1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Soup

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Buck Turgidson, Nov 20, 2017.

1. Buck Turgidson

Soup weather is here, hopefully for a while (I made chili last week when it was 75 degrees outside and it just didn't feel right). When it's cold, I can eat soup just about every day. Sooo...what are some of yall's favorites? Any good recipes? These are in my annual rotation but I feel the need to branch out:

Tortilla soup (best I've ever had, tricked out the recipe I got from my mom who got it from Chef Menke at the old Rotisserie for Beef and Bird)
    Pho (thanks to the helpers in a thread I posted last year)
    Black bean
    Gumbo
    Minestrone

Haven't made caldo de res in so long I'd have to look up a recipe to make sure I wasn't forgetting something. As much as I love spicy asian stuff, I've never tried to do tom kha gai or any Thai-type soup myself. Same with miso.

Deckard, malakas, Harrisment and 2 others like this.
  2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Time for the Beef Stew
    Chili

Rocket River

Deckard and Jontro like this.
  3. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I don't f**k with soup. Only Sauce. Raw Sauce. Just Sauce.

4. Buck Turgidson

Speaking of, I need to make a big ol' pot of red sauce out of all the roasted garden tomatoes I have in the freezer.

This one sounds good, quick and easy, saw it in the Austin paper the other day, haven't tried it yet:

Spinach, Sausage and Orzo Soup

http://www.mystatesman.com/lifestyl...-you-can-make-minutes/heYqb6LYmqXwAdYFPQBqxL/

Spinach, Sausage and Orzo Soup

Orzo is the perfect pasta for soup. Shaped like grains of rice, it cooks quickly in broth, taking on the flavor of the soup. Orzo cooks quicker than other pastas, so serve straightaway, otherwise it may become mushy. Switch the fresh herbs for a drizzle of homemade pesto if you fancy, or add a spoonful of aioli or salsa verde.

6 plump sausages — look for something with lots of onion or garlic

2 tablespoons olive oil

1 onion, diced

1 carrot, coarsely chopped

1 stalk of celery, diced

2 cloves of garlic, crushed

1 tablespoon tomato paste

Generous pinch of freshly grated nutmeg

Small pinch of dried oregano

Scant 3 1/2 cups hot chicken or vegetable broth

1 bay leaf

3 1/2 ounces orzo or other small pasta

2 1/2 cups spinach, stems removed, coarsely chopped

2 tablespoons light or heavy cream

Salt and freshly ground black pepper

To serve:

Fresh parsley, chopped

Fresh basil, chopped

Freshly grated Parmesan

Remove the sausage casings and shape the meat into little meatballs. Place the oil in a heavy pan with a lid over medium to high heat and add the sausage meatballs. Brown them all over, then lift out and set aside. Turn the heat down to medium and add the onion, carrot, celery and a pinch of salt and pepper; saute for 10 minutes, until soft and beginning to brown.

Add the garlic and tomato paste and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Next, add the nutmeg, oregano, broth and bay leaf and bring to a simmer. Cook for 10 minutes.

Add the orzo, spinach and meatballs and simmer for 4 minutes, or until the orzo and meatballs are cooked. Remove from the heat, add the cream, and remove the bay leaf. Taste and add more salt, freshly ground black pepper or nutmeg, if necessary.

Serve in wide bowls, with the parsley, basil, and freshly grated Parmesan on top. Serves 4.

5. Jontro

Jontro Member

does pho count as soup?

6. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Pho..

Colt45 likes this.
  7. cardpire

cardpire Member

Fire off that tortilla soup recipe.

Need to make sure u know what great tortilla soup is.

8. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Not soup but made a big pot of Brunswick stew last week with some left over smoked pulled pork, venison, and pork sausage. Easy recipe, turns out great every time.

9. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I judge Chinese restaurants by their hot & sour soup. Love that crap.

The crawfish bisque at Pappadeaux is great...but ask them to blacken the crawfish first and it's outstanding.

Seafood gumbo is possibly my favorite meal.

I can't cook for ish

10. Nigel Thornberry

I’m craving some Pho or Baked potato soup..

MadMax likes this.
  11. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

imo lobster or crab bisque is the peak of soup gastronomy. it takes a very skilled chef to prepare it properly, however, so unfortunately i don't eat it often.

Nigel Thornberry likes this.
  12. Nigel Thornberry

That’s fair

13. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

Great now I need to find some good soup.

14. hvic

hvic Member

Pho, Ramen and korean rib soup are usually my to go soups for the cold but too damn time consuming and easier for me to just buy it.

15. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

this thread brings back memories of the real life soup nazi who ran 'Soup Kitchen' on 55th & 8th. just like in the seinfeld episode, his mulligatawny really was the ish

16. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

@Buck Turgidson : from how good of a cook you are and how much you like to experiment, your list makes me guess that you're not a big fan of bisques or cream-based soups (to include coconut).

[EDIT] just noticed your last comment about tom kha gai.

I've never made vegan, vegetable creamed soups, but have had some shockingly good ones.

Takes a lot of shells, too. So, a lot of people just skimp on the required ingredients for the base. Restaurants have no shortage of shells, fishheads, etc to make a proper bisque base and other seafood stocks.

And few like to squeeze that mess through cheese-cloth.

pippendagimp likes this.
  17. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

exactly on point. and a couple other details typically overlooked are the deglazing with a good brandy, and knowing the exact moment to begin whisking in the cream

18. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

I like butternut squash soup around this time of year because it's so easy. Just roast it for an hour with a sliced leek, yellow onion, and grannysmith apple then puree it with veg or chicken stock. Garnish with some chopped bacon, chive, and olive oil.

19. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Love soup. Love almost all of them.

Probably boring, or "classic" of me...

... but still, at the end of the day, a really well done French Onion soup takes the cake for me. All the gooey cheese melted on top. Perfect croutons in there. Generally prefer a real bowl, but sometimes with a bread bowl.

malakas, Os Trigonum and heypartner like this.
  20. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

I've been looking for a good tortilla soup recipe. Most i've found have been lacking.