1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It's early, but anyone else skeptical about Harden + CP3?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RocketStan, Oct 20, 2017.

1. RocketStan

RocketStan Member

Maybe it's the media getting to my head and obviously it's pretty early for anything conclusive, but I'm not as sure about the fit after watching a few preseason games and the Warriors game. The offense is exactly the same as last year so far. Harden is full time ball handler when he's on the court which is fine. I think he's the best playmaking PG in the league. However, CP3 just ends up being a spot up corner 3 guy. He's basically just doing what Beverly did last year. I don't see any slashing or cutting. I don't see him moving around the floor trying to find open space for easy jumpers. I was hoping he would play like Steph off the ball but so far it doesn't seem to be the case. Also, CP3 has a very slow release and he's pretty short, so it's easy to close out on his open 3's.

I can understand CP3 may not be effective like Steph off the ball, then why doesn't Harden play off ball when they're both on the court? Honestly, everyone who said CP3 is redundant with Harden seems to be right SO FAR. I think with Harden's playmaking ability an elite scorer would be a better fit next to him. Not definitive, call it an early season hot take, but I think it's worth the discussion.

PS. Harden seriously needs another go to shot. His step back contested 3 is just a tough shot and not reliable.

rm365 likes this.
  2. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

3. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

I believe Broussard has some reservations.... lol

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Skeptical about the playoffs matchups at best and they are miles away.

5. topfive

topfive CF OG

Yeah, screw that hurt knee. Get moving, CP3!

Sounds like somebody's got Chris Broussard's sauces in his ears.

Killatron 2000 and dje243 like this.
  6. RocketStan

RocketStan Member

Absolutely fair point. But I'm not so sure that was the only reason. I think it's also the D'Antoni system, mixed with CP3 just not being a great off ball player.

7. RiceRockets

RiceRockets Member

Broussard made a clutchfans account?

s3ts, DonKnock and Alvin Choo like this.
  8. Tdugs710

Tdugs710 Member

Watch that new Chris Paul ESPN documentary. He basically admits that he is not used to the style or pace, and it will take him awhile to adjust. Harden and Ariza told him that they were going to yell at him and be at his throat if he hesitates to shoot. So expect it to be a work in progress.

9. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

The problem that Houston will have which makes having both of them redundant is that nobody moves off the ball except whoever is involved in a screen. So its usually 3 people standing around, 1 setting a screen, and one driver. Their combo will drastically improve if the team has nothing but moving parts so they can make quick decisions on where to dump it off to. They need to all be moving parts on the court. The really issue is CP3 and Harden both don't move off the ball very well nor does anyone but Capela. Ariza tries to but isn't good at it.

10. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

It's like people have no idea what sample size means anymore.

carib, Sajan, heypartner and 3 others like this.
  11. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

just tell ryan to play up to his contract and errythang good

ROXonROXonROX and topfive like this.
  12. Streets 01

Streets 01 Member

You and most of the national media...

DonKnock likes this.
  13. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I'm ONLY worried about health .

If James and Chris can avoid getting banged up , they play well enough for the rest of the squad to not worry about getting banged up.

14. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

15. Reeko

Reeko Member

Skeptical about Harden and CP3 after 3 games of them playing together against NBA teams? Seriously? Did u not think it would be a work in progress and they would be a well oiled machine from the jump?

carib, DonKnock and Crashlanded19 like this.
  16. ROXonROXonROX

ROXonROXonROX Member

NO!!!!
    I'm more worried about CP's knee at this point.

DonKnock and Crashlanded19 like this.
  17. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

He played one game, on a bad knee, against the best team in the league, and we won.

If that makes you concerned I am not sure what to say.

18. OTMax

OTMax Member

Sceptical about them being able to play together? No. Sceptical about them being the best backcourt? No. Maximizing CP3's talent? Yes. If you are not, then you haven't been paying attention to our playing style, philosophy and CP3's game.

19. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Let's calm down until we see CP3 100% healthy first. He's been injured since the Memphis game.

20. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

don't let this w distract you, but stay calm

Vivi, DonKnock, Soneca and 1 other person like this.