1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Leadership of Mbah a Moute

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OTMax, Nov 4, 2017.

1. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

so shooting 3s 31% is smarter more efficient than 37%?

RudyTBag likes this.
  2. OTMax

OTMax Member

Stats don’t tell the whole story, though you might be like Mathloom in that regard. This is the last thing I’ll say as this back and forth leads to nothing: Harden is better, more talented, but you go look at the games and tell me Harden takes his threes efficiently. Contested, way behind the line, early in the shot clock.

Also in the bigger scheme, Harden is much more efficient from mid-range and close range so taking all those threes when they’re not falling is not really smart. Harden could benefit from taking less threes, the inefficient ones in terms of spot on the court, defender on him, time left on the clock and such.

To clarify since I’m sure you won’t get it otherwise: Vernon Maxwell was a very good 3pt shooter and considered as such too. Why were his percentages far from resembling that? Inefficient shots / dumb shots and just too many. Max was similar to Harden in being much better if they’d shoot less threes and attacked more.

#42 OTMax, Nov 4, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
  3. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

isn't % of 3's the only way to measure efficiency at 3's

who would you say should harden be like in terms of attacking?

4. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

The Leadership........ get 'em going Luc!

s3ts, D-rock and OTMax like this.
  5. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

hmm, thats what cf said about Corey Brewer then when he started bricking everything we turned on him.

Pen15clubber likes this.
  6. anchel

anchel Member

Mmmm I don't know, I'm watching a player with much better basket IQ and handles than Ariza in Mbah-a-Moute. Also more reliable defensively, better body language and defensive technique. He should be starting.

D-rock and kevtse like this.
  7. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

I have been impressed with Luc, too. A great deal of his speed and agility is from some of the weight loss. Allegedly, he was heavier on the Clips...hopefully this is a return to the Mil days.

I think the combo of Trev and Luc is very valuable. Both have the obvious intangibles, but where one lacks in offense or defense, the other makes up for it.

The Rox are largely an offense-heavy team. Trevor, when healthy, is the better option for us, especially when he gets hot from deep. Luc can shoot from distance, but he doesn't produce from there as well as Trev. Luc is better on the move with cuts and shots towards the rim. Defensively, I still think Trevor is a better on-the-ball defender, but Luc is no slouch. And, it goes without saying, but you don't demote Trev to the second unit after all of these years of putting in work,being incredibly dependable and showing 110 % loyalty to the Rockets' org. He will--and should--keep his starting spot.

8. OTMax

OTMax Member

Alright, could very well be of course. Let's see how it all plays out. I've seen a better version when Mbah comes off the bench so far, but all is small sample size. Ariza is used to starting with this group so for now that's not what should be up for debate. The minutes is another thing.

9. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

So if you give someone 100 attempts, and let's say they are :

20/25 in the L Corner
    10/25 in the R Corner
    0/25 from the top
    0/25 from other various spot.

Are they bad, average, good, or what 3pt shooter?

I'd say overall they suck, but they have the green light in the L Corner. See how you can break it down beyond a single %?

SIL

10. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I have been most impressed/surprised with Luc "off the bounce." He seems to have some decent ball control on his dribbles and at times can even take someone (2nd stingers) off the dribble. I didn't know he had that game. I thought he was just "catch and shoot." Luc's endurance also is a quite nice. He seems to play hard for longer stretches of time.

I mean, at "Vet Minimum" just such an amazing signing for a quality role player.

D-rock, No Worries, Nook and 4 others like this.
  11. Play07

Play07 Member

WHy was he not locked up to longer deal ? this dude plays D hits the 3 good locker room guy

Robertson is getting $10mill a year and can shoot, wish we at least gave him a $10mill 3yr contract... even black got more for 3rd string

12. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

Great basketball IQ. Super hard worker. Great guy. His skill sets doesn't match his knowledge though. If he can bring up his 3 point % to at least .360 while attempting 3 or 4 a game he would get a lot more $$$.

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  13. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Three words: Salary Cap Rules

We are over the cap, and only had the Minimum Salary Exception left.

14. curbur

curbur Member

Not especially, but then again he is rich and probably got a decent size piece.. and yes I got the Mutumbo reference.

I agree with all that except for the part where Trevor should get the start for loyalty and tenure.. he gets it because he's still the better fit/player next to the other starters. Also you're amazing Codman; I lurk all the time and always appreciate your insight/scoops.

#54 curbur, Nov 4, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
    D-rock and Pen15clubber like this.
  15. Bo6

Bo6 Member

def need to lock him up.

our second unit just needs some more firepower.

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  16. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

@OTMax saying luc shoots smarter more efficient 3s is just showing that he doesnt understand bball at all.

Harden creates shots off the dribble at the 3 point line while shaking dudes sometimes.

Luc only shoots wide open 3s because he is a role player and doesnt have the ability to create his own shot.

Doesnt understand their skill sets, stop arguing with him haha.

Nook and Pen15clubber like this.
  17. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I know. If only we could have a hall-of-fame PG on the court at all time. But what can you do, Harden has to rest some times.

Nook likes this.
  18. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

His driving ability has been a serious surprise for me, had no idea that he was good finishing at the rim. His play and role reminds of Dekker, just with better defense.

D-rock likes this.
  19. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I love PJ Tucker, Luc Richard and Trevor Ariza on this team.

20. AlaisterCuaresma

I hope he resigns with us, valuable bench player