1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Big Bob currently under fire: "Cant let the inmates run the prison"

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by donkeypunch, Oct 27, 2017.

1. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

You can't hide behind the idea that it's just a figure of speech. There are plenty of figures of speech that came from a worst time period in America. Sayings like "crack the whip" is also a figure of speech, but it's extremely offensive at the same time.

2. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Sure.... man... Because lining with a POLITICAL party means they are 100% behind the leader of it. Ever heard of siding with the party that is the most beneficial to oneself? He even pulled Vincent to the side and apologized, in which he acknowledged and accepted, leading me to believe that he also thought it was taken out of context.

3. magnetik

magnetik Contributing Member

I'm offended that they're offended that they think I'm offended for what they think is offensive.

mario_v likes this.
  4. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

The big winner in this is Rick Smith hahahaha

Pen15clubber likes this.
  5. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

it's not offensive because of race (if you conflate "inmates" with "blacks", that's a you problem)

it's offensive because it reads as if he thinks he owns his employees

I think he was trying to say that employees don't dictate company policy, and it came out poorly.

And there are limits to even that thinking, as employees can go elsewhere if they don't like the policy (except that the NFL is in some ways a government created monopoly).

6. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

^Donate millions to #MAGA, in support of an enthusiastic, Neo Nazi sympathizer president , say racially charged sh-t - pull Vincent aside an apologize = all is forgiven, it was NOT THE REAL CONTEXT.

This story is on the cover of this month's White Privilege Illustrated #MAGAzine. A special billionaire edition.

Contrast the willingness to cover this with what is being demanded of Colin Kaepernick, whose one modest gesture has rendered him an enemy of the state for all time.

Bennie Anders and Dopamine like this.
  7. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Are you denying that racist people don't conflate inmates with blacks and that comparing NFL players to inmates is exactly what a racist person would say?

8. the shark

the shark Member

"Racist"? So all inmates are black?

It certainly wasn't a wise comment, but to call it "racist"?

9. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Unfortunate choice of words, but he tried to use a common phrase without much thought. This will blow over soon.

10. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

11. solodolo

solodolo Member

Every old wrinkling white dude do think that and sadly it's the truth there's more black people in prison so I won't be surprised if this old rich wrinkling republican thinks that as well .

12. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

I'm saying it's what a nonracist person might say as well (the usual phrasing is "inmates running the asylum", so McNair didn't help himself there)

it's tiresome to want to presume the worst about someone (that they are racist) that you will jump on the slightest thing to reach that conclusion

13. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

I guess McNair is getting up there in age and his mental faculties are not quite what they used to be. It's a figure of speech and I'm sure many bosses and owners say that stuff behind closed doors all the time. Can't say that in front of your subordinates these days.

14. Milby Buff

Milby Buff Member

Bob needs to be at todays practice and talk to the players and look them in the eyes and apologize to them. No need to apologize to anyone else but them and mean it. Let them look him in the eyes and determine if he's sincere. Texans are trending now for the wrong reasons and it's a damn shame.

CallMeTheDream and JayGoogle like this.
  15. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Dood.... Taking all this b****ing and moaning to the D&D

16. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Stupid thing to say. Wouldn't be surprised if he was a MAGA follower.

But I don't care and Deshaun Watson is going to murder the Seahawks.

17. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

The dictionary definition of PC:

"Conforming to a belief that language and practices which could offend political sensibilities (as in matters of sex or race) should be eliminated."
    https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/politically correct

Damn, @ipaman ... you're right. That's just a terrible thing to believe in or champion. It sure would suck to not be able to racially denigrate women or minorities with my words. I may have to go through life being sensitive to those around me. o_O

This is probably going to devolve into a D&D thread, but I wanted to put in my $.02.

vinsensual and Dopamine like this.
  18. Nook

Nook Member

The employees in this case are ALSO the product in this case.

I don't see how anyone cannot think that it could be taken as offensive in the context of everything happening.

McNair is a big boy, he SHOULD know better but the reality is he is out of touch, you can see it with his football team.

I will give McNair credit that he found Vincent right after the meeting and apologized. That tells me that he really didn't intend to be offensive and didn't need to be told to do it.

ElPigto likes this.
  19. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

The whole point of Kaep's protest is to illustrate the stark divide between teh way law enforcement treats blacks and the rest of society (note we have since added a white supremacist president who thinks that police brutality against blacks is on the whole a good thing)

This stark divide is reflected also in the way the justice system and the political system (disenfranchisement) treats non-whites, especially with regard to incarceration - and it also mirrors the way the nearly all-white coterie of billionaire MAGA sympathizeers who control the NFL treat their largely black labor force, who literally risk their lives and sanity for the profit of the white ownership - using their position of (in many cases, hereditary) power and privilege for the end of increasing it, for its own sake.

For McNair to not only unsubtly hints his view of the natural order of things but is startlingly tone-deaf. Again, I give you the reason why white privilege exists - powerful rich white folks like McNair see things like this and can't understand why blacks are so upset. Because in their view, he and the rest are running the prison.

20. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

He apologized TO people that were offended. He didn't apologize IF people were offended or say he was sorry THAT people were offended. The last two are non-apologies but what McNair actually said in the statement is perfectly fine.