1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Seahawks interested in Duane Brown?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by DaBeard, Oct 9, 2017.

1. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Those picks were traded before this all started. The situation hasn't changed. Rick Smith isn't any more or less desperate to get picks than he was before Brown decided to be a holdout. There's no push to trade Brown unless it can mean replacing one of those picks. Otherwise, he's under contract through next season.

2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Sure it is giving in. He either wants a new contract or he wants out.

3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Bunch of little babies in here talking about another man's wallet. Ya'll sound like women.

4. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

By this measure, cutting him would also be giving in since he'll get out just like he wanted. Either way, he'll be out. Question is whether you want to just let him walk or get something in return, give me the latter.

5. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Right I'm not arguing. The Texans can't "win" this scenario. Everybody loses. Duane Brown lost money, he lost standing in this city. The Texans have lost Duane Brown and one way or another he'll get part of his wish and be out of here. If a team is willing to give a GOOD pick for him, I'd take it. Not talking a 4th rounder though. Or if Seattle wants to deal us a great cornerback or other defensive player, I'd listen to that as well.

6. gucci888

Ya I just don't see how keeping him through the end of the season and cutting him is "sticking it to him." I believe the Texans will still have to pay his game checks after he reports whether he plays or not. I would assume he won't play (I could be wrong on this) so essentially we'd be paying him $4M to sit on the bench just to cut him and making him a FA.

The alternative is trading him, letting someone else pay his checks this season and then let them figure things out. If there is some hope the relationship can be salvaged, then ya trading him for a garbage pick isn't worth it. But I don't believe it is so I'd happily take a 4th or 5th if the alternative is nothing.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Oh damn, you're right, rookie mistake on my part.

showa13 likes this.
  8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah but I don't think anyone would offer more than a 4th or 5th round pick for him. IMO the Texans win if they force Duane Brown to lose the maximum amount of money possible and then cut him after the season to send a message to other players that it's simply not worth being as dumb as Duane Brown.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  9. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Not necessarily. If you get a high enough offer, you'll trade anyone.

Brown started this scenario because he wanted more money, not because he wanted to be traded.

Going to Seattle is no guarantee for him that he will get all the money he was after.

10. Nigel Thornberry

Your profile pic is a moogle and I dig it

justtxyank likes this.
  11. solid

solid Contributing Member

Frankly, I don't want him on the team. Get the best deal, and ship him.

deb4rockets and Rudyc281 like this.
  12. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Duane Brown for Sherman (wasn't he wanting to leave anyway) or Avril. or a 2nd rounder. But I would have one of the first 2.

I'm assuming Seattle says no lol

Rudyc281 likes this.
  13. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

The 2018 FA OT class is really bad though so he would likely make a lot of money if he becomes a FA. Better to keep him another year so his skills diminish even more, and he'll become a FA in a more competitive FA class.

14. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

The Seahawks taking Chester Pitts was one of the OL improvements that started their identity turnaround years ago. I think if this happens it happens in the offseason, since midseason trades for OL is so unheard of.

15. gucci888

Right...

16. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

I really wouldnt be surprised if Brown gets shipped soon...just a feeling...

17. HstnSprtsFan101

If we can get a 2nd rounder for him that's a no brainer IMO. Take the best young OT, CB, FS or DE in the draft.

18. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

At this point if I'm Houston management I would accept a conditional 4th that could become a 3rd based on performance.

Wanting a 2nd for an old holding out lineman is a bit ambitious imo

red5rocket likes this.
  19. HstnSprtsFan101

You're probably right. I'd be fine with that too. We need all the picks we can get. We should get a 3rd for losing Bouye right?

20. Vin2k2

Vin2k2 Member

Benjamin is not All that Bright.