1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Unofficial 2017 ALCS] New York Yankees vs. Houston Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by swyyyguy, Oct 12, 2017.

1. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Keep in mind only 1 of the games ended up being close, and they went Verlander to Giles.

How they handle the pen will be interesting.

eric.81 likes this.
  2. toycannon

toycannon Member

Let's cast out all demons of the past with NY teams...beat those yanks!!

Pen15clubber and Daddy Long Legs like this.
  3. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Are you saying you, "Trust Giles?" :)

4. toycannon

toycannon Member

Getting homefield along is already big for us plus the match up with the indians would have been worst too.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  5. Anticope

Anticope Member

Not to take anything away from the Yankees but I don't see how anyone can say the Indians wouldn't have been a tougher matchup than the Yankees in a 7 game series, especially when you look at how we played against each team in the regular season. The Indians were, in my opinion at least, the favorites to win it all coming into the postseason while the Yankees are a good, up-and-coming team that's overachieved a little bit to get to this point. Still can't take anything for granted though.

BigMaloe, DudeWah and RasaqBoi like this.
  6. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

The Yankees are definitely an easier matchup. The Indians had a great offense, a great bullpen, and a great starting rotation. Avoiding Carrasco and Kluber was a huge victory.

I'm not going to assume we win the series, but I feel like we are the favorites, while we would have been underdogs to Cleveland.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  7. toycannon

toycannon Member

Plus the yanks is those few legendary teams in sports that always seem to win against everyone no matter who they are playing. I hate them...like the Cowboys, Celtics....etc.

8. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

I thought that you were @Haymitch or @Hippieloser at first.

9. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Scoring early and avoiding their bullpen while trailing sounds great, but it's not necessary for winning. We just beat Kimbrel (arguably baseball's best closer) and beat Chapman earlier this year.

Let's continue playing as well as we have all season when healthy. We're healthy.

#49 Houstunna, Oct 12, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    BigMaloe, eric.81 and Daddy Long Legs like this.
  10. Buck Turgidson

Barf. But I'm prepared to hear similar Yankees schlong gorveling for the entire series.

11. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

As the Indians & Yankees just demonstrated: the regular season doesn't mean anything. Not only did the Indians win 11 more regular season games - they also took 5 of 7 from the Yankees.

The Yankees outscored the Indians and gave up fewer runs than the Astros. And they retooled their team down the stretch, adding significant pieces. They flew under everyone's radar because they weren't very good June - August (41-42) - but went 20-8 in September, same as the Astros.

It's a good team with a potential MVP and a lot of experienced players who, as they demonstrated in the ALDS, will not shrink from the expectation.

I think the Astros are a clearly better team - but short series can dull some of the advantages, especially if little mistakes here or there add up.

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  12. Anticope

Anticope Member

Your last sentence kind of proves my point though. Would you have said that the Astros are clearly a better team than the Indians if Cleveland had won last night? A 5 game series has more of a fluky element to it than a 7 game series, plus I think Francona screwed up his rotation a little bit. Like why did Trevor Bauer start twice, including once on 3 days rest, while Carrasco only started one game?

#52 Anticope, Oct 12, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    Houstunna likes this.
  13. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I am glad the Astros have home field advantage in this series, but I really hate 2-3-2 formats in any sport. The Yankees are hot right now and baseball has a history of "hot" teams riding momentum all the way to a championship (thinking of the Marlins off the top of my head). It feels crucial that we don't waste Keuchel and Verlander to go up 2-0.

14. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

15. Hey Now!

The Yankees' bullpen is as good as the Indians' and they scored more runs this year. Kluber is obviously better than any Yankee starter - but Severino, Sabathia and Gray are foundation of a good rotation.

eric.81 likes this.
  16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

While the Yankees (bullpen primarily) performed well.... I'm not ready to say they beat the Indians moreso than the Indians underperformed.

The Indians stopped hitting... against pitchers who are hittable. Part of that was Encarnacion's injury... but Jose Ramirez (an MVP candidate) was completely shut down, while Lindor (other than his GS) wasn't the constant threat they were used to.

Kluber had 2 bad games. He's the likely Cy Young award winner.

As a comparison, if the Astros have Correa/Altuve struggle as much as Ramirez did... and Verlander has 2 bad games... then yes, there's a good chance they won't beat the Yankees (or any other 90+ win team) in a short series.

Nook likes this.
  17. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

When it comes to ESPN, Fox Sports and etc.. we're the underdogs. They and MLB would love to see the Bronx Bombers back in the WS and even better against the Dodgers.

18. Hey Now!

No; it doesn't. Case in point, you example happened 14 years ago.

And how are the Yankees any hotter than the Astros? That's one of the biggest fallacies of postseason play: hotness. If you're winning series, you're hot. Trying to apply varying degrees to it is silly. The Astros just blew the Red Sox doors and have won 24 of their last 33 games.

marks0223 and mtbrays like this.
  19. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Why do you keep omitting Edwin's injury? He's CLE's RBI leader, by a lot.

You just used CLE-NYY as an example to support your "regular season doesn't mean anything" theory.

Now, you're using regular season stats to support your "NYY is good" claim.

Maybe you really mean, "regular season doesn't GUARANTEE anything."

BigMaloe and Daddy Long Legs like this.
  20. Hey Now!

Yes; I think the Astros are a better team than Cleveland. The Indians had an historic 22-game win streak - and won exactly one more game than the Astros.

Sure; any short series can be fluky, more so if small mistakes here and there start to add up or get magnified. But I've thought the Astros were the best team in the AL all year and I think they're going to win the AL regardless the opponent.