1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Workout/Nutrition Help Thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SK34, Jan 2, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

or he's a freakishly tall guy who constantly exercises

[​IMG]

AirBud#10 and Os Trigonum like this.
  2. Movement_Is_Medicine

Joe Rogan isn't an expert on diet and/or training. Everyone he brings on is an expert in their field but you also get to hear how some of them have ideas that run opposite of someone else in the same field. Listen to his podcast with with Dr. Andy Galpin (I believe it's 2 episodes ago). He's someone who's worked with one of my mentors and he says, "it depends" to most of Joe's questions, like any good coach should do. Context is key. In training and diet science, few things are absolute. Most are still listed as theories and not law. Calories in vs calories out is the law of thermodynamics. That's the main principle when figuring out which method (keto, vegan, etc) to use when someone needs dietary help.

We can't use the N=1 approach. What works for you, doesn't necessarily work for someone else. You say your hunger goes away on keto, but I have some where that doesn't happen. They can eat and eat. You can still gain weight. If you add a stick of butter to all your food, that's technically keto, but there's a good chance you'll also gain weight/fat. Just like some people can build good glutes with squats, but others need more than just squats. There are physique contestants that don't use squats to build their glutes. Same with barbell bench press and building pecs. Some have horrible leverages to build pecs using the barbell flat bench to try and build their pecs.

3. AB423

AB423 Member

I’ve recently been counting my macros for my bulk/lean. Didn’t know I needed so many carbs.
    Question is, does it matter what times I eat my carbs? I work night shift so my schedule is crazy.

4. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Sometimes you need some makaveli to unlock that beast in you

5. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I would try to do them around the times of your workout, before and after. Obliviously before for fuel and after to replenish. I always liked the idea of tapering your carbs off the closer you get to bed. If you're really bulking you should have additional before bedtime as well but that's probably overkill for casual mass gain.

AB423 likes this.
  6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

It's interesting @hoodooslab asked that question (when to eat carbs), then @cheke64 posted a video with Wolverine as the thumbnail. Hugh Jackman needs to bulk + stay lean to play Wolverine. He would eat most of his carbs on workout days and almost none on his few off days.

Usain Bolt doesn't eat much before working out. I don't get it, but it works for him. To me, you want carbs before a workout, otherwise you might be feeling hungry and weak.

But like @Movement_Is_Medicine mentioned, different strokes for different folks.

7. Movement_Is_Medicine

Nutrient timing is something you add when you have the other basics down first. Think of it as adding learning how to do a crossover if you don't know how to dribble yet.

Calorie balance -> macros -> nutrient timing

Get the first 2 extremely consistent first then move on to nutrient timing.

AB423 likes this.
  8. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

No, Hugh Jackman used prescription and supervised use of AAS.

Also, how, when, and what of carbs all depends on goals and current condition. The average Joe is fine missing carbs all together and maybe a meal or two of the on days they exercise.

Lots of you fatso overestimate carb needs.

SIL

cheke64 and Tonaaayyyy like this.
  9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

No, huh? Steroids or no steroids, it was the prescribed eating regimen. Prescribed by people that probably know what they're doing since they're doing it on a high level. He wasn't roiding up, watching American Idol and eating donuts, FAM. NEXT.

10. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

Lol, yes he was. He was on prescription testosterone dough boy.

SIL

11. AirBud#10

AirBud#10 Member

It doesn't matter a ton, but Ideally you'd want to have most of them around your workout.

AB423 likes this.
  12. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

Luc has better post moves than Clint

SIL

13. ryan_98

ryan_98 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

are you trying to add bulk (muscle), or lean (lose fat) up, or both at the same time?

i think the answer is extremely important to the path you'll take

14. AB423

AB423 Member

Im trying for both

15. ryan_98

Supporting Member

this is certainly more difficult than just losing weight or adding muscle, but it's not impossible.

you mentioned carbs. how many are you eating per day? what are your other macros? and how much sugar are you taking in each day?

16. AB423

AB423 Member

I’m 5’7 and weigh 160. My macros right now are 192g protein, 60g fat, and 223g of carbs. I would roughly say I eat about 15g of sugar a day from my almonds, don’t know if you count sugar from fruits but if so then about 40g.
    I go to the gym 4-5 days a week.

17. MystikArkitect

Any good regimens for Ectomorphs? I’m 5-9 and 158. Best I’ve been was 166 at 11% BF. Work/life made me fall off and just haven’t been the same since. Bought an Apple Watch so I don’t have to lug around my phone (which is a HUGE distraction for me and was the main reason I couldn’t work out).

I’ve never been able to achieve amazing arms or pecs. My abs, shoulders and back are all solid by my damn arms have never been able to get that growth. I hate eating so shakes are a huge thing for me.

18. franchise403

franchise403 Contributing Member

To grow you need building blocks (food) in a surplus. Find your maintenance kcals and add 200-300 and monitor your weight. If you’re not gaining add another 100 kcals per week.

*Ideally* you want to gain around 1-2 lbs per month. Ride the gains for six to eight weeks but don’t let yourself get over 15% bf which is around the % where your insulin sensitivity isn’t great and you can start gaining more fat than muscle.

19. ryan_98

Supporting Member

i'm not a doctor so use this at your own benefit/risk.

if i understand you correctly you're wanting to add some muscle and drop your body fat. in my experience, in order to do that you are going to have to be completely disciplined with your diet. depending on your body composition, and as franchise403 said, 1-2 lbs of muscle grown per month is about as much to expect. more than that and you're probably adding fat.

as far as your diet and timing of your meals go, you're going to have to adjust it a few times over the coming weeks to find out what works best for you. you say that you have a crazy schedule working the night shift, but are you working the same schedule week to week? if this is the case, and you're going to bed around the same hour each day, then you can begin to form an eating schedule. each person's goals dictate the scheduled eating hours. this doesn't mean to eat at specific hour intervals, it means the window within which you can eat.

knowing your goals i would say a fairly open window is fine as long as you stop eating at least 3 or if possible 4 hours before going to bed. this allows your body enough time to digest everything and work for a few hours to burn the last of your energy. this means if you sleep 8 hours each day then you have 16 possible hours to eat. if you're not going to eat for 4 hours prior to bed your eating window is now down to 12 hours. i find an 8 hour daily window works best for my schedule and health but being that restrictive isn't necessary. if you want to limit your hours further do so and see how it impacts your performance, hunger, and mood.

as far as what you eat and based on the macros above, you're somewhere around 2300-2500 calories a day. how long have you been eating this way and what have your results shown thus far? if you're losing weight and still getting stronger then stick with it. those numbers seem high to me (especially the carbs), but i don't know you. what are your carbohydrate sources? in order to bulk and still lose fat you will need to eat clean meaning lots of vegetables (fresh and cooked) and meats (not fried). it also might mean scaling back or even eliminating grains and potatoes/rice/corn.

weight training at the gym is important to the extent that you need to push yourself when you're there. doing the same basic exercises every time without challenging yourself will limit your growth. get a fitness tracker or log your exercises on your phone to keep track of your progress. i do 6-week rotations and track each gym visit. for example, i worked out shoulders and one exercise was arnold press. last week i did 3 sets with 8, 6, and 4 reps with 15, 20, and 25 lb dumbells, so this week's arnold press was 3 sets with 8, 6, and 5 reps at 20, 25, 30 lbs. in the past, i'd try to rely on my memory but would end up just lifting the same weight and limit the improvement.

20. AB423

AB423 Member

Thanks for the response, been meaning to get back to replying to this post.
    I was bulking up, eating 2300 calories a day for about 3 weeks.. gained a few pounds and strength the past few weeks. I got to my goal of bench pressing 225lb so I'm happy.
    I just started carb cycling to help burn more fat. My carb sources are whole wheat tortillas, rice, bananas. Now just added pasta to it. But just a serving at a time.
    As far as my schedule goes, I pretty much having the same schedule every two weeks unless I pick up extra work days. So I usually go to bed around the same time on my work days, around 8-9:30 am. I know you said I should stop eating 3-4 hours before I go to bed but I need my morning protein after the gym before I go to sleep or else I wouldn't be able to eat breakfast until 4pm.
    If I'm working then I head to the gym after work and get home and cook breakfast, shower and sleep. If I'm not working then I go to sleep around 11pm and wake up around 7-8am to head to the gym.
    Like I said I just started carb cycling at 2200 calories, 1 day high carbs, then 2 days low carbs, then 1 day high again, and a cheat day. Going to try this for a couple of weeks and see how it goes. If I don't see that much progress then I will drop down to 2000 calories.