1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Breaking: Obrien wanted to start Watson

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by justtxyank, Oct 4, 2017.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Are you kidding me?

Rick Smith has now survived a 2-14 season and a total flop of a QB signing.... name me one other GM that has been as teflon to survive both of those occurrences?

They both play this terribly soft Houston media to their advantage. I saw the narrative the other day that Rick Smith very well could have leaked this to make O'Brien look like he's leaking it... because a 3 year old could make the connection that this story coming out would have to be planted by a PR-interested colleague.

In the end, the only thing that may ever give OBrien a chance to outlast Rick Smith is winning (a lot) and being a part of Watson's ascension... and then using some sort of ultimatum to get what he wants.

I don't see Smith being let go or demoted for any other reason... including bad team performance, failed drafts, and bad cap management.

texian and Nook like this.
  3. Nook

Nook Member

What world do you live in?

Bill O'Brien has rightfully received massive criticism and is likely out at the end of this season.

4. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Likely out. Not even close.

red5rocket and macho GRANDE like this.
  5. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

He is less likely to be out after this season than he was last season.

And I didn't think there was a chance he'd be out after last season.

red5rocket, Nimo and macho GRANDE like this.
  6. Nimo

Nimo Member

Rick Smith wouldn't be here if he hasn't loaded up the defense with a lot of talent, especially on the offense. If the seven or so first round picks on defense hadn't worked out, Rick Smith will be out. The general consensus is that he has done well with the defense. The defense playing well hurts O'Brien and helps Rick Smith. The thing I hear people say about the QB position is that it takes a little bit of luck to get a franchise QB. That has probably bought Smith some time. If he had drafted a QB in the first round and he flopped, that probably would have increased his chances of being booted. It was probably cowardice (and smart) why they didn't use a high pick on one. Until now.

The 2-14 year was not an issue with talent. That same group of players were 12-4 the previous year.

If Watson was a flop I think Smith is definitely gone.

#186 Nimo, Oct 7, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
    red5rocket likes this.
  7. Nook

Nook Member

I don't agree with this.

He and the GM do not get along.

He is going to want an expensive extension at the end of this year (if he even wants to stay) and I don't think Smith is going to want to do that.

He has a buyout on his end as well, which he can exercise.

8. Nook

Nook Member

Rick Smith is about as insulated as any GM in the game.

He spends every weekend (even off season) with Bob McNair. He drives Bob McNair to church and attends service with him. He has every Sunday dinner with Bob McNair.

He is Cal McNair's best friend.

He is the Godfather to Bob McNair's grandchild and Cal McNair's child.

He is in all of Cal McNair's social circles.

He isn't getting fired. The best chance would be a promotion with another GM being named.

Rick Smith plays the insulation game as well as anyone in sports.

Two Sandwiches and Nimo like this.
  9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

If he has a winning year, with Watson continuing to improve, they’d be idiots to get rid of him.

10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

None of this has anything to do with being a GM.

It’s also stuff that has been well known since 2008.

11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Smith survived 2-14 and Osweiler. He’ll survive anything.

Doesn’t mean he should.

12. Nimo

Nimo Member

I think he we on the hot seat after Osweiller which he was more aggressive this offseason. He got rid of Brock, went after Romo, and then traded up to get Watson.

The 2-14 season after a 12-4 is precarious. I like Kubiak but it sounded like he lost the locker room. Similar to Wade Phillips in Dallas.

13. Nimo

Nimo Member

Yes. But there are also football reasons (or excuses) why he is still here. He has a lot of misses but he also has brought a lot of talent. I would upgrade him, and get somebody better. Especially someone who has a better track record with talent evaluation on the offensive side.

14. baubo

baubo Member

Rick Smith has been the GM for so long he essentially can take credit for double what other not championship-level GMs can get credit for. So he can bring up successes so far back when really, anyone who isn't clueless could also simply luck into such success.

I mean, even if I were responsible for the draft given 11 years I'd also have lucked into some major success ala Derek Carr last year. And I would just draft based on internet mocks and personal whims.

15. Nook

Nook Member

Yeah.... my whole point is it is going to take a lot for Smith to be fired by the McNair's.

16. Nook

Nook Member

Rick Smith isn't the worst GM, there have been some worse for sure. However over the last decade he has cemented his relationships with ownership.

I would replace him too, I just don't see the McNair's doing that.

17. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I see his point.

And I agree with you. They would be idiots to get rid of him.

But I think what Nook is pointing out is that there have been all those rumors towards the end of the season, and for sure he relationship is not good, so I guess you never know.

18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Rumors have been spread by both sides. Both sides leak plenty to the media.

My point is that an NFL head coach that gets results (and plays a part in QB development) is a lot harder to replace than a cap manager/draft organizer.

If at any point, BOB works in some sort of "him or me" ultimatum... and he's had enough results to justify that option... that may be the only way Rick Smith's role changes. And at that point, if BOB has had real success and has a good relationship with Watson, they'd be idiots to go another direction.

Two Sandwiches and red5rocket like this.
  19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

And Smith leaked plenty of anti-Kubiak rhetoric to save himself towards the end.

#199 Nick, Oct 7, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
  20. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

The thing is, if Watson plays as well as he has been, you have to credit Smith for getting him and O'Brien for crafting an offense for him. I have been as critical as anybody about the Texans, but having great QB play makes everybody look better. Check out Bill Belicheck in Cleveland.

Fullcourt likes this.