1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2017 Smart Phones

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by BiGGieStuFF, Jan 3, 2017.

1. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

We're looking at updating our phones (S6). Looking at S8+, Note8 and Pixel2. Kinda like the idea of Note8, but the cost and size might be a bit too big. Does anyone with the Note 8 have any issues with the size (eg, one-handed operation)?

2. ABrooks0

ABrooks0 Member

on the same boat. I have the 6 edge + and really like the idea of a note 8. also considering the iphone 8 +...what do you guys think between those two?

also...Samsung is offering a trade in of 200 for s6 on their website if you get the note 8 or s8/+.

3. NewRoxFan

We're a family of four, so we will need to get a Verizon plan to spread out cost of phones over time. I know that's the worst way to buy phones, but unfortunately can't afford to dish out the full amounts at this time. That said, I suspect the "trade in offer" gets factored into the monthly charge,since I think Best Buy is selling the Note 8 phone at $28/month (the AT&T version for $25/month).

4. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

I bought the Note8 a week ago and the size isnt bad with a slim case. My wife also got one but has a big Otter Box so hers is a bit lunky. I put the clear Tech21 case on mine and the size isn't bad at all. One handed operation is pretty easy and the stylus is fun to use.

NewRoxFan likes this.
  5. NewRoxFan

I like the Tech21 cases (think they are a Best Buy inhouse)... have one on my S6. Thanks for the feedback.

6. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

haven't gotten it yet. :( early december ship date for blk/wht version since i ordered it so late. that version just started shipping yesterday, but still earlier than their expected ship dates... so that's promising. have been tempted to get the blk being that it ships by sunday.

glad you're not having screen issues. didn't see any issues on the display phones at several vzw stores after stopping the demo, loading gray wallpaper, checking for black distortion, etc. i'm with you in blue tint. haven't looked at my phone any other way than head-on since owning them.

and yeah... i'd rma the og pixel xl, though i've been hearing that google has been pushing back on screen issues. ymmv.

7. McNultyisDrunk

McNultyisDrunk Contributing Member

Now that the Pixel 2 XL screen warranty is 2 years, I might just cancel $129 for Preferred Care.

OmegaSupreme likes this.
  8. fba34

fba34 Contributing Member

ramotadab likes this.
  9. fba34

fba34 Contributing Member

10. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

OmegaSupreme likes this.
  11. OmegaSupreme

it's really absurd how low this phone is going. held my essential up to my pixel 2 xl and the screen is on the xl is not that much larger, but in a much smaller footprint. easily the most premium feeling (materials and weight)/looking phone imo this year (haven't seen the iphone x in person yet).

the two things that put them in this position, customer service and camera have gotten better in the last month with biweekly AMAs and frequent updates.

phone was supposed to come out in may i believe. people didn't start getting them until sept. that's pixel, iphone, and note season. they effed up royally.

12. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

The Essential phone sucks though. Performs poorly compared to other flagships, lacks features, and entered the market a way too high of a price. $440 is probably what the normal price of the phone should be and it still doesn't excite me. It's a mid-tier phone.

13. OmegaSupreme

you have an essential phone?

see my first question. is this based off of blogs, benchmarks (that a couple of oems have been caught cheating this year), the benchmarks that mean nothing when using a stock android device, r/android, twitter, or some combination of those?

will give you this if you're refering to wireless charging and waterproof/resistance.

if it came out at the time it was supposed to (may), $699 was a fair price... imo. can't imagine the price not being discounted leading up to september (when it was really released) as other android devices get discounted. $699 when the big three are released? was a very stupid decision.

that said there no way that an iphone x, note 8, or pixel 2 xl are $300 dollars (and now $560) better than essential. especially when the essential phone's screen is better than the screen on pixel 2 xl i'm typing on right now and doesn't have the micro-stutters in two months that my s8+ had in two weeks.

It's a mid-tier phone.[/QUOTE]

-better screen than the oneplus 5t that will be released soon.
    -same processor as the u11+, pixel 2 xl, note 8, razer, or pretty much every other flasgship.
    -‎more durable build materials than them all
    -‎performance better than any phone i've personally used other than a nexus or pixel (speaking on experience with both)
    -‎not a single flagship has less bezel

it's a bit disingenuous.

crap decision-making, poor leadership/customer service aside... it's a great phone. decided to keep it as a backup instead of selling it for peanuts on the bbs simply because i'm excited for more updates. it does what you need it to, fluidly, and looks good doing it (if it doesn't involve the camera anyway).

i can understand you saying that it doesn't excite you though. other than its looks, it's a very, very stock aosp phone. stock isn't for everybody. it's closer to aosp than the pixel's google experience rom. folks looking for frills should look elsewhere.

now i'm going to talk about how the screen issues on the pixel 2 xl are overblown. :D

ramotadab and fba34 like this.
  14. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Not much of a market for a flagship phone with a mediocre camera. The cameras are probably close to 50 percent of the utility of a phone these days which is why Samsung and Apple own the high end market.

15. ramotadab

ramotadab Member

Do you recommend it for the price of $449? I am coming from a Blackberry Keyone which has developed a significant lag in the last month or so. I am not in the mood to dish out $800 plus for a phone at the moment.

Android just doesn't excite me anymore. Maybe because there is too much saturation maybe because some other reason, I am not sure. I am seriously considering an Iphone X, but then again that price scares me. But it seems most high end phones will be priced in that ballpark. I seriously just want to try something new.

OmegaSupreme likes this.
  16. OmegaSupreme

i'm not recommending phones. just go to best buy and try it out. to many people read too much into the blogs these days. just make sure the one you check out at the store has the current updates. they fullscreen'ed every app and made the camera update-able through the playstore.

i'm keeping it as a backup (maybe) because it's more than solid. camera is decent, but as @rockbox said decent will scare folks away. when you have samsung, apple, and google (it's almost effed up how good this 2 xl camera is) doing what they're doing there's no excuse for decent. but at this current price there is an excuse, except for maybe people who use the camera often. look no further than the upcoming razer phone that's launching at $699 as an example. it's already been reported that the camera isn't going to win any awards, but with pricing these days it may be good enough. i'd like to mess around with it.

i'm coming off as a essential fanboy, but folks that follow me elsewhere know that i've been more than harsh. i like the phone, but hate the company.

just test it for yourself and don't read to much into what people regurgitate on social media. :)

edit: spelling... no to know
    edit part two: went ahead and sold it. no need in keeping it in a drawer.

#256 OmegaSupreme, Nov 6, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
    ramotadab likes this.
  17. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Honestly I switched to iOS about a year ago and I just stopped having any desire for a new phone. There's nothing exciting about iphones but they just work and have great longevity. The performance declines over time from android devices just made me hate every phone I had. I did have a nexus phone and for the most part it didn't have the lag problems but it hit end of life as far as software updates so I switched to an iphone instead. It also didn't hurt that carriers were running absurd deals for the iphone 7 last year.

Just purely from a monetary perspective, the lack of temptation for a new phone is enough to validate my decision. Saves you a lot of money when you stop worrying about upgrading. However, as far as the iphone x goes, you could always wait until next year when the 2nd generation for it comes out and buy that or buy a used 1st generation. Or just wait a few months and see how the reviews fare over time.

fba34 and ramotadab like this.
  18. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

Phone preference is going to change from person to person. the best way is to try it out yourself. Performance wise being stock android, and having the same processor as all the flagships, the phone should feel like it flies. The build quality of the phone will probably be exciting to hold in hand. wireless charging and water resistance to me are like packages on a car. It's nice to have but it's not essential to the phone's performance on a daily basis. at under less than 50% of the Pixel XL2 and Iphone X, I'd say the essential is a bargain. I'd pick one up and try it out for 10 days from Best buy and if you don't like it, return it.

ramotadab and OmegaSupreme like this.
  19. OmegaSupreme

said it way better than i could with less rambling. :D thx

#259 OmegaSupreme, Nov 6, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
    BiGGieStuFF likes this.
  20. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

Here's another option for the Essential Phone.

It's a bundle deal for the white phone plus the 360 camera. The camera is backordered for 1-2 months but the phone is available right now. So you will receive the phone much much earlier than the camera. The breakdown for the order is $346 for the phone and $154 for the camera. People on slickdeals are reporting that amazon customer service is telling them that once/if the camera arrives, you will be able to return the camera by itself for $154. So there is a really good chance you'll be able to to just get the phone for $346+tax.

I am super tempted but my LeEco Le Pro 3 is still going strong and this doesn't seem like a huge upgrade. The battery life might actually be a downgrade. I am still on the fence.

ramotadab likes this.