1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Marvel Movie] Thor : Ragnarok

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Oct 28, 2014.

1. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Saw this Friday after the parade. I thought I was going to hate it but ended up liking it a lot. Top 5 MCU movie for me.

In no particular order:

1. Iron Man
    2. Avengers
    3. Civil war
    4. GOTG
    5. Ragnarok

Bobbythegreat likes this.
  2. Jontro

Jontro Member

one thing brehs underestimate is the fact that this had absolutely no romance... except thor just went "who? jane? nah, dumped dat hoe and her hot busty friend whom jontro has fapped to numerous times."

fba34 likes this.
  3. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I agree. I'll give it an 8, definitely well made, but no real risks were taken. The formula still works.

This is definitely the best Thor of the three.

4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

One of my fav MCU's so far. Would have been truly epic if trailers/leaks never spoiled Hulk + Thunder/Thor. GoTG never did much for me, but I liked this one a LOT.

tinman, fba34 and mrm32 like this.
  5. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Me too, very happy w it. Humor was consistently great. Even some of the slapstick, and ALL the cameos. Great comic timing by director and leads.

Only sad part for me was Urban ending, given current events. Fell very flat and dented the escapism. While they couldn't foresee the news, these events are regular enough.

GRENDEL likes this.
  6. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Popcorn flicks are the best re-watch movies (not in theaters but at home) because they are enjoyable, but not something you have to dive yourself into.

Like most Marvel movies, I enjoyed it, but didn't love it. I hated Cate Blanchett. It also leaves so many questions with the ending, so it didn't end on a happy note (not always a bad thing, just seems like there would be no escape for our heroes).

Big Uns likes this.
  7. Juxtaposed Jolt

I'll disagree. This Thor movie FINALLY didn't focus on Loki, at all. He was barely a supporting character, which was a refreshing change of pace. And the setting was, for the most part, away from Asgard. Also, Goldblum and Thompson's characters were given a lot of screentime, which could have sank the movie.

Turning Thor into a comedy has revitalized the hero. I was dreading Thor 3; now I can't wait for Thor 4.

GRENDEL likes this.
  8. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Yeah, this is a great direction for Thor as a series. It's a great movie. Totally nitpicking here. If I was 20 years younger, I'd be eating up the MCU like it was the first 5 years. I'm totally spoiled with the MCU formula.

Big blockbuster million dollar opener. Hero's fall from success. Enter love interest. Big bad introduced and more than likely responsible for the fall in success. More impressive eye candy. Another tens of million CG laden climax. The "no risk" part is that no one consequential died (sucks that all the "great" characters from the first two movies got offed in the first 15 minutes with Blanchet. who they?) You knew Blanchet would be defeated, and Ragnorak followed the comics with the destruction of Asgard.

This is a quality addition to MCU, leagues better than Branagh's fancy smancy vision of Thor. Kinda disappointed Planet Hulk won't be told for the next 5+ years, but Korg and Kilik were perfect as comedy relief.

I appreciated GotG2 as a well made movie, but I had similar feelings too. That's not gonna stop Thor from making 800 million...

9. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Uhhhh, while I get you on the recent events thing...
    that whole Executioner with the M16s is directly out of the comics.
    If you're referring to the Texas joke, it's pretty common knowledge that everywhere except Texas thinks that all guns and pickup trucks come from Texas. It's an unfortunate coincidence, but if that really detracted from the movie or joke for you...I think that's a personal thing.

10. B-Bob

Uh, yeah, bro, my opinion is on me. Thanks for that.

Appreciate the comic background. That makes sense.

As it was, the day after the slaughter in Texas, when the assault weapons appeared in a fantasy movie that had only contained hammers and swords for the first two hours, a theater of about 150 fell completely silent after being boisterous for two hours straight. Yes, that's on us.

It was really surreal, sad, and odd. Great movie. Unfortunate choice, given external circumstances, for some viewers.

#170 B-Bob, Nov 7, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
  11. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

The Texas line drew a huge cheer from the audience at my showing Sunday morning.

Was almost a straight comedy, which I was cool with. Most sources see to think Hemsworth is done after Infinity War, so this is probably the final Thor movie.

They did set up Valkyrie pretty well to be a possible replacement in the Avengers.

12. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Valkyrie was so hot.

tinman and Jontro like this.
  13. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Not your bro "bro". Sorry you were so affected by this film.

14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I liked this movie.
    It was not GOTG level but still good

Rocket River

15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Lulz.

16. B-Bob

Brosephine, I said I really enjoyed the movie. It's one of my favorites of the marvel enterprise. I may see it again soon.

You obsessing over the single thing that affected the audience when I saw it is... wait for it... on you. LOL and welcome to the BBS's most sensible ignore list. Cheers!

Deckard likes this.
  17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Perhaps that's a bit of projecting on your part. That was one of the only serious moments in the entire film and there were a lot of bad things happening to the "good guys" at the moment so perhaps that's why the crowd was "silent" rather than them being triggered over seeing an assault rifle shooting bad guys. When the crowd "fell silent" towards the end of Logan, it wasn't due to seeing people get stabbed so soon after the knife attack in midtown NY....

18. fba34

fba34 Contributing Member

What about all that kneeling in Asgard though. Some disrespectful subliminal thing going on to comment on the current events :mad:

19. Jmcballer88

Jmcballer88 Contributing Member

Valkyrie is bae

bcast89 and Jontro like this.
  20. JaceMan da SpaceMan

U lick her

Daddy Long Legs likes this.