1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Blade Runner 2049

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Torn n Frayed, Dec 19, 2016.

1. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

And I think there is an egg in that film that references B.R. but I haven't seen it yet to confirm, anyone else see it?

2. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Worth going to see again for the 3D version? I'm afraid it is the last chance I will ever get.

3. smitheygerard

smitheygerard Member

Finally got around to watching the original bc I want to see 2049. I guess I had the wrong expectations but I didn't really like it at all. Seemed to just drag along, and I had a hard time staying interested. The whole JF Sebastian thing was just super odd...tons of plot holes...

That being said I still want to try and see 2049. The trailers make it seem much different than the original. Hopefully I'm not fooled again...

4. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

If you don't love the original, don't see 2049. Very similar pacing and definitely true to each other.

5. smitheygerard

smitheygerard Member

That's a bummer. I'm still gonna try to see it though.

I didn't hate the original, but I guess I had a different idea of what the movie was supposed to be going into it. It didn't help that Sean Young plays Rachael. Every time I see her I can't help but think of Ray Finkle and his hemorrhoids.

RudyTBag likes this.
  6. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Did you make sure to watch the DIrectors/Final cut?

Torn n Frayed likes this.
  7. smitheygerard

smitheygerard Member

Yes that's the one I watched, so I don't really know what differences there were in the theatrical version.

Like I said before the Sebastian character was weird... I couldn't make up a good reason why he was interested in housing the replicants, how he could immediately tell they were replicants either without the eye test... Some things just didn't add up. Plus this dude is seriously one of the top genetic engineers working for a huge corporation like that?

Then Tyrell just basically accepts his death by having that casual conversation with Roy? What? Like he didn't know he was about to get smoked if he couldn't come through. Gimme a break.

8. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

@Deckard

9. smitheygerard

smitheygerard Member

Nah thankfully he blocked me.

10. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

The OG release has a bad voice over done by Ford to explain all the subtleties the Directors cut leaves in. Most importantly is the unicorn dream sequence Dekard has while playing the piano but this was cut from the OG release and the final origami Dekard finds, a unicorn, makes no sense if you didn't see the dream.

11. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes

CCity Zero and Torn n Frayed like this.
  12. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

I think Sebastian is one of the most interesting, in fact, because he was dying, just like the Replicants. I think the aspects you don't understand are purposefully elusive, which is a small part of what makes the original Blade Runner one of the great films of our time.

Sebastian suffers from the same illness that the Replicants do: the inability to age naturally. Both Sebastian and the Replicants have limited lifespans which is why Sebastian is able to empathize with Pris and Batty.

Pris: Must get lonely here, J.F.
    J.F. Sebastian: Not really. I MAKE friends. They're toys. My friends are toys. I make them. It's a hobby. I'm a genetic designer.
    Roy: We've got a lot in common.
    Sebastian: What do you mean?
    Roy: Similar problems.
    Pris: Accelerated decrepitude.

Tyrell: I'm surprised you didn't come here sooner.
    Batty: It's not an easy thing to meet your maker.
    Tyrell: What could he do for you?
    Batty: Can the maker repair what he makes?

Also, keep this in mind, MAYBE Tyrell himself was a Replicant?

"There was a side narrative in one variation of Hampton Fancher’s original screenplay in which Batty asks to see the “real” Tyrell. The real Tyrell had been afflicted with an incurable disease and was in a cryogenic chamber awaiting revival and treatment for whatever disease he was suffering from. In the purest context of the Blade Runner (1982) world there were some problems that have yet to be solved. Aging, death and certain diseases being the most pertinent."

#112 RudyTBag, Oct 19, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
    Torn n Frayed likes this.
  13. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Did ANYONE see this in 3D? Today is the last day and I am debating whether to catch it or not in 3D before it is GONE FOREVER! :(

14. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

On the contrary. "Young" Sean Young was so easy on the eyes that Ray Finkle never entered the picture for me. But I saw the original when it came out, well before Ace Ventura; the earlier image was stronger than the second; the second did not besmirch the first.

Invisible Fan and RudyTBag like this.
  15. tinman

Supporting Member

I did. The 3D was fine. it just enhanced the experience.
    Mainly when the flying car was flying around

RudyTBag likes this.
  16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Yes, I have the "Final" director's cut by Ridley Scott. I also saw the sequel in 3D, and it was beautiful. Haven't seen the 2D version yet, but I'm sure it looks beautiful as well. Heck, I even have a small metal "briefcase" that came with the "Final Version" somewhere in my closet. One might go so far as to say that I'm a rabid Blade Runner fan. No worries, though. I've had my shots.

(Sorry - just saw this!)

#116 Deckard, Oct 19, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
    CCity Zero and RudyTBag like this.
  17. tinman

Supporting Member

I thought the audio was spectacular. Especially the loud sounds there in Dolby Atmos
    Joi imposing her image on that call girl was amazing

CCity Zero, GRENDEL and Deckard like this.
  18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

No arguments from here!

CCity Zero and GRENDEL like this.
  19. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Saw Blade Runner in IMAX the other day. LOVED IT. The cinematography and score were beyond amazing. Glad I saw this on IMAX. They really set it up for a sequel too.

If you are on the fence on this movie, do yourself a favor and see it on the big screen.

20. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

When will Joi be available for purchase? I'll take two.

Yung-T, RudyTBag and tinman like this.