1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mike Ditka: There has been no oppression in U.S. in last 100 years

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Air Langhi, Oct 10, 2017.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Btw, my ex wife is hispanic. Her parents are from Nuevo Laredo. And that being said, i know i stereotype a little with Hispanics, but really I love Hispanic people. I work with them a lot in these general labor jobs right now so I talk to a lot of them.

On corrupt police, my ex has had a cousin kidnapped south of the border. They're not even rich. So that's the the experiences my views of Hispanics's views of federales comes from

2. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Im from the Yao Ming sign up period around 02. I got banned (and understandably so) I used to post a lot here and i agree.

that being said obviously we all think our view or opinion is correct

3. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

There are plenty of countries if you are good at sports you can make a lot of money. Maybe not football, but you can play soccer, or tennis, or cricket or a whole host of other sports and make a ton of money. You just have to be really really good.

4. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

You're right I thought about that,but still i just think black people should be more appreciative of living in this country. When I say our history gets in the way of this, i'm saying that as it is an issue preventing us from moving forward.

One issue i had a big problem with cause it encapsulates what im saying is the response of black people to the movie 12 Years A Slave and Hollywood. We complain about dumb **** like the Oscars that won't benefit literally 99.99999% of us. We are upset at a movie that depicts the reality of our history that helps it not be forgotten. A true story of a triumph over slavery.

Black people on my facebook were saying they got up and walked out this movie. I'm like that's ridiculous, its just truth. You knew about slavery and the movie was about slavery before you got there.

We are not comfortable with ourselves. There is nothing white people can do to fix that. Yet we want to forget, but not forget it when government checks are being handed out, it just representw that we are the ones not moving forward.

When i say we can't move forward, my view of the media's treatment of so called Civil Rights issues of the last decade, is just their position is how Civil Rights issues should be treated based on the 60's. Nobody challenges so called civil rights issues.

5. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I guess its impossible to get banned in the D&D. Open racism is apparently okay. I mean I don't really care if they are banned because it is interesting to know what racist people really think, but just saying.

6. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I don't have a problem when checks are being handed out. That wasn't the point

7. foh

foh Member

What's your actual point? Blacks should stop complaining because Latins are not complaining? They should be be "peer pressured" into silence? That's not real American, you know.

And your other argument about Mexican Law Enforcement being so much worse.. Who cares? We live in America and we care to make America better.

Stop with the stereotyping - just because you know a certain community better, it is still stereotyping - exactly what the Koepernicks of this country fight against. Prevalent stereotyping is Racism and effects one's treatment under the rule of law which is against constitution (14th amendment)

Deckard likes this.
  8. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

There is nothing to complain about. Our biggest obstacles are within our community

Edit: do Hispanics complain about the police. There are places where police are forced to question their citizenship.

#88 pgabriel, Oct 12, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
  9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

10. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

How about the problem of banks providing higher interest rates for minorities seeking loans who have the same credit as whites who got lower rates? How is that obstacle solved "within our community"?

Please don't tell me how your cousin once got a good loan at Wells Fargo so you know how the banks operate but the banks in Mexico are much more racist because you have a aunt-in law that once got a bad loan in Guadalajara.

Countrywide's Racist Lending Practices Were Fueled by Greed
    https://www.theatlantic.com/busines...ending-practices-were-fueled-by-greed/250424/

Economic racism is a slippery thing in 2011. It's not out in the open, like a "whites only" sign above a lunch counter. And it's not explicit, like the deed to a house barring its sale to blacks or Jews.

Instead, it's submerged. It lives in patterns of discrimination hidden within reams and reams of hard to analyze data. It's not necessarily driven by animus or hate. Sometimes it's just a product of garden-variety greed.

For proof, direct your attention to the record-setting settlement announced this week between the Justice Department and Bank of America over the mortgage lending practices of Countrywide Financial. The bank agreed to pay $335 million dollars to settle claims that, at the height of housing boom, Countrywide routinely discriminated against blacks and Hispanics by charging them higher interest rates and fees than equally qualified white customers.

The 45-page complaint that accompanies the settlement may be one of the most extensive studies of housing discrimination ever completed in this country. The court papers outline what Justice investigators found when they analyzed 2.5 million mortgages Countrywide issued between 2004 and 2008. Bank of America, which bought the enormous mortgage lender in 2008, has not admitted or denied any of the government's alleged facts.

Here is the ugly story made brief. According to Justice, Countrywide overcharged more than 200,000 black and Hispanic borrowers for their loans. About 10,000 were sold risky subprime mortgages, even though their finances were good enough to qualify for cheaper prime rates. Black customers who obtained their mortgages through a Countrywide-affiliated broker were more than twice as likely to get a subprime loan than similar white borrowers. In some markets, they were as much as eight times more likely.

The government argues that Countrywide's internal data monitoring should have tipped management off that discrimination was occurring. But the company did nothing until 2008, when regulators forced its hand. At that point, it only compensated a small number of the customers who had been cheated.

We can't know the motives of each and every Countrywide employee responsible for such a systemic failure. But we can know the circumstances they were working under. In those circumstances, discrimination was profitable.

Countrywide's employees were paid extra commissions to hand out more expensive mortgages. Brokers could earn fatter fees for convincing borrowers to take out an exotic subprime loan than for a plain-vanilla 30-year-fixed mortgage. And of course, the more borrowers paid in interest and fees, the more money Countrywide made.

Everyone involved with the company, from the executives on down, had an interest in hawking the most expensive loans they could. And sadly, minorities were the go-to targets for that kind of predatory lending. For years, black and Hispanic families in America had minimal access to credit. As Ellen Schloemer of the Center for Responsible Lending explained to me, that meant many of them had scant familiarity with complicated financial transactions, such as taking out a mortgage. During the housing bubble, their inexperience made them an easier mark for unscrupulous lenders, especially if they spoke little English.

It shouldn't be a surprise then that two-thirds of the victims Justice identified were Hispanic.

Greed fueled a system that created a pattern of racial bias. No, it's not as overt as old fashioned "redlining," where bank executives flatly refused to lend in black neighborhoods. But that doesn't minimize Countrywide's actions. It makes them more insidious, because they're harder to detect.

11. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I worked in banking from a consumer perspective and commercial loan perspective. This isn't stereotyping.

Blacks have neither the money nor credit as a whole that white's or even hispanics have.

Loans make money. The bank hopes you have credit so they can make money when you approach

Edit: You know what football players can do with all that damn money

Here's a hint, this post is about banking

12. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

You didn't even read the damn article. You're just blabbering. I'm going to put you on ignore now.

13. zksb09

zksb09 Member

You know, black people have historically been in the forefront of many struggles that have benefited a large number of other Americans as well. The civil rights movement is an obvious example. If Rosa Parks or Martin Luther King hadn't complained, where would we be?

NewRoxFan likes this.
  14. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Thats fine, but really I'm making a point about blacks and hispanics and real discrimination. Americans assume blacks and Hispanics are in similar positions, and as a whole, blacks were socially, economically, and politically in a better position. They have passed us. That's the point, and its more about attitude than anything else.

15. foh

foh Member

If I were black, I would complaint for the mere fact that I am a member of an impoverished class/community and there is nothing I can do about being constantly stereotyped as a "poor" person. Even if I am a rich footballer in fact, I would still feel the brunt of the stereotype hanging over me whenever I take off those diamond studs and golden rolex and walk in a white neighborhood. And the only thing that would pacify me a little is seeing government doing something palpable and with a sense of immediacy about the economic disparity currently in place.
    So do you think the government is doing enough to address the economic segregation?

16. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Just wanted to compliment you on your recent posts which have been thoughtful and well-presented.

zksb09 likes this.
  17. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

That's true for everyone. That's human nature. This is what i learned about stereotyping from my very liberal anthropology class. its a tool that helps us get trough life we can't evaluate every personal situation

18. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

That post is a prime example of what i'm talking about.

Its 2017 not 1957

19. zksb09

zksb09 Member

Thank you

20. zksb09

zksb09 Member

And 1957 in turn was much better than 1897 or say the 1920s in that regard.
    Then it comes down to whether you believe the battle is completely won or not. I, for one, think we have a ways to go. If you didn't believe that, then recent events under Trump, should have been eye opening.