1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Best dish at any restaurant in Houston?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by LardLad, Dec 28, 2014.

1. Buck Turgidson

No.

I have no idea how this chili is going to turn out...I took the poblanos and fresnos and anaheims from the garden, put them on the smoker for a couple of hours, then put them in the dehydrator. Ground a bunch up earlier for a test run, it may be hotter than hell.

[​IMG]

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Oh, Pappy's then? Never heard of it, but The Mason Jar brings back memories.

Good luck on your chili. Post pictures. I just procured two pork butts at half price, and figuring I need a pork-based chili recipe for one of them....last one I just invented on the fly. I do have some frozen smoker-based, Pork au jus from the previous two, though. That will help anything.

3. Buck Turgidson

Good man. I have several many tiny tupperware containers in the big freezer with various leftover juices. And stock.

I really am curious how this chili powder turns out.

4. Buck Turgidson

Wanna meet me in Terlingua next summer? I think I've outdone myself.

VooDooPope and heypartner like this.
  5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Tiny's, last time I went, didn't seem abnormally young, but the servers seem to be from nearby high schools I guess. Bebidas, which is nearby is definitely a HS kiddo hangout. And Ouissie's is for geezers, super boring atmosphere, but underrated southern cooking.

6. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

My man. Filet at El Tiempo is what I was coming to post.

Big MAK and Buck Turgidson like this.
  7. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

My coworker told me that she had a brisket fajita plate at El tiempo that was awesome. The kitchen said that the carne was not looking good so they offered her an off the menu brisket plate. Apparently this is available all of the time.

8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Yeah, I was thinking he meant where HS girls want to go on a date, since I thought maybe he was talking about 80/90's era Ouissie's. Tiny's seemed like the River Oaks MILF crowd, but definitely a place for a Lamar dude to be expected to take his St. John's date.

9. Buck Turgidson

Serious question: is there a better fajita in Houston?

I liked Teotehuacan on Irvington and Original Ninfas and El Tiempo on Richmond ten years ago.

I need to know what fajitas to hit when I hit Houston.

10. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

I don't think so. El Tiempo and Ninfa's on Nav are the two that come to mind, though I haven't been to Ninfa's since they opened an El Tiempo right next to it, if that tells you anything.

eric.81 likes this.
  11. the shark

the shark Member

Buck there is a place down the street on Irvington called Fiesta en Guadalajara. Try their papa nachos. Flat out incredible!!!

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Ninfa's is better by far IMO. Just not sure about fajitas specifically. They both serve good fajitas, personally I'm not crying over one or the other being vastly superior. It's not a very difficult or complex dish.

13. Buck Turgidson

Dude, they have a website and online menu and hell yes. Thanks!

14. Buck Turgidson

Huh. Family Matters?

The Deluxe Mixed Grill at El Tiempo was my go-to.

15. the shark

the shark Member

A friend of mine took me there years ago to specifically introduce me to the papa nachos. They were so damn good I went back three times in about ten days. I have told hundreds of people about this place over the yrs (and the papa nachos), and everyone who's tried it has said it was one of the best things they've ever eaten.

16. Buck Turgidson

I used to meet my pops and his downtown banker/lawyer types at Teo's, or Spanish Flower. Strangely enough, he turned me on to the Last Concert Cafe, he went for lunch, I went after dark. Carolyn Wonderland was on Wednesdays and the Hightailers were Thursdays iirc.

the shark likes this.
  17. the shark

the shark Member

"Carolyn Wonderland and the Hightailers".....I remember those days like it was yesterday!!!!

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  18. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Was there a lot ILLEGAL IN THIS STATE ACTIVITY? Wednesday's were the day IIRC.

19. Buck Turgidson

Awesome! I wish I could find the Hightailers' cd from back then, those guys jammed.

20. Buck Turgidson

I don't know what this means.