1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Home alarm recs

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by itony, Oct 12, 2017.

1. itony

itony Member

Just looking for quality home security...but affordable lol. Pretty much just the doors and monitoring is all I need.

Thanks!

2. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

We use Smith Thompson. No fancy bells and whistles and it's $18/month or something like that (you pay once yearly).

ADT, Vivint etc. are all going to be at least double that and sell you on the cameras and extras.

CCity Zero and itony like this.
  3. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

I bundle with Comcast / Xfinity. Cable, internet, and alarm for $180. My contract is coming up so I may look into different options.

I've seen a lot neighbors with Smith Thompson signs but never realized how cheap they were. May look into them

4. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

I got a Smith Thompson panel installed last week. It's been great so far. I pay $16.95 and they're a local Texas company with good customer service.

Let me know if I can refer you (full disclosure: I'll get one free month; not sure if you get anything).

CCity Zero likes this.
  5. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I use Simplisafe.
    But there's tons of smart alarm competitors now.
    I've just been with Simplisafe for a good 5 years now.
    There's probably a better, techy version.

6. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Search for this on wirecutter dot com for their recommendations. If nothing else it will be informative and help you make a better choice.

7. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Get a large dog and leave him/her inside while you're gone. 90+% of burglars will simply go elsewhere if there's a ferocious beast inside, in my opinion. The alarm systems are great when you go out of town, though, and have the beast with you or boarded. That, or live in an apartment that makes having a good sized dog problematic. We have a system, and it's off most of the time. I'm out and about and can't remember the company. Might post it later.

Good luck!

8. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Home alarms are often nothing more than self assurance, though in my opinion still very much worth it. I like the peace of mind and the thought knowing that I’ll have heads up on whether or not something may be happening. Cops, especially in highly populated areas like most of Harris County, give very low priority to non commercial alarm alerts. Info that I’ve received directly from a reliable source.

Of course there are small towns, gated communities, and high income areas that will have excellent response times, but they’re the exception. Fire and carbon monoxide detection is also a plus.

9. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

I use Frontpoint. They're an online company. They had a deal when I signed on. I do want some cameras added later, and its pretty easy to add them.

10. Mack

Mack Contributing Member

I used Sloan Security in Austin. They were okay, about $20 for cellular monitoring. Smith Thompson has a really good reputation. Now, there are a ton of competitors, including DIY wireless installs. I know of Simplisafe and Frontpoint, but Ring and Nest just recently announced new security systems as well. I am currently using Abode. Do a google search, as this market seems to be really accelerating now.

11. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Yeah but who cleans up the good sized dog craps?

12. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yeah, Smith Thompson is great, and uses cell monitoring in the $16.95 / month. Also, local call center, and Texas owned. I've been very happy with them, the problem I had was not finding them sooner and dumping ADT. Dropping ADT was impossible, they offered to match ST but only for 6 months, I think the canceling of ADT took longer than ST setting up the new system, just awful customer service. Cell setup is great too, got rid of the home line.

13. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

ADT is the worst. Salesmen came to our door almost every day for the first month after we moved in. I think they must keep an eye on real estate listings and when homes are sold.

Good point on the cell monitoring -- meaning you don't have to have a landline installed like many of the others which could another $30+ per month on top of the ~$40-$60 for something like ADT.

We also have a Dropcam/Nestcam separate from the alarm system, though it hasn't been used in a while. I may look into getting an outdoor one for the front porch if nothing else to deter package thieves.

14. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I heard (though I can't remember where from) that the barking of the dog(s) is primarily what deters would-be burglars. Don't know how true that is, but in the 12 years I've had my jack russell I haven't had any break ins. Now over the last 7 years or so you add in my wife's chiweenie? Forget about it. Those criminals want no part.

Deckard likes this.
  15. body slam

body slam Member

My parents have ADT and all it was good for is to let's them know what time I came home at night.

16. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I was thinking of getting a jack russell. How do you like? I hear they're hyper, do they ever chill out?

17. what

what Member

This is only my opinion, but after having my door kicked in twice and my tv stolen twice, i bought a strikemaster 2. Alarms are great, but they will ve in and out of your house so fast it wont matter.
    If you reinforce your doors, you wont get robbed. Period.

Video:
    http://www.asafehome.net/PAGES/Safe-Homes-International-StrikeMaster-II-Pro.html

Buy:
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Safe-Hom...53308&wl11=online&wl12=45754707&wl13=&veh=sem

CometsWin likes this.
  18. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Mine started to chill in year 12 or so. Wife and I having a baby, which showed her she was not at the top of the pecking order, helped her chill even more. But she still occasionally explodes and goes nuts.

Fwiw she is great with the baby (now toddler).

CometsWin likes this.