1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How will Zhou Qi be viewed by the end of the season?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by True Rocket, Oct 1, 2017.

?

How will you view Zhou after his rookie season

Poll closed May 1, 2018.
  1. Star potential

8.7%
  2. Starter potential

18.8%
  3. Quality bench player

44.0%
  4. Zhou sucks

20.7%
  5. Traded

7.9%
  1. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I like the guy, but he's getting called like Yao used to. It's like refs think he's the culprit for everything if he does something right or if the opponent does something wrong. I know he's a rookie, but he's getting terrible calls against other rookies. I still say that was a clean block. The refs are making **** up and will continue to. The NBA is an anti-chinese league if you ask me. I hated the calls against Yao and I'll hate em against Zhou too until they clean up the act. Treat them like anyone else. It's fair.

Maybe it's too early and I'm overreacting, but I can see it coming again...

fba34, Vivi, RudyTBag and 4 others like this.
  2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Can't give him a break even in preseason.

3. don grahamleone

I didn't even want to look at this because I knew you'd agree and then I'd be even less hopeful. Or more hopeless. Either really.

daywalker02 likes this.
  4. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

funny, i was thinking EXACTLY the same thing last nite. when you watch games for decades you can just smell when officiating mistakes are too egregious to simply be chalked up to random error

RudyTBag and don grahamleone like this.
  5. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah with those calls he will have no chance of success. The clean block and the the offensive foul were ridiculous calls.

Offensive foul was worse since he got tackled and they called the foul on him.

6. bongman

bongman Member

I know but ZOF are just like the refs and players - tuning up their 'post' game during pre season :)

tinman likes this.
  7. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Uh Oh! That's what was said about Shawn Bradley...

tinman and MorningZippo like this.
  8. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

Morey acquires tall shooters the way Hugh Hefner acquired hot babes. Expect a low ratio of meaningful relationships.

9. YOLO

YOLO Member

ok. please strive to be the great shawn bradley :rolleyes:

10. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

No really! That's exactly what was said about Shawn Bradley. If you want to make the case for this kid making it in the NBA the least you could do is not use the same justification used for Shawn Bradley. To me, that is the kiss of death.

11. YOLO

YOLO Member

bc shawn bradley just proves anything out of the thousands of kids who try to make the league and never do

12. jogo

jogo Member

This is the truth. They did it to Yao and now they're doing it to Qi. I can't help but thinking if he weren't Chinese then he would have been reffed differently. Is it wrong to think that?

13. davidxhz

davidxhz Member

showed great potential for D, i am not so much high on his O, but i think with the correct diet and training, his D can be mutombo like, the Chinese Finger Swagger

14. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Shawn Bradley was a damn good player.

skroodup25 and jchu14 like this.
  15. JVL713

JVL713 Contributing Member

Demarre Carroll

16. YOLO

YOLO Member

carroll sucks now and hes been injury riddled every year

17. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

There aren't many shot blocking 3pt shooters in this league.

18. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

Agreed. Even if Bradley did look awkward at times, Shawn Bradley was effective and a good starting caliber center. I'd be very happy if ZQ can have a career as good as Shawn Bradley's. He's a stiff, but a stiff that averaged 2.5 blocks per game over a 13year career and 3.7 blocks per game in his prime.

skroodup25 and RudyTBag like this.
  19. don grahamleone

It's one preseason game and the dude played like 4 minutes so it's a small sample size, but Yao's was HUGE. I'm either overreacting or starting to build a case.

20. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

And you can search the web where people are making highlight videos of him when he only scores 3 points.

This is just a generational thing. It's not just sports, music as well.
    Greatness is not earned on the court, it's made up on social media and youtube.

I was at NBA summer league with Clutchfans and we saw Qi play several games. I thought he was definitely not ready.

But when I go on Clutchfans, some dumb kid in his parents dungeon living overseas is telling me my view of him was wrong when I'm actually in Vegas at the game.

Also, there was a group of people clamored around some kid, I asked them, who was that dude? they said 'he's a star on youtube'

So Zhou doesn't really have to do anything to gain fame and fans, he already did it. Look at the highlights on Youtube of his 3 points.