1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Clint Capela really the answer at the C position?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Snow Villiers, Oct 13, 2017.

?

Is Clint Capela really the answer at the C position?

1. Yes- Its just preseason

155 vote(s)
    71.1%
  2. No- Upgrade needed by the deadline

63 vote(s)
    28.9%
  1. basketballholic

Withey, at that time, was clearly the better defender. Capela has improved since then. I'm still not sold on Capela defensively as much as I am Withey. Withey has developed some head problems though which have gotten worse. Major mar1juana problem. Has stunted him. And prevented him from being in the league actually. He's regressed. Capela has progressed.

2. basketballholic

The thing I'm watching is his stamina and defense. Last three games he's over 30 minutes. That's great. And his defense has been solid, good enough to be championship worthy. Watching to see if he can hold the fort down consistently at 30 minutes.

It's still early. But he has looked good early. If he can hold this level of defense and rebounding when we get into the meat of the season and we're jostling with playoff contenders I'll be happy.

I still have big question marks about his stamina and mental toughness. I'm not convinced those things have changed. I'm not convinced he can handle the issue of a sped up game against our own defense with pressure applied to him consistently. But I'm ready willing to acknowledge, for the moment, that he's playing very well. I'd love to see him play like this consistently and not wilt when we get into wars with the dubs, spurs, etc. Prove it to me, CC.

D-rock, Deuce, Vivi and 2 others like this.
  3. Corpusfan

Corpusfan Member

How long does this guy have to exceed expectations before he finally gets the credit he deserves? His chemistry on this team is perfect. The grass is always greener, I guess. ...

4. YOLO

YOLO Member

hes already getting credit from a ton of us that recognize how hes gotten better year after year and continuing to do so. theres really only one person on this board that for some reason people need to feel like he has to impress.

CC is going to have a tremendous year. And he comes without any headaches or drama. the fact that we grabbed versatile defenders in the offseason only helps him defensively. And they are core rotation guys

TheMystery008 likes this.
  5. Rockets4lf

Rockets4lf Member

This dude is moving around really well. He is adapting to the game at an insane level. I can see him becoming Hakeem in a few year. He's really quick and has really good touch around the basket. He's getting more and more comfortable playing out there.

dawesome likes this.
  6. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Hakeem? Let's not go overboard

7. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

I've been a huge fan of Clint since we drafted him, but I honestly thought we might have seen all he had to offer last year. But then he goes and becomes one of the best rebounders in the league and starts blocking more shots AND starts hitting more freethrows. As of right now you might just need to pay this guy this summer and know you've got that position locked up. Really don't want to go back to the days before him and Dwight where our center position was a rotating door of undersized and over the hill guys.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  8. topfive

topfive CF OG

Enjoy the above sentence, folks, because it's as close to an admission of being wrong as you're ever likely to see from this guy.

And he's wrong, like, ALL the time.

9. dawesome

dawesome Member

with the level of play hes showing now and doesnt get in foul trouble, we can say he has good BB IQ

10. basketballholic

Easily not true. When I'm wrong I admit it. My analysis of Clint has simply been he's not a championship capable starting center. If we win a championship or even get to the Finals and are competitive I will gladly acknowledge I way overstated his mental slowness and his lack of stamina. I still don't believe he will overcome those issues. But I'm willing to admit if he ever does.

Look, games in November are a far cry from May/June. Nobody should read too much into our start in relation to winning a championship. We are obviously a top 4 playoff cede barring Harden injury. That's a given. Great start. We'll push the 60 win plateau if healthy.

But the playoffs are wars with wicked ball movement offenses. Very frankly, our weakness is still interior defense. Let's see if we move Clint for a legit superstar at the deadline or if we keep him will he wilt and fold at the end or will he continue to play difference making defense in the middle for us until the lights go out. Guys like you could be very wrong about where Clint actually is as a player. Will you admit it?

11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

When looking at the Warriors
    "Legit superstar"
    Like who?

Rocket River

12. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

D-rock likes this.
  13. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

From that article:

"So why did the Mavs choose to go after Jeff Withey? For one, the Mavs have been closely linked to the Utah Jazz over the years. The Mavs have consistently looked to add players who have come through that organization at some point in their career. Wesley Matthews, Devin Harris, Jeremy Evans, and Deron Williams have all been additions to the roster after playing for the Jazz."

Proof that evil conspires in the NBA. Illuminati.

hakeem94 likes this.
  14. Rockets4lf

Rockets4lf Member

If motherfking Tristan Thompson can get the max, this dude will get the max.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  15. YOLO

YOLO Member

TT isn't getting paid max. although he is getting alot more than what he should probably get

Mazulis likes this.
  16. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Thompson wasn't going to get the max until Lebron intervened. Of course the Cavs caved because Lebron is their franchise. He got Thompson, JR Smith, and Shumpert their contracts, the market wasn't there for them otherwise. Lebron could get me on an NBA contract if he wanted. Same as how Bobby Buckets has a spot on this team as long as Harden is here.

17. YOLO

YOLO Member

he didnt get TT max anyway. he got them to increase their offer but still wasn't max

hakeem94 likes this.
  18. D-rock

D-rock Member

Only thing I'd add is getting stronger does not necessarily mean getting heavier.

19. RocketsTruth

RocketsTruth Member

clint was probably our best player in the spurs series last year

20. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

Lol, so the ONLY way you’ll say that Clint is legit is if we make it to the finals. Nice, in that case Harden hasn’t proven much either