1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

H e l l o Patrick Fertitta -- Morey's new li'l buddy??

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by heypartner, Oct 11, 2017.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Oh noes.

I thought this was a joke in the presser, and the young twenty-something sons were just studying the Landrys business with Dad and the hospitality side of the Rockets.

But Patrick wants to be in the draft room, and his older brother says Patrick is sharp and studies bball and can describe Bucks trades from 2005 ...:eek:

I'm crying here...someone hold me.

---------------------------------
    Rockets ownership a family business

Michael age 25
    Patrick age 23
    Blayne age 20
    Blake 17/18

Fertitta said the Rockets will be a family business, with his children one day to take over. Even before then, when he said he is too old at 60 to gain the expertise to take over the basketball decision-making, he said pointed to his oldest sons Michael and Patrick and said they will begin those studies.

They will not begin telling Rockets general manager Daryl Morey who to select on draft night. But they will know who he will choose long before the commissioner shakes his hand.

“One of the things that made this franchise so attractive to us, beyond that it is in the city we love and that it is a franchise that is prepared and ready to win, is that the executive management team is second to none,” Patrick Fertitta said. “We firmly believe that. It starts with Tad (Brown, the Rockets CEO), Daryl and his guys Monte (McNair), Gersson (Rosas) and Eli (Witus). These are some of the best in the business at analyzing the game, developing players and studying what talent is out there.

“So, we’re going to do our best to learn as much as possible and absorb as much as possible from those guys. Hopefully, down the road, our insight is valid and useful and we can be an asset in any type of way. But right now, we’re so comfortable being able to rely and count on Daryl and his team. They’re excellent.”
    Still, Morey might see as much of Fertitta’s oldest sons when working the phones as he will his new boss, with Patrick especially coming into his role as a particularly avid fan.

“I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t looking forward to being in those rooms and being a part of those conversations on draft day and trade day,” Patrick said. “As of right now, it’s just something we find a joy and a pleasure. For right now, we’re going to let those guys who do this for a living make the decisions.

“Myself, my brothers (Michael and Blake) and my sister (Blayne) we’re all fans of the Houston Rockets. We’re going to do whatever it takes for this franchise to be a perennial contender and hopefully win numerous championships for decades to come.”
    Michael said he will need to catch up first with Patrick’s knowledge of the game, saying his younger brother can describe Bucks trades from 2005.

“While I’ve been a fan watching the game, Patrick has been studying the game,” Michael said. “Now, I have to keep up with his pace.”
    Until then, Michael and Patrick said they are in training, knowing their role can grow in the decades the family owns the Rockets franchise.

“We talk about the future a lot,” Patrick said. “We’ll have really big shoes to fill here at the Rockets and over at the unbelievable diverse company our dad has built over the last 30 years. Our goal is to get smarter and be more of an asset every day.

“If the opportunity presents itself to take on an executive role here, it would be an honor, it would be a privilege and it’s something we certainly get excited talking about. Until then, we’re just trying to learn as much as we can every year.”​

#1 heypartner, Oct 11, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
    topfive likes this.
  2. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

This is why I don't like that its a family owned team now.

I prefer self made men in charge. Not rich kids who think theyve never been wrong before in their life lol

Houtho, topfive, RiceRockets and 12 others like this.
  3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

4. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

" For right now, we’re going to let those guys who do this for a living make the decisions."

[​IMG]

D-rock, BigggReddd, Houtho and 19 others like this.
  5. heypartner

I hope they know how to keep family secrets like a good mafia kid. If Patrick leaks a Morey trade, ima gonna be pissed, although I'm sure this bbs will eat it up.

We're about ready to see an explosion of fake insiders claiming to go to high school or college with the fertitta kids.

#5 heypartner, Oct 11, 2017
    D-rock, don grahamleone and Deuce like this.
  6. J.R.

J.R. Member

Owner: Tilman Fertitta
    GM: Patrick Fertitta
    Coach: Michael Fertitta
    Roles TBD: Blayne & Blake Fertitta

7. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Meh I would do the same if my pops bought the Rockets

#7 sammy, Oct 11, 2017
  8. heypartner

Our only hope is Blayne ... and the Son In Law taking over

Blayne Fertitta-Watt

Otherwise we end up with the Game of Thrones version with Blayne as cute little sis on mommies lap

Maybe the older brothers screw up and leak trades, then Blayne takes over like Jeannie Buss

crimsonghost likes this.
  9. gotsis

gotsis Member

Oh no, Rockets going to follow the NBA 2k MY GM storyline. We are screwed, Patrick will trade someone for Speights behind Morey's back.

10. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Don't worry about the kids. Just because they are involved...doesn't mean they will be the GM...lol. Think Lakers. The kids let the basketball people run do the personnel moves.......Kid worry about the Lakers brand.

11. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I said this the day Fertitta got the team. "Brand new Insiders" are coming....

Yeah, the thought of "the kids" meddling is frightening, but we'll just have to see when the time comes. My guess is as long as Tilman is alive the buck stops with him and he will empower Morey. Who knows the landscape of the NBA when Tilman isn't in charge anymore. Not really worth worry about for now.

12. heypartner

Ummm...Jim Buss was the Head of Basketball Operations and certainly was hiring the coaches and involved in trades. Jeanie finally had to fire him.

#TeamBlayne

Jeanie Buss on firing her brother from running basketball side of biz --

Yeah, you know, the way my father set it up was he wanted my brother to oversee the basketball and me to run the business side, but ultimately, he wanted the team to be run the way he had set it up. The Lakers are a franchise that people know what you stand for, they know what you’re looking to do. And for, you know, 3 or 4 years, it just seemed like the team was lost in terms of what we were trying to build. And so a decision had to be made that was tough for me, which was to remove my brother from overseeing the basketball. We didn’t see eye to eye on how things were going, and it was time to make a change. You know, that’s why we got to the point that we did.”

#12 heypartner, Oct 11, 2017
    CCity Zero and JayGoogle like this.
  13. Reeko

Reeko Member

if any of Fertitta's kids are reading this, we demand better looking jerseys and a better lower bowl experience

14. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

This, it will be fine. No reason to worry now, Hell Cavs owner has family involved, wrote a stupid letter and still got lebron to come back and win it... Obviously it might fall apart soon but hey that city's curse is over :)

And Lakers do too, eventually if it all goes bad you know Fertitta or one day his kids will just hire someone to get it back, you don't have a franchise with this kind of value and then dump the brand, especially w/ this large of a market. Fertitta is known for buying junk and redoing it to fix it and make profits, on this deal he's basically getting his dream to own a hometown team that's already set. And him owning it is better than some outside investors, at least w/ the excitement, I mean it's not like we got an owner that wants to move the team to Seattle or something.

15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

O Lawd.

D-rock and Richie_Rich like this.
  16. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

I honestly wouldn't mind them taking a more active role in the business side of things.

That whole family knows how to make money, they have been rich for a really long time.

But leave the basketball to Morey and those guys.

CCity Zero and jakedasnake like this.
  17. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

This is a little troubling. Sounds like the kid is being honest and has a good mindset but I fear he will become antsy being a fly on the wall and ask for more involvement way too soon. He should not mettle with decisions until he has at least been a fly on the wall for 5 years or so and has proven himself to be an asset like he says. Otherwise, just sit on the sidelines and cheer on the experts. I fear he will rub Morey the wrong way if he thinks he knows more after only 1 or 2 years. After all 1 or 2 years when you are in your 20's seems like an eternity and you usually think you are invincible. Let's hope Tilman and Morey and Co. can keep the kids at bay and give them roles based on their abilities and not just hand them anything.

Tfor3 likes this.
  18. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yeah, this is kind of what I was referring to on the Lakers, they basically hit reset again and are looking better (blah, I don't like the Lakers...), but the moves they're making are on the upside.

19. Erbnwarfare

Erbnwarfare Member

Seems like little Patrick just have a good memory . He can name every Bucks trade since 05 lol. Man I hope Morey don't have to answer to these kids.

don grahamleone, napalm06 and amaru like this.
  20. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

If they are such big fans they probably are already on Clutchfans, right? Does any Fertitta family member want to usurp the role of liaison to Rockets smartest fans (aka Clutchfans) and publicly come forth with his/her clutchfans screename?