1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fire Bill O'Brien

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by DonnyMost, Sep 23, 2016.

?

Should we fire Bill O'Brien?

1. Yes

76.0%
  2. No

15.9%
  3. Abstain (for the moment)

8.2%
  1. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

He has no Deshaun Watson, JJ Watt, or Mercy paired with likely the worst pass defense in the league.

No coach in the league could win games with a bad QB and bad defense.

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Good thing he helps to build the roster

roxallways and J.R. like this.
  3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

BOB's contract is up after next year.

If he doesn't warrant an extension after this year, you might as well cut bait.

roxallways likes this.
  4. J.R.

J.R. Member

Good thing he signed The McGloin & TJ Yates and is rolling with Tom Savage (who he started the year with). After all, they know the system!
    Good thing he demoted RAC from DC & promoted Mike Vrabel
    Good thing he had one of the worst offenses 3 years running
    Good thing he leaked during the playoffs he wanted out.
    Good thing Rick Smith saved his ass with Deshaun Watson
    Bill O'Brien has done a lot of "good things". :D:rolleyes:

In the words of asschin himself, "Like the demise of the Houston Texans is upon us" is if we fire Bill O'Brien? "That's ridiculous!"

[​IMG]

vinsensual, Mr. Clutch and roxallways like this.
  5. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

I think you guys are missing a huge data point here.

Fitzy had a career year with the Texans
    Hoyer had a career year, sans playoff game, with Texans
    Brock looks like he had a career year with Texans and now looks close to out of the league

These guys suck and yet had career years FOR THEM which is only slightly less than suck. Then comes Watson, shattering records each and every week, leading the league in points. Love him or hate him BOB took QB trash and got average production and produced a career year for that QB. Working with a great QB he got great production.

All this talk of firing BOB is ignoring that he got career years out of trash QBs that were not able to produce at the same level anywhere else. Go look at the data. All of those QBs got career years under BOB and none of them exceeded those years anywhere else.

Now if you want to talk about game/time management that's different. But QB/Offense shouldn't be a factor imo.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  6. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

7. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

I guess people don’t realize that a timeout helps the defense as well as the offense at the end of the game like that. Better to try to catch the defense off guard than give them more time to get set and prepare for Savage. Your QB simply has to have more awareness and get the ball snapped.

texian likes this.
  8. texian

texian Member

Savage blames Savage:

"There was nothing they were doing that we weren't prepared for. Coaches did a great job of coaching us up. It's just probably the most frustrating game of my life. I just wasn't making the throws. Guys were open. I've got to make the throws. I played like crap.

The team and where we are at mentally is not an issue. It never will be here -- that's the kind of culture we have. It's just about holding yourself accountable and knowing when you need to pick it up, and I need to pick it up. Listen, it was 4th and goal with 2 seconds to go... I've just got to find a way to win it."

I think your calling in football is as a Cleveland Browns fan.

9. tmacfor35

Exactly. They got off 4 of their plays that they wanted to run in that situation. The angry emotional fans are reaching on this clock management issue.

The only issue was Savage pretending like he still had two minutes left.

10. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Right now firing Obrien would put us right up there with the 10 teams that passed on Watson.

texian likes this.
  11. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

I've harped on O'Brien for mismanaging game clocks plenty. This situation was a difficult one where I can see it play out either way.

We did get 4 plays in without using the timeout. You could argue that using it after the conversion would've given us more time to talk about better routes and plays. You could also argue that keeping it in your pocket gives us the option to use the middle of the field or throw before the goal line. That was a tough call.

Regardless, O'Brien and Savage need to have those plays called quicker and faster. We did bleed too much time before snapping on 1st down. There wasn't much urgency once the decision to play through without a timeout was made when we needed that urgency and quick decision making. O'Brien has dropped the ball plenty of times on those qualities, and we all know Savage isn't quick.

12. ipaman

Savage said he sucks, we should believe him. He gives us the best chance at losing so he should keep playing.

13. tmacfor35

Hey,

One of the plays Will Fuller ran his route so well that the DB fell down. Savage would have seen him had he not been staring at one target before he even caught the shotgun snap. If the QB executes, there is no faux discussion.

14. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

I have zero issues with the use of the timeout last night. I do have an issue with us NOT utilizing plays that utilized Hopkins' athleticism in the red zone. 4 Chances inside the 10 and NOTHING... I was totally on this Savage train, but man was I off at evaluating him as a player. The guy cant replicate game speed in his decision making...

15. ipaman

Exactly. Hop was manned with help on top and inside where his route took him. Fuller was man with no help to the outside where his route was going. Pre-snap read should have told Savage that Fuller was his best option. Even post snap, not seeing separation from Hop, he should have gone to his 2nd read which hopefully was Fuller. Would have seen the back corner endzone wide open. But he locked onto the wrong read, threw the ball anyway, and missed Fuller's amazing route because he sucks.

16. tmacfor35

It was crazy to watch from TV. Every snap, the safety slowly but surely shaded towards Hopkins. Had Savage payed any attention from the sidelines he would have seen Fuller was capable of catching fades one on one. Fuller is a great route runner and he gets separation quickly. Have to give him a shot.

17. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Jonathan Kinsley‏ @Brickwallblitz 2h2 hours ago
    The big problem HOU isn't Watson being out so much as BOB went back to the same, predictable QB suffocating offense with Savage.

With Watson, BOB had RPO heavy reads and misdirection everywhere. For some reason he's taken that away with Savage.

That's the big reason HOU lost. The play calling did nothing to boost the offense like it did the previous games.

Obviously Savage was bad, but he's playing in a style of offense that was completely different from the one Watson was running.

It's the same offense BOB ran with every QB that wasn't Watson and it suffocated the offense. Suffocated it Sunday too.

18. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

No way Savage can run the same plays as Watson. Especially on the run plays, he’s not a threat

TheFreak and texian like this.
  19. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Yeah, "for some reason" we don't have our lead footed pocket QB running run/pass option plays or using the read option out of the pistol formation. I wonder why?
    :rolleyes:

TheFreak and texian like this.
  20. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Texans will be drafting or signing a mobile QB to be Watson's backup. That QB will be a developmental QB.