1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rate the last movie(s) you watched

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ClutchCityReturns, Jan 26, 2009.

1. omgTHEpotential

Love how he does his own back vocals... Oh, and the 1:44 :D

2. Buck Turgidson

There's just so much awesomeness: the little kid running up to the stage and then seemingly saying "oh hell no" and hauling ass away; the guy coming out and tuning his guitar for him while he's playing, *everything* about the keyboards and vocals, the epic guitar solo....

B-Bob likes this.
  3. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I sometimes share this via email with my classes before final exams.

4. TheresTheDagger

99 Homes: 2.5 out of 5

Rented this last night based upon the reviews, the trailer, and the fact Michael Shannon was in it. The Good: The premise was interesting and Michael Shannon was really, really good. A very interesting actor to watch. The Bad: Not a huge fan of Dennis Nash. He just seemed a bit too naive and later when his conscience gets to him, it seems too contrived for someone who had done the things he did. The Ugly: Not much, but the ending was so hokey and stupid it almost ruined the film outright. A different ending could have brought my rating up to a 4 out of 5. Just so unrealistic and too obvious an attempt at a morality play.

A shame because otherwise, I was pretty enthralled throughout.

5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Wheelman is on Netflix now. 8/10.

And I'd say it scores a perfect for what the director/writer intended.

I don't post much in this thread, but will for this one. I liked it. The camera work was special,,,,made me tense, like intended by the directors, I'm sure. You have no peripheral vision, like a passenger the whole way.

6. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Finally got the courage to go see Only the Brave. It's a tough deal when you have a personal connection to a movie, especially when the subject is what it is. I'll try to be objective:

Fire is damn near impossible to realistically portray on film, but this is the best movie treatment of wildfire I've seen.

That said, some of the fire behavior is a bit strange--but not nearly as bad as Bambi--and some of the details are wrong for dramatic license, but most people won't notice.

Good focus on the human/family demands of being away on fires for 3-6 months of the year. That was realistic. And difficult to watch as I know many who have had those conversations with spouses and SOs.

I'm glad they focused on crew camaraderie and what makes wildland firefighting special. A lot of the firefighting dialogue was surprisingly accurate and/or on point with what you might hear on many crews and teams. However, there were a couple of places where unrealistic dialogue was inserted to heighten dramatic tension. Thankfully, this was early in the film and not in the final moments.

I'm also glad they didn't focus on the fatalities and try to answer the why question definitively. They did a great job of dealing with the uncertainty through visuals instead of dialogue and again, I'm sure some of that may be missed by the general audience. There's one key shot that only last for a second or two but will hit every wildland firefighter in the gut. Hard.

All in all, it's a good introduction to wildland firefighting and we've needed a legit movie treatment for a long time. It just sucks that the inspiration was death.

I'd recommend it to everyone, but it is not a happy ending. You might find it a bit dusty in the theater by the end.

heypartner and B-Bob like this.
  7. Jontro

Jontro Member

saw a bunch of movies on recent plane rides... none of them were good.

the dark tower put me to sleep halfway thru, didn't even care to finish.

the big sick was also really bad.

8. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Justice League - 8/10

Wonder Woman rocked again. Cyborg was well done. Aqua Man surprised as well.

They balance the individual characters better than the Avengers. It helps when half the heroes (Flash, AquaMan, Cyborg) don't have previous movies that have to be built from. Likewise, I have always found that the X-Men worker better than the Avengers. The heroes (except Wolverine) always work as an essemble.

This was way better than expected, given the stories of rewrites, director changes, etc.

9. joeson332

joeson332 Member

Inside Man by Spike Lee.
    Has Denzel, Clive Owen, Willem Dafoe (trully underrated), Jodie Foster, Christopher Plummer. Really enjoyed it, not a typical bank robbery movie. Strong 3.5/5.

Before that was Jim & Andy. I have to words: HOLY ****!!!!!!!
    holy shi
    holy shi
    holy shi

Jim Carrey is a bizarre insane genius!

eric.81 likes this.
  10. joeson332

joeson332 Member

Something about them and their fascination with torture films. I read a premise and was curious to watch it but at the end of the day said nah. There is another I am curious to watch is Begotten. I swear Im not demented, I was just curious.

11. joeson332

joeson332 Member

wish I felt the same, I love DC comics, but they have failed with the movies. I loved Cyborg and Aquaman and Flash's comedic relief. Would have been better to see their seperate films first to get their back story. It was too short for me.

12. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Saw Coco today. Incredible film with a touching story, beautifully animated and memorable music. And in true Pixar fashion, it packs an emotional punch that may bring you to tears.
    9/10

And finally sat down to watch the Netflix Original (sorta) Spectral. Very well made, and you can tell the money that was put into it before Universal pulled it and sold the rights to Netflix. It's nothing too original, but if you like fun and intense sci-fi action with a story that's similar to Final Fantasy: Spirit's Within, then it's worth a look.
    7/10

13. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Pixar Coco - 10/10
    Amazing eye candy.
    Songs nicely done, which is really not Pixar’s calling card.
    Very simple story arc, heart felt with a light touch.

Pixar is still on their game.

14. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Loving Vincent

It's about the son of Vincent Van Gogh's mailman attempting to deliver a letter to Vincent's brother Theo and speaking to people around town about the circumstances around Vincent's death. Not a particularly brilliant plot, but every frame of the film is an oil painting (65,000 total) and it's a remarkable visual achievement, up there with Waking Life for me.

15. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Saw COCO last night -- 10/10
    As the kids on the internet say, COCO was lit AF.

16. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

Last movies I've seen:

batman vs two-face: 9/10 makes me miss adam west though
    justice league - 5/10 had some moments but ultimately left me feeling like i dont really mind if there are no other DC movies made again outside of wonder woman
    Murder on Orient Express - 6.5/10 - I was hoping for more but it was entertaining
    Thor - 8/10 -- Funnier than I thought it would be
    Wind River 8/10 - really good and suspenseful
    Logan Lucky - 8.5/10 Daniel Craig kills it in this movie and it was really fun and funny

17. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Can you each say if you saw it in 3D or Standard. And do you think it matters which?

18. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Standard ... 3d is a bad fad that won't die.

Obito, MadMax and heypartner like this.
  19. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Same here. Only movie that's ever been good in 3D was Avatar.

moestavern19 likes this.
  20. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

I thought the Big Sick was great. Was debating on seeing Dark Tower, and will now since we clearly don't share taste in movies.

eric.81 likes this.