1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fire Bill O'Brien

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by DonnyMost, Sep 23, 2016.

?

Should we fire Bill O'Brien?

1. Yes

76.0%
  2. No

15.9%
  3. Abstain (for the moment)

8.2%
  1. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Sure and that's why it's tough to base any decision solely on what happens here on out. At the same time, I'm not sure BoB should get an absolute free a pass for having to play Savage and him being awful either. The playbook, off season reps, training camp, preseason, and everything else leading up to week 1 were all designed for Savage to be the starter this year. In other words, BoB shouldn't be unprepared or caught off guard to play his backup (Savage) as it is in a lot of cases where the starter goes down.

juanm34 likes this.
  2. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I agree, although I do wonder about how much the poor performance on Sunday was affected by having only one practice where they shifted back to the Savage package from what they were doing with Watson.

3. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

I know it’s hard, but I wouldn’t judge Savage off of last weeks performance.
    He looked better in the second half and I’m sure his mindset the prior 6 weeks was very down internally. A week to prepare offensively will do wonders.

4. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Ya hopefully we see game by game improvements like we did with Watson. Unfortunately he is going against Wade this week, should be a tough game.

5. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

https://www.battleredblog.com/2017/11/7/16614626/the-argument-against-retaining-bill-obrien

tierre_brown likes this.
  6. texian

texian Member

7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

"We’ll head into the 2018 offseason with major problems on the offensive line, the defensive line, and the secondary. I don’t mean those units will be below average; I mean we’re in a lot of trouble. We’re not going to be able to fix much, as we traded our first two picks next year"

"Crappy system, poor clock management, unprepared teams, lack of game awareness, inappropriate player use, knee-capping conservative play-calling and game management, and just a really, really crappy offensive scheme (yes, it’s so bad it needs to be mentioned twice)."

juanm34 likes this.
  8. texian

texian Member

That led the NFL in scoring.

This why you don't quote random drunk guy posts. I mean, his name is BigFatDrunk, lol. Nice try, Cleveland fan.

9. Mr. Clutch

Tweet from @Cianaf: Tom Savage is back and O'Brien immediately reverts to the straight dropback, isolated route offense. Incredible. https://t.co/oKAiHyYndQ

Tweet from @Cianaf: The scary part of this, the only *rational* explanation for this is O'Brien thinks more highly of Savage as a passer than Watson...

Tweet from @Cianaf: You don't need to be athletic to use play action or execute more diverse plays. Plenty of coaches across league are diverse with limited QBs.

Tweet from @Cianaf: Interestingly, O'Brien still used motion and option looks when he was running the ball, just not passing.

10. Mr. Clutch

Back to the useless O'Brien drama. Every year

11. texian

texian Member

The obvious still eludes you, Browns fan.

This drama is all about the owner and the GM. They make player decisions. McNairs are the ones who veto players for personal reasons. Where are they hiding, why aren't they answering these questions instead of O'Brien being forced to field the owner's questions?

From the guy who said Deshaun Watson would be a bust in the NFL and said Carson Wentz wouldn't be better than Blake Bortles, lol. Just another Irish guy who doesn't know isht about pro football. Try again.

12. texian

texian Member

Head Coach Bill O'Brien

Do you want Executive Vice President of Football Operations and General Manager Rick Smith to sign QB Colin Kaepernick?
    “Again, we talk about everybody that’s out there, every day. I coach the football team. What you saw yesterday, that’s what I’m in charge of. So, I just give my input, and then I coach the football team.”

Do you think QB Colin Kaepernick would help you coach the team better?
    That’s an interesting question. I would tell you that I like the guys that we have and we’re going to continue to coach them and try to do a better job of coaching them.”

Hmmm...

13. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Is it that hard to just lie and say "no"?

Mr. Clutch likes this.
  14. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

The whole story is nothing spectacular and we all know it so I’ll save the long post.

Currently, they have the worst OL in football. No QB. Half a defense. No OC. A rookie DC who isn’t setting the world ablaze. HC who has beef with the GM. GM who has fubarred most everything but 1st round picks. Team owner under fire.

This is a circus. And it’s not just him, they need to give someone besides Silent Rick a chance to make decisions. That would involve big bob having a set though.

All of them. They all need to go. Clean house.

vinsensual, Nook and Mr. Clutch like this.
  15. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

16. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I had to look and make sure that was from today and not one of the other dozens of times he's said the exact same thing.

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

Resign.

craigharmann and Nook like this.
  18. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

O’Brien is a good coach hamstrung by working for a shitty organization. The problem(s) are above him in the organizational chart, but he’s the only one who ever takes accountability for the blame. That’s really all you need to know!

19. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

What makes him a good coach. He picked Savage over Watson. His offense have never been good except when he had tb or Watson.

20. C-Mo

C-Mo Member

I'm torn on OB. The Texans have made the play-offs with Brian Hoyer and had a winning record with Fitzpatrick. Now was this because he got the most out of those guys or was it because they had the luxury of playing the AFC South? I'm leaning towards firing OB because there is no way you watch Savage in practice and keep him on the roster, let alone anoint him the starting QB. Also, Watson turning the offense around had nothing to do with OB's system, but adapting the concepts Watson ran in college.

Fire O'Brien. Hire Dabo Swinney...PROFIT!

Air Langhi likes this.