1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Multiple people shot at church in Sutherland Springs

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Ubiquitin, Nov 5, 2017.

1. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

This... is so wrong. I don't even know what to say.
    I thought we were all past the CARBS = BAD fad.

Insulin resistance is caused by a high intake of glucose or conversely an extremely low uptake of glucose.

Also you can get fat off a diet filled completely with proteins and/or fats. You can be very skinny (and malnutritioned) off of a 100% carb diet. It's all calories in - calories out.

#81 RedRedemption, Nov 5, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
  2. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

This has been known since the 60s but sure ill help you.

carbs lead to high blood sugar (hyperglycemia)

this leads to type 2 diabetes as well as getting super fat.

I dont agree with your views, but if you want you can replace everything i said above with 'sugar' instead of carbs.

3. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Just got back from University Hospital (the main level 1 trauma center in SA). We got a total of 12 patients, mostly kids because its also the only pediatric level 1 trauma center in the area.

They activated an all-hands-on-deck mass casualty code, so there was 2-4x as many staff and resident doctors than normal. For my department's part (radiology), it wasn't too bad but our surgeon and anesthesiology colleagues will be going for a while.

They ended the mass casualty code about half an hour ago. I was told no more patients from that incident were coming.

4. malakas

malakas Member

Simple carbs are still carbs.
    Also your first article talks about too many carbs, not just carbs.
    Guess what?
    Too many of anything is bad. Too many proteins and too much fat cause health problems too.

But in contrast with carbs, one bullet is enough to cause immediate death to a healthy individual.
    Therefore your analogy is incredibly flawed to say the least.

5. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Why are you even trying to debate with someone who is so beyond logic that he has to bring up carbs when discussing a mass shooting?

6. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

Shooter reported to be Devin P. Kelley. So lone wolf it is.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  7. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Excess sugar is bad, duh.
    Yes, it COULD lead to diabetes.

But if you are comparing the life of someone who goes carb-free vs someone with a balanced diet and a moderate consumption of carbohydrates and sugars, you are not going to find a major difference.

But this is besides the point. Your weird false equivalency of banning carbs vs. banning guns and the impacts of carbs and guns in society is just strange.

8. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

You should look at both, as one contributes to the other.

(1) It is patently absurd to think that giving a homicidal person access to a gun does not increase the danger he poses to others. Just as it would be absurd to think that giving a suicidal person access to a gun doesn't drastically increase their chances of killing themselves.

(2) Irrelevant. Who's calling for an outright ban of all gun sales?

And, again, I don't say you shouldn't look at homicide rate. But only looking at homicide rate and ignoring the way in which people are getting murdered makes absolutely no sense.

There are far more reasons to make that assumption then to assume homicide rate wouldn't fall by reducing gun murder rate, which is what you're doing, IMO.

9. Sajan

Sajan Member

What kind of flawed logic is this? Why doesn't everyone who eats carbs have diabetes?
    Excess food (and yes in most people's case it's coming from carbs) and constant eating (snack on snack on snack on sugary drinks on sugary drinks) leads to insulin resistance which leads to hyperglycemia which leads to diabetes.

10. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

So what do we know about him other than he is 26?

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

13. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

TheRealist137 and malakas like this.
  14. MystikArkitect

And when he shows up, he’s in flip flops and a shirt of the American Flag with a Salt Life logo on his lifted Ram 2500.

15. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

I've been to medical school (as have a couple of other posters here), so I'm much more informed to the clinical repercussions of a high carb diet than most people. A high carb intake is very bad. When I'm speaking about a high carb intake, I'm speaking of non-complex carbohydrates, though complex carbs can be bad as well. Our bodies just aren't built to handle the glycemic load in the foods we get today, some breads even have high fructose corn syrup. That being said, completely going full keto is not such a good idea either. Epileptic patients try it out and it is beneficial for them but It's not one of those things that should be recommended to the general populace. As it has been said, moderation is key...but not like it's shown in the food pyramid we saw when we were kids. Complex carbs in moderation, and simple carbs to an absolute minimum ...only in the form of immediate energy like a bowl of cereal in the morning. Nobody, and I mean nobody...should be drinking regular Coke/other sodas.

Hyperglycemia leads to all sorts of vascular problems (especially microvascular), I've heard some people say large vessel disease is unrelated and some attribute almost all vascular comps to hyperglycemia as well. Case on point, nothing to this date has scared me as much as diabetes, but at the same time you shouldn't eliminate all carbs in your diet.

#95 LosPollosHermanos, Nov 5, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
  16. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Mental health is an overriding issue in these shootings regardless of terrorism or lone wolf

Ubiquitin and cml750 like this.
  17. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I think it goes like this...

tallanvor sees a mom take her child into Baskin Robbins
    "Lady, why are you murdering your child?"

tallanvor sees a man with an AR15 walking outside of a church
    "A guy's got a right."

o_O

18. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Mental health and guns are both issues...and not unrelated.

In fact, people with mental health problems without access to guns = less dangerous than people with mental health problems with access to guns...

jelanit, B-Bob, TheRealist137 and 2 others like this.
  19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It'll be interesting to see if his wife was a victim, I heard a rumor that his in-laws had a PO box in that city and that's his only known tie to the area. Perhaps his dependa left him and he went crazy about it?

I dunno, right now that's the best theory I can come up with.

20. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

https://www.linkedin.com/in/devin-kelley-bb2923b9/

Not sure if that is him, but...how can anyone who did that previously go so far off the rails.