1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] ALDS Roster

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by lnchan, Oct 5, 2017.

1. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Deserves its own thread...

Pitchers
    Devenski
    Giles
    Gregerson
    Harris
    Keuchel
    Liriano
    McCullers
    Morton
    Musgrove
    Peacock
    Verlander

Catchers
    Centeno
    Gattis
    McCann

Infielders
    Altuve
    Bregman
    Correa
    Gonzales
    Gurriel
    White

Outfielders
    Beltran
    Fisher
    Maybin
    Reddick
    Springer

2. SuraGotMadHops

Gregerson over McHugh is really my only gripe. Gregerson straight sucks, and I also don't trust in McCullers right now if we need a long man. McHugh has experience and should've made the roster.

chievous minniefield likes this.
  3. YOLO

YOLO Member

hopefully pitching out of the pen does McCullers some good. lets go stros!

4. lnchan

Same reaction... but if McHugh is not starting, what role was he going to play? He's not acclimated to the bullpen like Liriano is. I would have preferred him over McCullers for the sole fact that I don't think LMJ is healthy.

SuraGotMadHops likes this.
  5. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Liriano over McHugh makes me want to punch something.

6. YOLO

YOLO Member

the bullpen needs a lefty though. really came down to McCullers or McHugh

7. lnchan

Carlos Gomez? We won't stop you.

8. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Yeah, I understand the theory of it, but I'd rather have a rightie who can get someone out than a leftie who usually doesn't. Liriano is hot garbage.

9. YOLO

YOLO Member

to be fair Liriano has pitched pretty well to end the season. but regardless hopefully these bats stay hot!

10. mightybosstone

I honestly would have dumped White or Centeno to get McHugh and/or possibly Clippard on the roster. This pitching staff can be so Jekyll and Hyde that I'd rather go with another arm than another bat.

11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Huh?

If Giles, Musgrove, Devenski, Harris, McCullers, Liriano.... all fail... in addition to the starters... the Astros aren't winning this series.

Centeno allows them to play Gattis at DH against lefties. White is a reasonable PH option who can play 1B if a game goes into extras.

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

It was fairly predictable that McHugh was going to be left out if they were confident that McCullers arm/back passed the test.

Gregerson is the last man out of the bullpen at the moment... behind McCullers and Liriano. He's not been good for most of the year. And yet despite all of that, his bullpen experience and his playoff experience (along with being a veteran) were enough to get him on the roster over McHugh.

13. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

With Devo, Morton, Peacock and McCullers a long man shouldn't be necessary. Worst come to worst and we have to waste some bullets in one of the early games, we can always deactivate a guy like Fisher or Centeno and bring in McHugh. If we make it through to the ALCS, I would be shocked if McHugh isn't on the roster for a 7 game series.

As I figured, the Astros couldn't resist LMJ's wipeout stuff. When you can tell a guy like him to just throw as hard as possible and literally try to strike out everybody for 2 or 3 innings, it's very hard to pass up. Same can be said for Morton. McHugh has good stuff, but it isn't close to the overpowering stuff those 2 bring.

14. Major

Major Member

Looking at how these two wildcard games went, I'd have preferred both of these guys so we have more long relief guys that can go 3-4 innings if truly needed. If Peacock and Morton have back-to-back short outings in Boston, it would be nice to have 2 extra SP's to fill in there.

15. SuraGotMadHops

Can they make a roster move like that mid-series?

16. Major

Major Member

I was under the impression you could only make changes for injury? Assuming neither of those two guys starts the first two games, it's going to be hard to claim they got injured, I'd think.

With Peacock/Morton presumably starting, only Devo and McCullers are long-guys. Musgrove could get you 2 - not sure if his effectiveness drops substantially after that. None of the SP's in the wild card games (including a pair of aces) made it out of the 3rd inning. I'd be concerned with not having McHugh - he's more valuable as an 11th guy than a Gregerson, IMO. I'd also have considered 12 pitchers. I doubt our 14th hitter is ever going to play, but I could see the 12th bullpen guy having a role.

SuraGotMadHops likes this.
  17. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Don't think so. The only time they can make a change mid-series is if someone gets hurt. And if they do that, the injured player has to sit out next series, IIRC.

18. YOLO

YOLO Member

Theres situations that calls for all of our concerns. I'd like to think the stros take care of business against Boston

19. Buck Turgidson

Only if they put someone on the DL, then that person is also ineligible for the next series. If they do DL someone in the middle of a series, that player can be replaced by anyone in the organization, whether they're on the 40-man or not as long as that player was in the organization as of the Aug 31 deadline.

eta: looks like it's not just a DL thing in-between series. After the '15 ALCS, the Royals added Mondesi Jr. to their WS roster by DFAing Joba Chamberlain (who was postseason eligible) and adding Mondesi to the 40-man.

#19 Buck Turgidson, Oct 5, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
  20. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I hope Gregerson and LMJ never touch the ball.

DudeWah and J.R. like this.