1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Possible Third Star?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tycoonchip, Oct 9, 2017.

1. hakeemthagreat

Other potential cancers, Dennis Rodman, Vernon Maxwell, Josh Smith, Tracy Mcgrady etc...Can the organizations these "cancers" have previously played for be considered cancers too. If Cousins was ever available to us, we should be the 1st lined up to get him. End of story

2. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

He was very promising at one time and now if shooting like he has been can be that star type

And I think keeping him in the six man is helping to keep them healthy which also increases value

I'm not sure we need a star but we definitely need different pieces to compete with the Warriors

Unlesss your confident in

Cp3 vs curry
    Harden vs Thompson
    Ariza vs Durant
    Capela/tucker vs green

I think if we can flip anderson and capela for cousins that gives us a possible advantage at the center

That would make the matchup less lopsided

Other smaller moves might work too I just can't think if them

3. Sen89

Sen89 Member

The D'Antoni offense is best suited for stars at PG and big, which would make a guy like Cousins seemingly fit well here...but I don't know.

I feel like today's NBA values versatile Forwards so much that it'd seem like a pointless investment to go all-in with 3 superstars and one is a 6'11" C, one is a 6'5" combo and the other is a 6'0" true point...when the league is arguably run by LeBron, Durant and Kawhi, with Giannis soon to join them.

This isn't to devalue Harden, Curry, KAT, A.Davis or anyone else, it's just that you can only do so much with a handful of role players on the wing. Obviously it's also tough to win when you're mediocre at guard or big, but it's becoming more and more a wing-driven league.

4. seeingredtx

seeingredtx Enlightened

EG is our 3rd guy, he won 6th man of the year and was 3 point champion....First 2 preseason games he has shot lights out, he will get even easier looks then last year.

Batman Jones and Killatron 2000 like this.
  5. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Cousin's is your next man up. Will be difficult to clear the cap space, but not impossible, especially if you can do a trade like scenario, like we did with Paul.

Interesting that he was a 37% 3pt shooter last season, which would fit nicely here. Now sure about his attitude, but you have to take risks if you want to try and take down the warriors.

Little Bit likes this.
  6. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Cousins seems like the likely candidate if NO has a bad season. They'll need to decide what to do with him before he hits free agency. And we won't need to bid against with a team like Boston because they don't want him. That's the problem, good teams are wary about adding him because he could demolish a team. He has no track record of success and a horrible attitude problem. We're a good team now, do we really want to add him? I was a proponent of his for a long time, but I don't think we need to take the risk anymore.

I want someone like Marc Gasol, despite him being 32 years old already. His game should age like fine wine, he's a great interior defender, can score 20ppg, shoot threes, and can be a secondary playmaker if either CP3 or Harden is on the bench. Memphis doesn't appear to want to trade him, but he's getting up there in age and they might need to rebuild. We'd be unlikely to get him as teams like Boston will outbid us.

BigMaloe and Hakeemtheking like this.
  7. King901

King901 Member

8. Ming The King

Ming The King Member

9. Erbnwarfare

Erbnwarfare Member

I think the Cavs will trump any offer we can put together with that Brooklyn pick. Any star that becomes available they might be all over it. Cousins would make them the favorites to win the title and maybe enough to keep LeBron in Cleveland.

10. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

To play center? Dantoni doesn't like
    calling him a star is worse than @Drexlerfan22 saying Portland has a big 3

11. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Nene is the Rockets 3rd star. On the billboard. cc @Codman

BigMaloe, AroundTheWorld and DonKnock like this.
  12. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

I remember someone before last season said nene would be our 2nd-3rd most important player in the playoffs. I ridiculed who ever it was. Now I realized I might have been wrong. Where art thou?

13. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Also, with Nene on the billboard, probably safe to assume NENE likely won't be traded anywhere. Whereas Gordon.... you never know. Just sayin

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  14. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

While your general point is noted... I don't like your examples.
    Rodman was on winning teams from day one.
    Maxwell was on winning teams by year 2/3
    Who cares about Smith or McGrady?? They'd be more apt to prove the opposite of your point, imo.

My issue with Cousins isn't that he's a "cancer". It's that he doesn't generally play winning basketball. That's a bit vague, but its proven out.

Not sure why, in 2017, on this team, in this league, with each's potential contract, and given ages, I'd want Cousins over Capela?
    Not that I ever expect Capela to blossom into the offensive player Cousins is - though note Cousins is horrible inefficient and has only improved efficiency by adding a three pointer - but Clint and Cousins third year per 36 stats (both age 22) are remarkeably similar.

And also, not, the Cavs aren't trading the Nets pick for Cousins, unless the Nets surprise and are on the cusp of making the playoffs or something.

15. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

There's really not a ton left anymore.

If Washington and Toronto under-perform, might see some grumblings from their stars...

Maybe if the Clippers underperform the organization looks to move Blake since his contract is massive and then they at least get value back for him.

There's always LMA, but why would you really want him? I mean he wouldn't be a bad fit...

Maybe one day the Blazers realize they have to have some defense in the backcourt and look to move CJ??

The real answer is probably the Grizzlies... but the one thing the Rockets don't need right now is Conley and Gasol seems a weird fit for this team and offense... though defense would be nice.

BigMaloe likes this.
  16. Reeko

Reeko Member

please ban...

Killatron 2000 and DonKnock like this.
  17. hvic

hvic Member

you cant deny that B. Brown aka BBsix is the 3rd star lol

18. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Cousins makes basically the same amount as Anderson

Killatron 2000 likes this.
  19. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

What he makes now is Irrelevant.

His next contract will be the new max.

20. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

How is it irrelevant?

We already have the salary match there to trade for him.

If we trade for him then we can go over the cap to resign him

Killatron 2000 likes this.