1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Capela: Future star or Future trade bait?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by 1Deep, Oct 4, 2017.

1. 1Deep

1Deep Member

I personally think in another couple of years he could be one of the best centers in the game, but a few things about his game worry me. I don't like his timing or lack there of on blocking shots. He seems to always be a step late. I also think he needs a lot of work on catching passes because he seems to rarely be able to catch the ball cleanly. He also has to get better at staying away from those stupid fouls that cause his minutes to go down.

With that being said I think he has developed well over the last couple of years and could end up being a star, but he could also end up being trade bait if Morey starts to think he's hit his ceiling. What do you guys think? Is Capela going to be a big time Center in this league or just a serviceable big man?

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

Serviceable big man, never a star.

Deuce, Mazulis, D-rock and 1 other person like this.
  3. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

This thread calls for @basketballholic

Now, I'm not saying anything else just yet, as I want to get the thread going. But, you can bet I'll have plenty of input later.

Mazulis likes this.
  4. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

Morey would definitely consider including him in a pkg to get a legit difference maker

D-rock likes this.
  5. tim562

tim562 Contributing Member

I love the Kid, really do. In order to take that next step, he HAS to get Stronger. This includes his hands, especially in the paint. Yesterday was the first preason game, so i'll cut him a little slack. But Paul is going to be on him, he'll be on the whole team. Nice to see lead. I just don't know if Capela has it in him...

6. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Terrible timing after Preseason, where he has historically sucked.

Let him get down to playing weight. He has been mass bulking for the last 3 months.

Last season at SAS should have proven something to you guys. He can be super effective at the highest level, against the best competition.

7. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I think he's trade bait for the right big. I only say that because of Clint's potential salary after this year and how his timeline doesn't match up with CP3 or Harden's. If Cousins is available i guarantee you Morey will make a play and use Capela as a piece.

8. kevtse

kevtse Member

like Melo?

9. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

how many wins does Melo add to OKC?

like non

RudyTBag and alethios like this.
  10. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

FTW, you seem to have become a diseased piece that needs to be cut out...like you can't control yourself anymore. Trash in my thread the other day, more BS after the Texans/Watson's breakthrough...racial accusations that wreak of the pot calling the kettle black. Nothing worthwhile to contribute AT ALL....spraying threads..and many of us are tired of it. So, take your meds, smoke a J, get laid, whatever.....But, enough. Maybe you need a vacation.

As to CC, he's 23...and only getting better. CP3's presence will expedite his growth.

Again, I'm guessing he puts up around 17 -18, 12, and 2 or so...while playing 28-32 minutes a game.

Clint is becoming, and thus should be a Rocket for a loooong time.

#10 Plowman, Oct 4, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
  11. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

You wouldn't be saying this if you were a Pacers' fan. You'd be talking all about 20yr old Myles Turner. And if you were a Bucks fan, you'd be talking all about Thon Maker. And if you were a Portland fan, you'd be talking about Nurkic.

And so on, and so on.

Man, there are many real star centers in this league, and it's not like the Capelas, Tristans, Adams, Thongs, Nurkic, Noels and Turners are rare. We average at least 1 a year, at their level. He's got a lot of improving to catch or stay ahead of them, much less reach DJ, Gobert and Whitesides level ... which is probably his ceiling. He'll never be as good as KAT, Davis, Cousins, Gasol, Embiid, Jokic ... nor should you get in an argument with a Celtics fan about Al Horford.

Oh, and don't sleep on DeAndre Ayton in next year's draft.

#11 heypartner, Oct 4, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
  12. lionaire

lionaire Member

Borderline star. Perfect fit for our style and we should pay the man damnit.

1Deep likes this.
  13. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

I'd trade Capela and Anderson or Gordon for Boogie in a heart beat

thedreamsteam likes this.
  14. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

btw, OP: don't view me as anti-Capela or arguing, view me as the negotiator at the table representing Rockets interest should Capela not have our hoped-for Whiteside or DJ-esque break-out season, yet he wants to be paid $20m/yr, like Nerlens does.

D-rock, DonKnock and 1Deep like this.
  15. TechieOne

TechieOne Member

Everyone knows with Morey, you are both a potential future star and future trade bait ! :)

fba34 and 1Deep like this.
  16. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

I'd be happy if he could get to Deandre Jordan level. Just dominating the boards consistently and keep his finishing ability. I think he's trade bait, though. We're looking for a third star and he's one of our few chips worth a damn. I'd like to see him upgraded to Marc Gasol.

17. topfive

topfive CF OG

If Clint Capela is our starting center for the balance of the 16-17 season, we are going to struggle to make the playoffs.

malakas, J Sizzle, RudyTBag and 3 others like this.
  18. YOLO

YOLO Member

in before someone doesn't get this :D

heypartner and topfive like this.
  19. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Careful man. People itchy around these parts, these days.

topfive likes this.
  20. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Capela has been improving every year and is already an elite finisher at the rim, which is important for this offense. Having said that, Morey will move him in a heartbeat for Demarcus Cousins.

RudyTBag likes this.