1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should we bench Reddick for game 7?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Daddy Long Legs, Oct 31, 2017.

?

What should we do regarding Reddick?

1. Ride with Reddick and trust what he's done all season

19 vote(s)
    28.4%
  2. React quickly and pull him because we don't have the luxury of patience in a game 7

48 vote(s)
    71.6%
  1. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

I.D.I.O.T.

I will be loving my gourmet crow if Reddick plays and plays well in a W tommorow but I STRONGLY believe that he needs to be benched in favor of Cameron Maybin.

What so you clutchfun?

HTX Ninja and Game7 like this.
  2. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Gotta try something else.

3. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

I would start him with Yu a righty going but any weak looking ABs, bench his ass. The time to bench him was tonight but can't do anything about that now.

Kim, Snake Diggit, whiskeyred and 2 others like this.
  4. Buck Turgidson

No.

Should bench some posters though.

5. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

No, at least give him an AB.

Think he hit Yu last time, give him a shot, if he goes up there looking silly again then yes, you have to do all you can to win this game. No tomorrow.

Daddy Long Legs and roxallways like this.
  6. Daddy Long Legs

lol, why with the war against posters right now buck?

It's fine to disagree with me here. I usually consider myself a pretty level headed poster that doesn't over react. I'm even accused of being a homer and super hinch/team defender on here a ton. It is no insult or disrespect towards the astros or their fans for me to have this viewpoint.

I just think we should give Maybin a chance instead of Reddick right now. Doesn't make me any more or less of a fan than the next guy.

I will gladly eat crow if reddick plays and plays well.

7. Gimmmethemike

Gimmmethemike Member

Hell yea you bench this scrubby ass player like Reddick who hasn't done **** but been in a huge liability on offense and an automatic out. Maybin has a better chance getting on base than reddick, hell anybody over Reddick right now would be better.

8. YOLO

YOLO Member

as ridiculous as this sounds, i think he comes up big tomorrow. behind tuve and correa

and im frustrated with him as much as anyone

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  9. Buck Turgidson

I dislike ****ing morons, not particularly talking to you. Sorry if that offends.

It's Game 7 of the Mother****ing World Series. You go with the guys that got you there.

What, you want to start Maybin? Comical. Fisher? Sure buddy.

BigMaloe, Torn n Frayed and YOLO like this.
  10. Buck Turgidson

We lose the game Sunday if Marwin is in LF instead of Reddick...you know this right?

11. Daddy Long Legs

starting to think we should stick with reddick again. It's not an easy decision though. he looked lost some of those ABs

He did work a walk in the inning that we had a chance where gattis almost double played and tuve didn't have the AB we needed with RISP.

12. SemisolidSnake

This is the best compromise. And you tell him ahead of time that he's out if he looks terrible on the first at-bat. Hinch benched Giles and stuck with it for lack of performance.

I'm sure Josh feels worse than anyone about his batting; in fact I think he might actually go so overboard with the frustration and rage that he continues the downward spiral instead of allowing himself to calmly focus himself and break out of it. Yes, I'm playing armchair psychologist, but I've been in that same situation more times than I can count.

Still, it's literally Game 7 of the World Series. Having two pitchers batting, as another poster put it, at the bottom of the lineup is just going to be so much more devastating than any reduction, if any, in our defensive capability. We cannot wait until the end of the game to put runs on the board, because they will be throwing every pitcher they have against us for the entire game just as we will be doing to them.

I really hope Josh figures it out by tomorrow, but you can't turn a blind eye to what's been happening.

13. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

If I were a Dodgers fan I would not like to see Reddick benched tomorrow.

That's the sign that benching him is the right move. Even in the regular season Fangraphs had talked about him being the least clutch hitter in MLB history. Ever since the ALDS ended that theory has been validated many times over. Just something wrong with his mental makeup. Maybin gives you a chance.

Game7 likes this.
  14. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

I've been on his side throughout the playoffs... but I'm open to benching him for Maybin tomorrow (assuming that puts Maybin in CF and Springer in RF). Hope that clears his head enough for him to deliver as a pinch-hitter.

(Also makes me wonder if the answer would be different if Jake was around. I suppose Jake would've gotten plenty of platoon ABs in the playoffs and we'd have an idea if he was on or not, and that would have answered it. Ugh, is Jake not coming back for the WS a huge issue? I'm overthinking this. I need to sleep.)

15. Buck Turgidson

If it was Jake and not Maybin, I'd be all over that.

Maybin is a terrible, terrible offensive player. He's a pinch runner and defensive replacement

Now watch Hinch start him next game just to piss me off.

Kim likes this.
  16. Game7

Game7 Member

You cannot deny Maybin has come up big for us as a hitter. He literally won us multiple games within a week of being on the team. He is almost as good as Reddick defensively, and runs the bases extremely well. I will be happy if Josh comes through, but Maybin is seemingly just as capable at this point.

Kim likes this.
  17. Buck Turgidson

I've been waiting for that to continue, but not expecting it.

Game7 likes this.
  18. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

At this point, I say bench Reddick for Maybin. Maybin's not a good offensive player, but he at least has a key hit in this series. That single in Game 2 in extra innings that led to Springer's homer scoring 2 runs instead of 1. Which was the difference in the final score. Be honest. If Reddick had been up to bat before Springer instead of Maybin, does anyone really believe he gets a single in that situation?

19. AB423

AB423 Member

We need Maybin for base running later in the game. Better to have two base stealing threats than one.

20. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

At the plate all of the position players who have played in the playoffs have had their moment or moments. It's hard for me to remember a "moment" by Reddick at the plate in these playoffs. He's had some key plays in the outfield so he hasn't been totally useless out there but he has come up small and looks like the lights are too bright for him at the plate the longer this postseason run has gone. Could all go out the window if he has a moment tonight but at this point I'm not counting on it.