1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Offseason Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Nov 2, 2017.

1. Nook

Nook Member

I don’t think he will be as big a loss after 2018 because I don’t think he will produce nearly at the level he did in 2017.

2. the shark

the shark Member

Looking at Verlander's contract, there's a clause that a 2020 option will vest (@ 22 million) if he's in the Top 5 voting for the Cy Young in '19.

3. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I believe when they traded him they reworked his contract to void the 2020 option.

No Worries likes this.
  4. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

McCann seems bipolar at times

5. the shark

the shark Member

I see no mention of this (reworking this clause in the contract) in every article I've read after the trade went down. Most of these articles speak about the 2020 clause. I'm not saying that it wasn't voided, but just haven't seen anything. Would be interested to know if it's definitely still in the contract?

6. conquistador#11

dam suns, Lance Mccullers was just on with Seth and his A.I doll. Maybe J.R can find the podcast clip, I tried but their webpage makes it hard to navigate.
    Lance said he was frustrated at everyone, promises being made and broken about not being one of the starters when the playoffs began. He felt he was a big part of why they were successful in the first half of the season.The wifey kept him focused. Carlos correa played some Drake song about getting married young when Lance got married, now Carlos is getting married. Carlos has seen the light.

Had this been the astros 2002, he'd been traded 30 minutes ago. But with this awesome organization it's more like, let it all out Lance and leave some more in so you can breathe orange fire on those rangers and the rest of the AL.

7. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

Not an official link, but here:
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...ander-trade-astros-tigers-approval/625535001/

Verlander, once the Astros agreed to provide full no-trade rights while also voiding the 2020 option year in his contract, agreed with about two minutes before midnight.

Joe Joe, Snake Diggit and juicystream like this.
  8. the shark

the shark Member

9. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Guys expecting their roles to be a certain way and to be perceived a certain way is a recipe for disappointment. While I understand him having that feeling, to voice it so publicly and to leave the impression that he would have pitched better had they given him the WS role he thought he was due, sounds like sour grapes to me. I maybe wrong. I hope so.

As long as he doesn't become a black hole in the clubhouse, I agree that I dont expect this to have any real consequence, for now.

#449 jim1961, Nov 14, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
  10. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

This? The discussion about his role starts around 7:00

https://player.fm/series/mad-radio-...with-world-series-champion-lance-mccullers-jr

#450 juicystream, Nov 14, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
    conquistador#11 likes this.
  11. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

12. Buck Turgidson

13. juicystream

"I was told a lot of things going into the postseason. They all ended up being false."

Felt good about that start in Boston, just had some bad breaks in the 4th. They made their choice based on my results making them feel uncomfortable, but I knew I felt good. Just needed the time to get back into things, but people weren't giving me the time. Yankees series was able to get back into the flow to start again.

Had to paraphrase the rest.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  14. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

You are; I heard it and he was just being honest in a manner that's (usually) only possible when everything turns out well. And it did: he started game 7 of the World Series, for heaven's sake. He's fine.

15. Buck Turgidson

What did he say about Game 7?

16. juicystream

Yankees: Curveball was working so I talked to Brian and said lets keep throwing them. Doesn't believe there is such thing as a FB count. Not afraid to walk or hit somebody (no crap).

Dodgers: Knew leash was short. Said they were diving over the plate, so only a couple of those hit batters should have been hit. Pitching up and in to get them off the plate. Balls were different. Balls have been juiced (paraphrasing here) since allstar break 2015. No problem facing someone with bases loaded. Might as well have said he hit good players to get to other guys.

conquistador#11 and Rodman23 like this.
  17. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

When he hit Turner the second time, my initial reaction was that looked intentional for Turner leaning in on 1st HBP. My brain took over and I quickly realized that McCullers wouldn't hit someone on purpose in Game 7 of the World Series. After hearing him talk, I'm not sure now as he still seems salty about guys leaning in and crowding the plate.

18. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Crock of crap.

The AL and NL managers of the year were the managers of the wild card teams. Torey Lovullo (DBacks) and Paul Molitor (Twins)

Hinch was 3rd behind Molitor and Francona.

conquistador#11 and jim1961 like this.
  19. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I can understand being behind Molitor, but not sure how the Manager from the team that went to the 2016 WS was voted over him.

20. fiersdownbelow

What did Lovullo (who?) and Molitor (who?) do that was so spectacular? Can someone fill me in?

I get that it's a regular season award and I feel like Hinch wasn't stellar during the RS but why not give it to Francona?