1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros trade for Brian McCann

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rocketpower2, Nov 17, 2016.

1. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Why does it feel like he's been in the show for 30 years?

2. boozle222

boozle222 Contributing Member

I think the fact that he played against us in the 2005 NLDS adds to him seeming older. Those games seem like a lifetime ago.

3. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

4. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Beautiful

5. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

That's a really powerful quote, and I really, really hope Otani sees it.

6. vince

vince Member

Who is sótano?

7. vince

vince Member

*Otani

Darn auto correct...

8. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Seems like it was yesterday he took Clemens deep as a rookie in the 2005 NLDS

9. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

We got to get his bat going, he's been struggling mightily.

10. Rox225

Rox225 Contributing Member

Shohei Otani, next big thing from Japan. Kid pitches like an ace and has a sweet swing. He'll be choosing a team and it looks like money won't be what drives his decision.

vince likes this.
  11. Buck Turgidson

He's limited in how much he can sign for, so it shouldn't have any bearing at all.

Should be Luhnow's permanent text/email signature

davidio840 likes this.
  12. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Not really, just ran into some terrible luck. He mashed the ball into outs a few times in Boston, including one to the track and one scorching line drive in the 8th yesterday right at Mookie.

kaleidosky likes this.
  13. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

Yup, what Rox said. He could be a huge boon to our rotation, along with upgrading our production at DH. I think all AL teams have an inherent advantage for his services, as per reports, he is adamant about hitting (he can actually hit too) AND pitching. So that eliminates 15 teams right off the bat.

I think the coastal teams NYY and the Mariners have a recruiting advantage, and although realistic chances are slim, I have faith in our front office making a genuine run at this kid. I hope he is watching our uber talented, young core. I would imagine watching us play as a team and have fun as a unit has to at least pique his interest, and put us on his map.

Rox225 likes this.
  14. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

[​IMG]

HTM likes this.
  15. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

I was going to mention, when Sanchez hit that homer yesterday, of course, the Yankees in the dugout were happy for him, but.... unbiased glasses off.... it really didn't seem like the Astros dugout when something good happens. I mean, I don't know, but going to 20+ games this year (and many of them 2 hours before start-time in a vain attempt to catch foul balls), you see how they interact with each other when the TV cameras are off. I will say that I've seen the Mariners, White Sox, Indians, and Mets up close- seem very friendly with each other- but maybe the Astros are a "little" closer- just enough so that you know, when the chips are down, they're more likely to unify than fracture. Maybe that is what McCann and Charlie Morton are referring to.

From what I've heard, everyone really likes Verlander a lot, too. They like that he came in with a laid-back, humorous attitude and that he never acted like he was above them or anything like that. I've seen Morton, Giles, and Harris all asking him about pitching- I don't know what the conversations were about- but it just seems like they respect him for that as well as the fact that he acts like one of the guys. Because they know how accomplished he is... and he doesn't act like it, which immediately earns you respect.

(BTW, I am no insider by any means. I was lucky to get some seats next to a season ticket holder who "hears things," as he told me, b/c he knows people in the organization. I have no idea if what he told me is legit, but he mentioned they really like having him as well as the other vets- Beltran, McCann, and Reddick. The same type of stuff you hear from the players...but they're not just saying one thing to the media and meaning another, they really do like and look up to those guys).

#95 dandorotik, Oct 10, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
    swyyyguy and conquistador#11 like this.
  16. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

You're right. This team's bond IS special. It's special enough that Charlie Morton is even saying that he's most likely going to retire once his time here is done because he doesn't think he'd be able to recapture this magic anywhere else. As he put it, he'd just be chasing the feeling of getting back on a team that's THIS close-knit, and THIS talented. It's been awesome to watch, and be a part of.

17. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

I don't know about you, but I've had that happen with places I've worked at. And they're not always the most important jobs or places. I've worked in a pizza restaurant, an insurance company, a book store, a high school, a financial services firm, and a few other full-service restaurants. Out of all those places, it was the Mr. Gatti's pizza restaurant that was the best. Among my 4 best friends, people who I've been friends with for over 30 years, 3 are from that place. And I still keep in contact with a few others from there. Why? No idea. It was just this special group that all wound up working together at exactly the right time at that restaurant. Not exactly comparable to a major league baseball team- but maybe a little.

I've seen a total of 6 baseball games in person from 1987 to 2016. I've seen about 22 this year.

Now I know why it's special.

donkeypunch and Joshfast like this.
  18. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

YOU'VE GOT A PEAR SHAPED BODY!

Pen15clubber likes this.
  19. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Does anyone have that interview lol, I want the whole thing

Joshfast likes this.
  20. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I haven't read anything recently about his choice...what did you read (and where did you read) about what is influencing his decision?