1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Clint Capela is the X-Factor

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Os Trigonum, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

article link

http://cdn.espn.go.com/nba/story/_/...-clint-capela-houston-rockets-x-factor-season

The money passage:

Sure, the spotlight in Houston shines on the pairing of perennial All-Star facilitators in the backcourt. However, for the Rockets to have any real hope of dethroning the defending champion Golden State Warriors, they'll need Capela to be their poor man's Wilt Chamberlain.

"The only way [to overcome the Warriors] is to develop near-elite two-way players," Morey said. "I think Clint has that potential. He's on the way. He took a big step forward last year. It's a lot to put on one guy, but we need one more step, at least."

Despite splashy moves like the trade for Paul, Capela remains the Rockets' X factor: the one young player on Houston's veteran-heavy roster with the hope for dramatic growth.

Capela's scoring and rebounding averages increased significantly in his first season as a full-time starter, comparing favorably to the age-22 seasons of Rudy Gobert and DeAndre Jordan, the league's premier centers in the rim runner/rebounder/rim protector mold.

This season, Capela is off to a hot start as an analytics All-Star, ranking fifth in the league with a 28.6 player efficiency rating, higher than Harden's and those of defending champions Stephen Curry and Kevin Durant.​

#1 Os Trigonum, Nov 9, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
    ico4498, Houstunna, srrm and 8 others like this.
  2. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Stop it.

heypartner likes this.
  3. Mazulis

Mazulis Member

And here we go!

4. mightybosstone

Read it this morning. Before the Capela haters start their rants, I'd recommend reading it as it was well-written and makes some solid points.

I do think it's a little ridiculous that some in the article are quoted as saying he has the potential to be the best center in the league. That's definitely an overstatement. But I don't think the article overstates Capela's significance to this team. It's easy to say "All he does is rebound, set screens, roll the basket and catch lobs for dunks." But he does those things at an elite level and fits this offense like a glove that few other centers in the league could. Also, I just like the guy as a person and want to see him succeed.

don grahamleone and RudyTBag like this.
  5. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

You Capela haters better get used to the idea of Capela making a lot of money as a Rocket.

joshuaao, Plowman and Mazulis like this.
  6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Os Trigonum likes this.
  7. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

got it, didn't see the bottom headline on the phone

Permanent message for this post: media conspiracy

#7 Os Trigonum, Nov 9, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
    hakeem94 likes this.
  8. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Seems crazy to say he might become one of the best C's in the league.

OTOH, it is insane that this kid has become today's Clint Capela:

One thing I've learned about Clint is that if you sleep on his abilities, he will surprise you time and time again.

RudyTBag likes this.
  9. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

The link works. I'm just saying the "Houston's X-Factor" title isn't the headline when you click the link....it's a MDA quote "D'Antoni: 'A matter of time' until Capela is among NBA's elite centers". The X-Factor headline on the home page is what makes it a IDIOT thread title, so thought I'd add the screen shot to help.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  10. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Clint's improvement off the dribble from the free throw line down will give the Rockets a better shot at beating the Warriors in the playoffs.

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

12. OTMax

OTMax Member

Capela is the man!! I agree with Lucas that he needs to get that mean streak. Just like DJ, he should want to humiliate his opponent and just go beast mode. He should probably beef up a bit more though.

13. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I didn't realize how good his free throw shooting had gotten. I've seen him hitting them in games when he goes to the line, but 78%?! Not only does that eliminate Hack-A-Pela as a strategery for an opponent, but that's a high enough percentage that you could almost let him take technical foul free throws if Harden or Paul isn't in the game.

14. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

the thread title deserves its own thread on its own merits :cool:

15. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Somebody keep an eye on basketballholic. He must be fuming over this piece.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  16. bigred77

bigred77 Member

"poor mans Wilt Chamberlain" :eek::eek::eek:

Cash Cam and Os Trigonum like this.
  17. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

He loves it because he thinks we might now be able to trade Clint for Boban

RudyTBag likes this.
  18. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Clint Capela's older brother's name is Fabrice Capela?

That's a great name.

19. rocketseagles07

Once the Jazz finish as a top 4 team and capela is traded for Nerlens Noel he'll be able to tell us once again why we were wrong

20. ElDobleK

ElDobleK Literally Zan Tabak

Do people here really hate Clint? He gets worked over from time to time, but he's only 23 and has improved in every category from year to year. And he continues to add tools to his arsenal -- like how he'll put it on the floor and drive from the top of the key this season. For a unpolished Euro big man draft pick, he's one of the model success stories.
    Sorry -- do REASONABLE people here hate Clint?

s3ts likes this.