1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans sign QB Josh Johnson

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by texian, Nov 7, 2017.

1. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Team success is important. Being down and where/when he throws tds shouldn't be a barometer which you brought up. They were in obvious passing situations a lot and I give him credit for not turning over the ball more. At same time he didn't bring his teams back to win, and that is what I was referring to. This notion that he can carry a team to the playoffs with the Texans deficiencies is not rational thinking.

As to your last part, that's a huge straw man and if we're going to have a discussion I'll pretend you didn't say that.

2. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

The 2016 49ers gave up 30 points per game. Aside from an opening week shutout against the Rams, they gave up at least 21 points in every single game. They gave up 40+ points four times.

Is that Kaepernick's fault?

3. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I think he has talent to be a backup in the league over some of these that are signed.
    But when you come with the distractions that follow him whether they are warranted or not, it's not a smart business move to sign a back up that comes with that baggage.

If he had the talent that some are claiming, he would be starting in the league plain and simple

juanm34 likes this.
  4. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Time to rebuild.

Unfortunately mcnair is too dumb to realize this and Rick will say whatever it takes to save his job (we're just an offensive coach away)

Lol at the moves we've made under O'Brien the past 4 years. From signing Osweiler, to dismantling the OL and secondary to trading away picks for nothing and overpaying FAs.

No surprise we are here. He thought he could coach any scrubs to a championship

5. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

That now makes two posters in the past 24 hours that, when presented with facts, can only rebut with: If Kaepernick was good enough, he would be signed.

No facts. No explanations. Just "I guess the same guys who we bash all the time for making stupid decisions know best."

6. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

And look at the Texans scoring defense man. You are literally proving my point.
    My initial argument was against this notion that Kaep could make the Texans to the playoffs. He has a comparable team last year and won exactly one game. He's not a game changer and hasn't been since 2013. People are thinking with their hearts regarding Kaep on both side of the political spectrum and not just looking at what he's actually done

7. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

When and where did I say that? What was said is if he's as good as some are claiming, he would be starting some where. He has the talent to be a back up somewhere, sure. But does that talent being back up out weigh the distractions associated.

Don't put words in my mouth to make you think you're winning some "forum discussion" to make your self feel better. If you can't see others opinions you shouldn't be talking to others

8. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Are you saying anytime a TD is thrown while being down is considered inflating stats? How come we didn't hear that about Luck and Brees in previous seasons, Watson against KC, or really any QB whose defense couldn't stop the other team from scoring first? Not saying Kap is anyone of those guys but you're not really putting things into context are you now...

9. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

No and that's a bit of a stretch to conclude that. You can't just say hey I had a 4-1 td/int ratio and use it as justification that he's good when his team is losing. What I'm saying is he was down a lot and really didn't do much to change the outcome of the game. Hence the 1-11 record.
    My whole thought process was on the fact that people were claiming Kaep as a ticket to the playoffs and being this super talented QB that could be plug and play when he literally has no history of doing that in the last 4 years. This Texans team is similar right now to last years 9ers team and when people say that Kaep can pull this team to the playoffs with 8-9 games remaining when he could muster 1 win last year is just mind boggling.

10. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sorry. I thought my sarcasm was obvious

Mr. Clutch likes this.
  11. thejav

thejav Member

Did you watch the game?

Noone is catching balls 10 yards out of bounds.

Just tank and pray we can trade a couple of 3rds for a 2nd.

12. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Which would work any other year except the one where we don't have a 1st or 2nd rounder.

Hurry back Deshaun!!!

13. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

So was Brees when he was throwing 30+ TDs and 5000 yards a season and his team was still losing 9 games a season. Not hearing anyone say well he was down a lot and didn't change the outcome. Wasn't that literally Waton's 5 TD game against KC in a nutshell? I agree that stats don't often tell the whole story, but you can't turn around and say well the team's record does.

Kinda funny that your thought process is that he can't win here by in large of the defense being terrible like their's was but at the same time seem to blame him as the reason they didn't win or the fact that he couldn't overcome it.

This is a much fairer take and really can't argue against it, but I will say that he gives us a better shot than anyone we have on the roster, especially behind this OL.

14. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

so Texans really think Johnson's better than colin??

15. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

You're comparing apples to oranges though, Brees has a history of success at a high level over an extended period of time. Watson is a rookie showing things that haven't been done by rookies. In fact Watson basically duplicates Kaep best year in 6 1/2 games.

Kaep is extremely overrated by some and underrated by others. I wasn't answering if he was better than what we have, I was talking about this misconception that he is some savior for the Texans

16. prohibido

prohibido Member

No, they don't, which is why he is suing the league.

17. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

My whole premise is while he may be a little better than what we have he's not worth the distraction and attention associated with him. If he was as good as some proclaim he would be in the league as a starter. He's certainly good enough to be a back up but not one franchise wants that kind of attention(warranted or not) from a back up.

Another on the Brees convo, that team where he was throwing for 5k yards a season and still hovering around .500, can you honestly say Kaep could've done that with the same team?

18. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

And absolutely nothing will come of it, it's essentially a pr boost for Kaep. It's simple business, when mediocre talent loses money for the business, mediocre talent ceases to be employed. You can call it unfair or whatever you want but the risk/reward or profit/loss margin isn't there for Kaep. Back up level talent with superstar attention that will affect the bottom dollar.

This is honestly setting a bad precedent. He has no "right" to be employed by the NFL. Talent plays except when talent is outweighed by other factors

19. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

You sure about that. Tom Brady won against the league not that long ago.

Looking at the luck go Goddell I'm guessing Kap will win his case.

20. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

It would be really hard to prove that all 32 NFL owners conspired together to blackball Kaep, that burden is on Kaep team to prove.

I honestly don't believe that 32 owners came together and collectively thought, "hey, this black man protesting at games shouldn't be allowed to play". More than likely, overall ratings dips and case studies identifying Kaep as a reason for not spending/watching made the individual teams marketing/business people think "hey, he's got ability but not worth the loss we'd take in revenue" probably a lot like Ray Rice