1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Duane Brown traded to Seattle

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Oct 30, 2017.

1. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

The Texans better get some O-line help ASAP, before Deshaun gets hurt. This team is going to have to make tough choices on some veterans at other positions to bring in Oline help via free agency. Especially since they don't have early draft choices next year.

red5rocket and mario_v like this.
  2. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Duane's on the bad side of his career, 2nd rounder in 2019? That's going to look nice when the time comes.

Maybe we can get something from Lane, we'll see.

Rudyc281 and red5rocket like this.
  3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

The Texans were going to have to throw an absurd amount of money at Brown to keep him.

His prime is over. So you'd be investing in a depreciating asset. For a team that is basically rebooting itself this year, that isn't smart. We need picks, and we got them.

For an organization that is basically trying to emulate the Patriots, this is the first "Patriot" thing the Texans have ever done (dumping an all-pro at the height of his value).

zeeshan2 and Buck Turgidson like this.
  4. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Lane is no good.

We got a couple picks, so that's good I guess. Not sure it's enough value for a borderline elite LT

5. Buck Turgidson

Brown is way far away from that borderline at the moment, especially given what he wanted monetarily.

You're mad when they trade picks away, you're mad when they get picks back. I'm scared to ask what would make you happy.

houstonstime likes this.
  6. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Lane is a contract dump for the Seahawks. Im not sure the seahawks would take on brown's $9 million salary without losing Lane. Texans can try him out and cut him loose in the off-season. Seattle runs a very specific physical man-to-man heavy scheme. He might show something in a less skewed defensive setup.

I love the hell out of Kareem Jackson, but his man cover skills are brutal. He could be called for PI every play. He's a classic zone/cover-2 corner. If Lane lets Kareem step away from some of the 1 on 1 matchups against top tier guys, it's a good thing.

Chilly_Pete and Buck Turgidson like this.
  7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The Texans got a steal, they managed to get rid of an absolute locker room cancer who was going to be cut at the end of the season anyway and managed to get back a 2nd and a 5th along with some DB depth. I mean, he wasn't worth more than a 5th so everything over that is just amazing.

8. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Seattle’s going to have to redo his contract and Duane wanted huge money and I am not sure he’s worth it at this point

9. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Although I agree, Brown wanted nothing to do with the Texans. Not really beneficial to keep a player around that doesnt want to play for your team. Yes, he's better than our alternative, but the ties needed to be cut...better to get something in return, and the haul we got, is incredibly good.

10. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Where’d the other 2018 third rounder come from?

11. Mr. Clutch

Well I just don't trust this front office like I do the Astros and Rockets. I was happy with getting Chris Paul and Verlander. Clear upgrades to win now.

What are the Texans trying to do? No idea. Just seems like a bad trade they were forced into.

12. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

too bad we couldn't get Jimmy Graham and picks, he would have been so much fun in this offense

13. rezdawg

For those that arent happy with the picks...look at it this way...

The Patriots gave up a very young, potentially very good QB to the Niners in exchange for a 2nd round pick.

The Texans gave up a 32 year old depreciating asset at LT...for a 2nd round pick, 5th round pick, and secondary depth.

This was a steal and much more than what was expected. Im guessing we were able to drive the price up because all of a sudden, a team like Philly is in need of an LT. Seattle had to step it up to get the help they need.

14. rezdawg

It would be nice...but we're already scoring 35 pts a game, so not sure if it would really help us...we need help on the other side of the ball, even if it means taking on someone that hasnt lived up to expectations.

15. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Decent move, I think. Good job, Rick. Enjoy your imminent raise and promotion

16. Mr. Clutch

Well a couple things.

The Patriots got a 2018 second rounder and we got a 2019.

Also, Garopolo is a free agent after this year. Duane Brown is signed for this year and next.

It is more than I expected, but I still don't think it's much for one of the better LTs. Now we are going with Chris Clark as our permanent starter and Lane probably doesn't start.

17. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I don't think we have two 3rds yet, but I think we could get a compensatory 3rd for losing AJ Bouye in Free Agency. And as a reminder, you can't trade compensatory picks.

18. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

for all we know McNair ordered Rick to trade his ass no matter what

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not sure he'd have had to say anything. It was obvious that they had to cut the cancer out after all the damage Duane Brown did in just one week with the team. The fact that they managed to rip off the Seahawks while cutting out the cancer is just a bonus.

20. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Of course you are, just don't tell cometswin