1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

[Movie] Star Wars Episode VIII

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Deuce, Jan 20, 2016.

1. SC1211

SC1211 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes - though the political backdrop in episode 1 was radically different. I'm not going to defend TPM as a great film, but AOTC and especially ROTS are much more ambitious films than TFA. You can't just take one prequel film and say that it is representative of all 3.

Also, not Rey's story in TFA?? It's a carbon copy. The plot was boring. Each rewatch it gets worse. The writing is almost as bad ("on board the Millenium Falcon with your father...HAN SOLO").

I look at it like this...the prequels had interesting, ambitious plots with poor execution. TFA had a boring, stale plot with better execution.

Rogue One was a step in the right direction. I think Rian Johnson has proved himself with his previous work, so TLJ has me excited. But Abrams is awful. I guess I can understand people who enjoyed being reacquainted with the characters and settings after 20 years, but the film itself is bad upon even one rewatch, and gets worse with each one.

francis 4 prez and GRENDEL like this.
  2. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

[​IMG]

3. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

George Lucas isn't a great director and is too full of himself to recognize that. He does have a great sense of story. Empire Strikes Back is so good because it's Lucas' story but written by Lawrence Kasdan and directed by Irwin Kershner. Ideally Disney and Lucas could've collaborated so Lucas still did the overall story while leaving it to JJ Abrams and others to fill out the dialogue and direct it. Instead Abrams played it safe and rehashed a previous plot with tons of references for fan boys while Lucas wanted to either do it all his way or not at all.

4. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Is anyone else already sick of the Porg? The bird rodent thing riding on the Falcon with Chewbacca.

francis 4 prez, Jontro and B-Bob like this.
  5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I for one salute our new Porg overlords.

#205 Joe Joe, Oct 11, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
  6. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

No, I am 100% pro Porg. Space penguins. Honestly, people pulling out the Ewok/Jar Jar card...don't worry. Likely the porgs are just a small part of the movie and not a huge focus. Think like Jawas in A New Hope. And a single cute presence like BB8 in Force Awakens. The movie looks dark, the the porgs probably just add a touch of levity to balance things.

7. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I, for one, rejoiced when George Lucas collected his whatever billion(s) to not direct any more "Star Wars" movies. "The Phantom Menace" was horrific, save the "Ben-Hur" pod race. At the end, when the music burst out as the credits rolled, the audience stood without a word. What could you say? "After sixteen years Lucas gives us THAT. An elaborate video game for children, complete with a hermetically-sealed white-adult's tone-deaf racism: Meesa Jah Jah Binks; the hooked-nose moneymaking blue thing; the Trade Federation dudes whose lips didn't match their Asian-accented words as if in a bad kung-fu-dubbed movie. Note to George: get out of white world every once in awhile.

The Empire Strikes Back was easily the best of the Star Wars universe because it let the bad guy have his day (albeit briefly) and, yes, George Lucas' involvement was less than in other installments.

As for playing it safe, was it JJ Abrams who made the decision or Disney? Naturally he'd say "it was all me" if asked. I don't want to blame him if Mickey Mouse made the call: (MIckey Mouse voice) "Gosh! Can't'cha make it more like the first movie? Doing something different is just 'goofy'! Get it? ha ah, ha ha. 'Goofy'!" (Goofy appears) "Garsh, Mickey, duh, what about originality?" (Mickey) "F*** originality, I want the money! Ha ha, ha ha!"

francis 4 prez likes this.
  8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Rey's story was not the carbon copy of Anakin's and Luke's....she doesn't end up blowing up the space station...she ends up confronting her arch-rival in a way that Luke never does in A New Hope. Rey's relationship with Finn is unparalleled in episodes I or IV. Rey didn't spend half of a movie rushing to save a princess..or a prince, for that matter. Other than her getting off a desert planet and going through some self discovery about gifts, I'm not sure what Rey did where I'd say,....oh, yeah...just like Luke!

I compared it to Episode 1 because all we have of the new trilogy is one movie. I'm not prepared to comment on all the nuances of a plot of a movie I haven't seen yet.

9. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

I forgive TFA for being a rehash. Even though it wasn't technically a reboot, it was a reset. It was a palette cleanser to get the taste of the trilogies out of everybody's mouth. It was a smart move to play it safe and get everybody back on the same page. I agree that its not as good with each viewing, but its good enough to do the job...reset the Star Wars Universe and make people want to see it again...and to basically make people forget about the prequels.

It did exactly what it was designed to do.

10. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Because it was basically a rehash of episdoes 4, 5 & 6. In the original Star Wars (ep. 4) we have everyone chasing a cute droid carrying plans that were essential to the Rebellion. In TFA, we have everyone chasing another cute droid carrying a map that's essential to finding Luke Skywalker. Hmm. I found the Kylo Ren character to be somewhat of a whiny little b**** knockoff of Darth Vader while Daisy Ridley's character was essentially young Luke Skywalker from ep. 4-5. The Snoke character did not register with me at all as did General Phasma. The First Order is just a Nazified reincarnation of the Empire. Also, the lack of technological improvement made no sense - it's been 30 years and they were still flying tie fighters and X wing fighters plus the Millenium Falcon was still functional? As is R2D2 AND C3PO? Really??? I understand that Star Wars has always been a bit simplistic as far as science fiction goes but TFA broke no new ground for me - everything was sort of frozen in time. At least the Star Trek reboot gave us a new and different look and feel. I must confess that after seeing the new trailer, I'm not feeling ep. 8 at all - especially Luke's character. I just hope the Han Solo movie proves to be better.

droxford likes this.
  11. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

These are the only Prog overlords I will recognize.

Torn n Frayed likes this.
  12. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Prefer King Crimson, TBH, but anything is better than space hamster.

13. codell

codell Contributing Member

]

[​IMG]

#213 codell, Oct 11, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
    Deuce, Jontro and B-Bob like this.
  14. CCorn

CCorn Member

The Porg is obviously Snooks true form.

Jontro likes this.
  15. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Lol, thanks for ruining the movie ;) I honestly expect this to happen 8 = Empire. However if they go the FB route with alcohol I'm ready!!

16. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Me too

17. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

The FX were good it was better than 1-3, but basically copied 4s plot, don't get me wrong I like Star Wars but it was just a bit bs, Han Solo's part was a joke, they should have had him die better than that garbage. I think they played it a bit too safe because of 1-3

18. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

What about already seeing this plot the first time in episode 4... hahah, don't get me wrong I'll watch 8/ESB wooo

19. JaceMan da SpaceMan

@Progs

20. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

[​IMG]