1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Southwest announces flights to Hawaii

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by mrm32, Oct 11, 2017.

1. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Southwest is ALWAYS the cheapest flight when I fly. Usually only about $10 less than United, but there are no bag fees so it is always lower. I also prefer the boarding system Southwest has, especially to United's. The employees are also a lot more friendly. Plus they always give free alcohol when the flight is even a little bit late. So for me, its always cheaper and its always a better product.

DonnyMost and DieHard Rocket like this.
  2. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I don't see why it wouldn't be. I'm so glad I have the companion pass till the end of next year.

3. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Yeah I meant "isn't" places like Dubai Tokyo London are freakin expensive. Hawaii not close as to as much. Although I've only been there once. I've been to those other places 3-4 times each and London proabably aboht 10 times, and it always trips Mike out how much a crappy dinner there costs.

4. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Confession: I haven't worked for a US flag carrier in quite some time and don't drink industry information on a daily basis like I used to.

It is true Southwest doesn't always have the lowest fare on every city pair they serve, but that completely misses the point. The air fares of cities heavily served by Southwest are significantly lower compared to those that aren't. The competitive reactions from other carriers when Southwest enters a market is quite understandable because they don't want empty seats.

Rest assured: If Southwest is allowed to add enough flights to Hawaii, fares from the USA mainland will drop significantly. After things settle, it doesn't mean Southwest will always offer the best deal. They manage revenue, yields and public perception better than anyone.

I'm definitely not a fan of flying Southwest. I hate their cattle-car mentality of herding people. But you can't help but admire how well their ruthless business model works.

No Worries likes this.
  5. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Ditto. Though I'd say it's slightly cheaper about 75% of the time for me, depending on the destination one of the major carriers usually matches or beats them. But often the no bags thing puts them over the top (I travel for work and have to lug an extra case filled with equipment).

Their service is great IMO and most importantly, rarely delayed or cancelled.

6. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Ditto.

I'll gladly spend up to $50~ extra to fly on SW just because 1) the experience is consistently better and 2) no nickel and dime tactics.

7. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

When I lived in Austin and was traveling 2 weeks a month, I flew SW all the time. Between having the credit card and the actual travel, I was on their highest tier with Companion Pass. I never boarded any worse than A5. Think I was somewhere in the area of 1.000,000 points after I used points to get a Xbox for my kids. I enjoy the experience and I never minded the boarding process. I'm a habitual "check in at the exact second I'm eligible" person. Plus I was always stocked with free drink coupons.

Now, I live in The Woodlands and driving to Hobby is too much of a hassle. Plus, I don't travel much for work anymore and they don't fly to where my company is based (Central Wisconsin). Only United, Delta and American for that. I'm going with Delta because United is just terrible in every way.

8. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout Contributing Member

They will be using the new 737 MAX to get them there.

cheke64 likes this.
  9. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Why wouldn't it? Its valid for all the destination SW flies to in the Caribbean, Central America and Mexico.

10. el gnomo

el gnomo Member