see if it's blocked by your ad blocker. The amazon link became a clutchfan affliated link when I post it. It's item B075TNXJMW

AMS and ramotadab like this.
  4. what

what Member

I switched to a Motorola z2 force from a Galaxy S8. There are several reasons why the z2 force is the superior phone.

Price and value. The S8 is running $750.00. The Z2 is $500. In addition, if you drop the S8 without a case it will break--guaranteed. The Z2 Force has a shatter proof screen. So here you have to make a choice. Put a clunky case on it like the outterbox or buy insurance, which is $10 a month and 175.00 to replace. With the Z2, you can avoid the case, and the insurance. If you drop the phone and you get scratches on the shattershield it will cost $50 to replace it. The point is that the Motorola phone will save you money.

Secondly, the fingerprint scanner. Aside from the fact that the S8 put it in an awkward place, it never worked smoothly. The Z2 works every time to perfection. I think this is because the Z2 scanner is much larger. Whatever it is, it works a lot better. I can also use it to lock the phone. The S8 has the menu drop-down feature, but I never used it.

Third, while the S8 packed a better battery than the Z2, which would seem to be an advantage, don't overlook the fact that the Z2 comes with a feature called turbopower. Basically, an example. On the Z2 in less than 40 minutes I charged 50% of the battery. The S8 would have taken about 2 hours to charge the same amount. The Z2 is also more efficient overall. The S8 really drains the battery quick.

The Z2 is thinner and lighter than the S8. The shape of the phone is an advantage to S8 in that it is sleeker but it is significantly heavier than the Z2, so it is a draw on this.

Bloatware. The Z2 is pretty stock Android. Samsung is Samsung. They also have bixby button and the flippage app that you can't change. When you swipe to the left with the Z2, it comes up with Google cards.

I haven't mentioned the mods, but if you want the you have the option.

The S8 predictive text always pissed me off. The keyboard and many of the apps was pretty hard to control the letter you wanted. Plus, the talk button was really bad. This may be personal preference, but the Z2 is so much easier and smarter.

Probably the biggest win for the S8 is it's use of the screen. It is better than the Z2. The keyboard on the z2 takes up half the screen on the z2. Also the back, home and recent apps on the S8 can be changed. The Z2 cant. So, if you don't like the back button on the left too bad. I am sure that you could download other launchers, like the Nova to do it, but this is the out of the box review.

Anyway this is my review. I would advise anyone wanting to get the S8 to not do it. It ain't worth it.

ramotadab likes this.
  5. rockpileindisma

Nobody calls you

6. ramotadab

ramotadab Member

Just got the Motorola Z2 Force from Tmobile for $300 on a Cyber Monday deal. Any Moto Mods your recommend I get? I can get the projector for free through Motorola.

7. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Another great thing about the Moto Z2 is that you can get rid of your desktop computer and just use the phone.

8. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

What kind of charger were you using? It only takes 1 hour and 30 minutes to fully charge my S8 from 3 percent.

ramotadab likes this.
  9. what

what Member

Yeah, none of them. :) I somewhat like the game controller because it is temporary. You won't need extra battery. The moto z is extremely efficient. The problem with the game controller is that not many games support it. The mods just make the phone bulky. If you like shooting video then the 360 camera is amazing, but it has an amazing price too.

The main thing you need to get is a screen protector, something really thin will do. Scratches on this phone are real.

10. what

what Member

Also, how do you like the phone? It's nice right?

11. ramotadab

ramotadab Member

Had it for about 5 days now and I absolutely love it. Ordered a couple of Incipio cases because I am scared the camera lens will get scratched. Also the phone is so light in my hand I am scared I will drop it. I also purchased a screen protector. I have some concerns about battery life though. It is pretty good but I don't think I can get 2 full days out of it like my BlackBerry Keyone.

12. Rizzy

Rizzy Member

I picked up the G6 during BF for $125 and love it. Great screen, size, quality, and surprisingly buttery smooth. Not a lot of bloatware and it feels like stock Android. Very impressed.

ramotadab and fba34 like this.
  13. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Gonna ditch this S8, someone @ me when a great deal on an unlocked Note 8 or Pixel 2XL drops. THX

14. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Would anyone recommend trading in my 6P for $145 via Project Fi for a Pixel XL? That would bring the price down to $524 for last year's XL. My only concern is the shelf life of the XL when it comes to OS updates.

15. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Just buy a used pixel XL. You'll get one for way less than $524. You can easily find one under $400. Here are current swappa prices for an unlocked Google Store Pixel XL.

ramotadab likes this.
  16. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Thanks for the link. I've never heard of this site. How reputable would you say it is?

17. geeimsobored

They screen phones quite well. I myself have bought several phones off of swappa. You get all of the paypal protections as well. Overall, its the safest used phone marketplace that I've found. I've bought a couple of iphones, and a nexus 6 with no issues. I believe others on cfans have used it as well.

ramotadab, OmegaSupreme and mtbrays like this.
  18. Rox11

Rox11 Member

5t anyone?

ramotadab likes this.
  19. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

Swappa has some good deals. You even find new ones on there with warranties. If you are not into custom ROMS, you can even look at the Verizon pixel XL ones as well. They are compatible with all the same carriers as the Google model.

I'd suggest finding a new model if possible. Buying a used phone with AMOLED screens can sometimes come with burn in that your can't notice in pictures

20. geeimsobored

One other note, if you're on Verizon, they're currently discounting the Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL. It's $300 off at the moment with no trade in requirement. That seems like a solid deal.

buffalobills!!! likes this.