1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fire Bill O'Brien

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by DonnyMost, Sep 23, 2016.

?

Should we fire Bill O'Brien?

1. Yes

76.0%
  2. No

15.9%
  3. Abstain (for the moment)

8.2%
  1. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

He picked the veteran quarterback over the rookie. 99 percent of coaches would do the same thing. He also changed it after one half. He’s basically made chicken salad out of chicken **** as long as he’s been here. I guess some people can’t see it though. He’s coaching a team with no depth and little healthy talent. I don’t think anyone would do much better with what he’s working with. It’s a garbage organization.

red5rocket, JoeBarelyCares and texian like this.
  2. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I think O'Brien is a good coach, maybe even a good coordinator. But he's not a particularly good head coach. Likewise, I think Vrabel is a good position coach but I'm not sure he's a good coordinator (although it's still his first year). Just because you're good at one aspect of coaching doesn't mean you'll be good at another.

Just like how Romeo Crennel and Wade Phillips clearly excel as defensive coordinators but aren't head coach material.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  3. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

No problem with him starting Savage to open the season. Big problem with how terrible he has been despite it being his 4th year in the system and how much preparation went into it this offseason.

There is something very wrong when you bench your starting QB after a half of football in 2 of your last 3 season openers.

Nook and conquistador#11 like this.
  4. texian

texian Member

How many head coaches have you heard say,

"It's all on the players. We don't have good players at very many positions, and most of the ones we have played like crap. Our offensive line has 4 starters who wouldn't make the 53 man roster of the most teams. We've got turnstiles at 4 positions there and a first year player. We traded our best OL instead of guaranteeing his salary. Because who needs LTs, right?"

"And our backup QB is playing like the 5th round QB he is. That's why we drafted one. We had a third one but the GM didn't want him on the 53, so he's in Tennessee now for reasons unknown to me... just like AJ Bouye is in Jacksonville..."

Pretty sure Gary Kubiak blamed the players and GM like that after every game, right?

And he won a Super Bowl after leaving Houston.

Hank McDowell likes this.
  5. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

The team won because of the defense not because of Bob.

Nook and juanm34 like this.
  6. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

The team also won by trashing the rest of the division. The best games of his that I can name were close call losses. Not many memorable wins, maybe the 6 td game against the t***, but he's put up several stinkers and several goose eggs, every season, in big games that are gonna be burned in my memory.

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Health solves alot of issues
    Healthy JJ WATT and Company would make our secondary look alot better.
    DeShawn will make the offense look better

Rocket River

conquistador#11 likes this.
  8. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Where I blame O'Brien is with Savage. He's been in the system for the entirety of BO'B's tenure and he is still not even remotely ready to be a starting QB. Like @gucci888 said, there's something wrong when your chosen opening day starter has been replaced 1/2 way in the Game 1 in 2 out of the last 3 seasons. WTF are they doing in camp if they aren't spending some of it getting ready for Week freakin 1?

With a fully healthy roster going into 2018, we are an AFC favorite. I'm just not sure it's going to happen with O'Brien. He, four years in, is still making some of the same silly mistakes with game planning and in-game management. They've given him a fair chance and it's time to move on after this season.

9. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I think the only player that matters is Watson. They didn't have jj last year and they were the best d in the NFL. At his salary and his injuries is he an asset to the team?

10. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Know what else would make the secondary and offense look better?

A different head coach.

Nook, Rocket River and Mr. Clutch like this.
  11. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

O'Brien doubled down on this strategy Sunday.

7 points.

12. gucci888

The front 7 is actually playing better statistically speaking. Through 9 games, we have 3 more sacks, 5 more forced fumbles, and 9 more run stuffs than this time last year. Yet we have given up 19 passing TDs already when we gave up 20 all last season.

Letting Demps and Bouye walk without viable replacements destroyed the secondary. Jonathan Joseph simply cannot cover anymore.

13. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

BOB's contract is up at the end of next season.

You can't let him go into next year as a lame duck.

He either needs an extension (the football equivalent of seppuku) or to be let go.

Nook likes this.
  14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I tried.

Rocket River

DonnyMost likes this.
  15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Understood

Rocket River
    I tried. . .

16. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

2017 PFF Grades

J. Joseph
    Overall 82.2
    #25 CB

K. Johnson
    Overall 33.6
    #115 CB

K. Jackson
    Overall 45.1
    #95 CB

M. Gilchrist
    Overall 77.8
    #31 S

A. Hal
    Overall 74.3
    #51 S

....the guys we let walk

A.J. Bouye
    Overall 88.3
    #8 CB

Q. Demps
    Overall 43.4
    #75 S

B. McCain
    Overall 45.2
    #93 CB

....Bouye got an enormous contract with a very large guarantee, and he's living up to it.

Thanks a lot, Assweiler.

17. gucci888

Yup this is one thing that is kinda being overlooked. It worked out well for Garrett and the Cowboys but really been a mixed bag with others. 1-year extension's haven't worked out well.

18. texian

texian Member

Yeah. No... not close.

Hope you didn't pay $200 for that, lol.

19. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

We needed someone like Bouye he was one of the key reasons our defense was still strong even after losing Watt.

20. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Yeah our secondary was actually the strong point of our defense, even better than our pass rush last year. Bouye may have been our best defensive player

People said we'd be fine with Watt coming back, but we can't count on him after those injuries, sadly