1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[UNOFFICIAL SPECULATION] 2017 ALCS 2017 Roster

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by lnchan, Oct 9, 2017.

1. Nigel Thornberry

Trash comment. Liriano is terrible but he can at least throw a strike. Martes has a lot of talent but he can’t find the strike zone. He needs more work in the minors

2. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Just because you don't agree with the opinion doesn't make it a trash comment. Are you 4?

I agree that Martes isn't ready for this. I'd like to see McHugh get brought in. I'd personally do it in place of Gregerson. I'd then consider starting McHugh in game 4 with Peacock moving back to the pen.

3. Nigel Thornberry

I’m 7

4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

It does not surprise me. Peacock and Morton have 0.92 and 1.25 ERAs through 1st time through the order, tops for guys with at least 34 innings in this situation. Peacock, Morton, Verlander, Keuchel, McHugh, McCullers, and Paulino all had ERA of 2.57 or less for first 9 batters and generally do well in peripherals for first 9 batters as well. Astros appear to be trying to acquire/develop highly effective guys for three inning stints (Verlander and Keuchel being obvious exceptions). For non-aces, one base runner after 4 innings appears to be the maximum allowed for non-aces in the playoffs for the Astros.

5. Buck Turgidson

White out, McHugh in.

chievous minniefield likes this.
  6. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Yep; I think that's about the extent of it. The only caveat - with Chapman, they may want an extra RHB on the bench. I think they'll keep three catchers again so they may clip Gregerson for McHugh and keep White.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  7. Buck Turgidson

Good point re: Chapman. Same goes for Miller I guess.

8. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

If we play the Indians I would go:

Game 1 Keuchel
    Game 2 Verlander
    Game 3 McCullers
    Game 4 Morton
    Game 5 Keuchel
    Game 6 Verlander
    Game 7 everybody

I like McCullers at home. He feeds off the fans. Peacock doesn't have that bulldog mentality and his stuff isn't as nasty. I'm not comfortable with Peacock going through either the Yankees or Indians lineup more than once and would rather have him in the pen since he was so good coming from the pen earlier this year. I think McCullers for 4-5 innings and then Peacock for 2 innings would be ideal.

If we play the Yankees:

Game 1 Keuchel
    Game 2 McCullers
    Game 3 Verlander
    Game 4 Morton
    Game 5 Keuchel
    Game 6 McCullers
    Game 7 Verlander

I would probably dump Tyler White from the roster and add McHugh. It gives you options depending on how the series goes.

9. HTM

HTM Member

I thought McCullers looks pretty good in relief against Boston yesterday... He maybe in line for a start... I guess we will see.

10. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

It would have to be in a planned tandem situation. Just can't trust him to get outs beyond the 4th.

11. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Yep; I meant to include him. You can see where my priorities lie, though......

12. right1

right1 Member

By when does the roster need to be finalized? Friday morning?

13. SuraGotMadHops

Say you're sorry.

14. Nigel Thornberry

Why would I say sorry? Ok you want a guy that has the worst command in the majors? You must not be an Astros fan.

15. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Can we please quit putting unofficial in thread titles? That isn't necessary. There game threads are a different matter as Castor designates official ones, but we don't need it it on every thread.

Roscoe Arbuckle and kaleidosky like this.
  16. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

I like this in concept. Except I like McHugh and his playoff experience / good pitching of late starting a game. Especially given that he (like DK and Verlander) has a shot of going 6-7, whereas the other 3 really don't.

Given that, I'd go McCullers/Morton, and then McHugh/whoever, with Peacock available out of the pen any day in the same leverage priority as Devo/Giles/Musgrove (all of whom I prioritize higher than Harris...though for some reason it seems like some believe Harris is "back" when he hasn't yet shown it)

17. SuraGotMadHops

Who said anything about wanting him on the roster? All I did was make the prediction that Martes would be considered for the roster, which now we know he is being considered. All you did was dismiss my prediction (the thread title itself calls for speculation after all) as being a "trash comment." So you can say sorry for being a smarmy agitator.

18. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

do I get my likes for starting this thread...?

19. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Unofficial because the announcement of the official roster is designated as such... didn't want to mislead folks

20. Nigel Thornberry

Once again, it’s a trash post to even make that prediction. No **** we knew it was possible but I would never even mention that. Way to jinx it.