1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans sign QB Josh Johnson

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by texian, Nov 7, 2017.

1. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

If we isolate everything then yes Kaep should probably be on a team somewhere, his level of ability would be at least a back up position.

It's his right to protest anything he sees fit.

In a perfect world there would be no consequences for his peaceful protest or opinions on Police and Castro.

Unfortunately for Kaep and his supporters it doesn't work that way. The NFL is a business and Kaep position has soured away many (unfair world part) resulting in him becoming borderline toxic to revenue. The landscape nowadays is very image conscious, hard to employ someone that has split a large portion of the football watching population

2. baubo

baubo Member

I personally don't care for the Kaepernick hoopla but the Texans are pretty much displaying to all fans that Kaepernick absolutely is telling the truth here. I doubt he can prove collusion, but right now NFL team owners are really put towards the forefront of the news and they are looking really bad.

HTown_TMac and cmoak1982 like this.
  3. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

This is all accurate and I agree with it.

However, nobody in the NFL is saying any of these things. The league opens itself up to questioning when a coach says something like, "Kaepernick is a good player, but he's been away from football for a while" and then goes and signs a dude who hasn't completed a pass in 6 years.

The longer they try to pretend this is about "football reasons" the more merit the lawsuit appears to have.

4. Nimo

Nimo Member

Hard to sell "hope" to your fans when you're clearly not doing whatever and bring whoever gives you the best chance to win. The dilenma is that until someone signs Colin or he openly says he no longer wants to play, teams in desperate need of a QB are in a lose-lose. Whatever they do (sign him or don't sign him), they are bound to anger a portion of their fan base. That's why there was a lot of anger towards Jed York from the other owners. Last year, CK was just a San Francisco problem. Now he is a problem in about 10 cities.

5. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

The Brees/Watson comparison just shows that there are times where players do everything they can on their part but can't overcome the loss. Its literally the exact thing we saw this year with Watson and this defense. He was not the reason for our losses and with the worst defense in the league last season, I would venture to say Kap wasn't either. Wasn't comparing the players rather than situations we see all the time in sports.

6. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

The league operates as a business and each team operates as a separate business. The teams have every right to not employ a player for reasons outside of football, in this case it affects revenue. Similar to why Ray Rice didn't get another shot. I'm not in anyway comparing the two action wise but when a players value is not worth the value gained then there's no reason for any sensible owner to employ that player.

People can talk about reasons but at end of the day if ability<value monetarily then that player shouldn't be there. In my mind it's not football acumen, it's not race related, it's simply value.

7. rocketsqtc

rocketsqtc Member

8. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I understand your point, I really do. What I'm saying is that results in similar situations were pretty different. Watson had three times as many wins in half the games and Brees carried a really bad team to hover around .500.

When people say Kaep can come fill in and Texans make playoffs it just reeks of emotion and not rational. He proved even last year that he can't carry a team, and that had been his best year since 13. He's not in the same ballpark talent wise as Watson and definitely not Brees

9. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

So Watson is nothing? nice cherry picking...

10. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Some worked out, but for the most part our draft pick trades brought as back nothing, including giving away a second rounder instead of just cutting Brock

11. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

We got exactly what we were looking for a QB for the future. Which is much less than we had with those picks to begin with.

12. Mr. Clutch

Yes that particular trade up did work.

But the rest led to us having some of the worst depth and biggest holes in the league

13. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

I semi agree with the 2nd rounder give away only because we didnt do anything with the money although I assume they were saving it for romo. but if you honestly think we could have waited til 25 to get Watson then you are delusional. And if you wouldnt go back and trade that 1st to move up for watson after seeing him.. again, delusional. Now, I believe, and have no proof, just thinking, that the trade of next years first to move up 13 spots was really cheap if you consider what KC gave up to move up even less spots. I think the only reason it only cost us the one future pick was because it had already been agreed upon after trading them our second pick with Brock. But either way would I do all of this again? YES. You think we are the only team that has made some mistakes? You pick now, when they made the best decision ever in getting our new franchise QB, to complain because we have lost literally 3 of our top 5 players to season ending injuries? O man BOB sucks unless he has an elite QB, um show me a coach thats doing amazing with someone worse than Savage.

I mean a lot of people harp on @Bobbythegreat for pushing narratives and just spewing **** but I have you do the same thing, only difference is, every once in a while Bobby twists it into a positive on how this team will do. You are just straight negative all the time. This season is depressing as hell, but 2 weeks ago was the most excited and positive I have ever been as a Texans fan, quit using a tragic injury as further proof to push your depressing agenda.

DAROckets likes this.
  14. Mr. Clutch

I am NOT talking about the Watson trade, clearly that one worked out.

I'm talking about Nix, Strong, Osweiler and a bunch of other small ones that have killed our depth.

Notice how many street free agents and castoffs we've signed this year?

I'm not sure what there is to be positive about, other than a handful of very good players (which every team has).

We lost to the colts without luck at home. That's how bad this roster is.

And I wasn't even excited two weeks ago, because although the Watson was great the defense and OL suck. I was far more excited 2011-12 because those were complete teams.

People drinking the Kool aid and being positive on Brock and other crappy moves is why Rick is still gm and McNair feels no pressure to change

15. Buck Turgidson

The O/U on offensive points next week...10? Or is that too generous?

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

Too generous.

17. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Under.

I'll take the over on the Rams scoring 50, though.

18. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I know people aren't complaining about those picks after we got the next great one, are they? The Watson pick makes up 5 years worth of picks.

19. Mr. Clutch

He doesn't unfortunately. How many crappy teams with great QBs won super bowls? Zero.

20. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

There are many teams that keep picking in the top 10 every year still searching for a franchise QB.

If Watson projects to be a top 5 QB then he is definitely worth multiple 1st round picks. You're getting at least 10 years of elite production.