1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Should we force CP3 to cut out midrange jumpers?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by iNoseBleedRed, Oct 6, 2017.

1. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Last year shooting splits:

Steph Curry:

16ft to 3pt: 194 attempts, 46.9 eFG%
    3pt: 961 attempts, 61.8 eFG%

CP3:

16ft to 3pt: 226 attempts, 48.7 eFG%
    3pt: 340 attempts, 60.9 eFG%

Despite similar percentages between the two players, Curry's shot selection is highly skewed towards the 3pt line while CP3 mixes it up. They're both insanely efficient, but a big reason why Curry is moreso is because he just takes so many from deep. CP3 isn't the kind of guy that gets a lot of spot up shots from deep so if he's already hitting them at 60.9% eFG why not take more?

I think we'll see Paul take far more shots from deep to start the season with good results. I know the saying is if it ain't broke don't fix it, but what's the harm in experimenting early on? It's crazy to think CP3 can be even deadlier than he is now, but he can.

Nook likes this.
  2. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

I'm not so sure asking a player to eliminate the #1 weapon in his arsenal is a smart idea.

3. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I think Ryno of all people should take more mid range. When the defender closes really hard he should take a step in and take the jumper instead of driving mindlessly and not do anything with it

4. Swish4fives

Swish4fives Member

I hope we get away from jacking so many 3's anyways. SA was able to easily shut it down in the playoffs and we aint going to win a 3 point shoot out against the warriors.

cheke64 likes this.
  5. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

CP3's midrange jumper is one of the reasons that his game is so dangerous. With the right spacing, his "medium" game forces defenders towards the ball and into the passing lanes. CP can still beat you off the dribble, so the opponent's bigs have to be true to the rim, and as we know, his shot off the dribble is within the top 10 in the game.

For us, that means the 3 point line opens up a bit more, especially just left and right of the top of the key.

You don't want to diminish any part of CP3's game. You want to build to the arsenal, REGARDLESS of our offensive philosophy.

Just my meaningless, Friday-night two cents.

Deuce, yixiixiy, DonKnock and 4 others like this.
  6. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Always good to hear from my man @Codman !!! Now lemme try to decipher the subliminal messages encrypted in your post!!!

Mr Chuck Norris likes this.
  7. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

Haha thanks. No subliminals here. Nope. The #7 burn still hasn't worn off...

I'm muting my ears...I'll let Cyber and many other posters handle all of that stuff for now. :)

DonKnock and Pen15clubber like this.
  8. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Well good to have you back even with your muted ears, codmayyynee!!

9. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

Stupid thread. Delete this ****.

10. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

That would be very dumb if we did. The mid range is one of his strengths. So why would you tell him to stop doing something he's really good at.

11. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

17:05. Farther proving that Bobby Brown is the glue this team needs.

12. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i think paul will see more open 3s this season than he has at any point in his career. he's never played with a playmaker like harden who can get him so many open shots.

the mid range shots are the result of paul creating for himself. he won't have to do that as much this year.

its not really like we have to ask him to take more 3s and less mid range... it will just happen because he'll be open more and have to create for himself less.

13. rocketseagles07

The same reason why pretty much no other pg that size guns like that. It's very hard to get the shots curry gets to go in. He doesn't take "good shots"... his release is so quick and he's so damn good. Even with the fg% I think it's kind of unrealistic to compare anybody to curry.

This is kind of like well if so and so scores this many points in 15 minutes a game imagine if he had 30 minutes. It doesn't really work like that

14. rocketseagles07

If he's open more definitely, let it fly..

15. jman255

jman255 Member

Why would you want to force him to not take shots he's god at making?

16. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

This is problem with using stats without context. There is no one at the history of the league who has shot at the percentage and volume that Curry has. He is taking 3s 3 feet behind the 3 and swishing them. CP3 probably can't do that. Heck no else has been able to. CP3 should do what works for him. We have enough ft and 3 players. If players actually have to play defense in the midrange zone it will make our offense harder to shutdown.

17. JaceMan da SpaceMan

No or yes maybe

18. iNoseBleedRed

iNoseBleedRed Member

Looks like we are doing it