1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How will Zhou Qi be viewed by the end of the season?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by True Rocket, Oct 1, 2017.

?

How will you view Zhou after his rookie season

Poll closed May 1, 2018.
  1. Star potential

8.7%
  2. Starter potential

18.8%
  3. Quality bench player

44.0%
  4. Zhou sucks

20.7%
  5. Traded

7.9%
  1. amaru

amaru Member

I’m ready to retire his jersey

brownxmas likes this.
  2. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

3. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

he's already got nba level skill in one attribute: shot blocking. nothing else he does is nba ready, but i'd say he's ahead of schedule by having at least 1 nba ready skill.

his next closest nba level skill is 3pt shooting. if he's able to hit the 3 consistently he will find himself on the rockets bench next season.

in year 3 i think we'll see his body fill out, but i'm not sure he'll ever be an above average rebounder. the added muscle will help with post defense, but the biggest gains in year 3 might just be defensive iq (rotations, help d, positioning, etc...). I think at this point he'd be a rotation player with about 20mpg backing up the 5 and 4.

year 4 will be his last on his rookie contract, and the year after ryno's contract ends. i think if he achieves the above (which isn't a big stretch) he can potentially replace ryno as the starting 4, and then backup clint as we go to smaller lineups. his 3 point shooting will allow him to fill the stretch 4 role on offense, while defensively he has the lateral quickness to keep up with prototypical 4's, and the length to recover if beaten off the dribble by smaller 4s. the fit next to clint is great since clint will cover up joe's average rebounding, while joe's weakside shotblocking will be great next to clint's post defense.

i see him as a poor man's ibaka... 3&D 4/5, weak rebounding, but good overall defense and elite shot blocking. i say poor man's ibaka because ibaka was a borderline all star at his peak, joe will be a borderline starter but probably best as a 6th or 7th man taking all the 4/5 minutes off the bench.

4. StrawberryJamm

He plays smart basketball and is fun to watch but i fear he will be a little too slow to play the 4 and a little too weak to play the 5. Different games but very much the new DMo.

BigMaloe, s3ts, robgue and 2 others like this.
  5. YOLO

YOLO Member

needs to add on weight to survive in this league but you can't teach that length. definitely a good project

BigMaloe, amaru and HakeemOnlyFan like this.
  6. bongman

bongman Member

To me, it is more than just length. He is very mobile as he was guarding the 3 spot most of the time. He stayed in front on all of those one on one plays and either blocked or caused a missed shot.

CDrex and brownxmas like this.
  7. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

If Jordan was 7’2”

HakeemOnlyFan likes this.
  8. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Seriously though ... I think like DMo his first year or so, he’ll struggle to get involved at the 4 right away and as a 5 he’s in the middle of the floor and can get more active in the offense. I think physically it’s hard to see him being ready to play the 5 at all this year. Think we don’t see him much at all till next season.

BigMaloe and RudyTBag like this.
  9. brownxmas

brownxmas Member

I want to see if he can play pick and roll with Paul and Harden.

skroodup25 and RudyTBag like this.
  10. bongman

bongman Member

His NBA debut...

11. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Somebody call BJ Armstrong, he has a new client.

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Unfortunately he will be stuck with the 3rd stringers......I hope he cracks the second team.

13. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He needs to be a stretch 5. Too
    Me too. I am dying to see him at C rolling to the rim.

14. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You know back in the day, they never made a highlight reel unless you had at least 20 points

FTW Rockets FTW likes this.
  15. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Zhou Qi should be put on the PJ Tucker diet.

Rashmon, TMac'n and amaru like this.
  16. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Needs 6 months just to try to challenge for minutes. Language, tactics, fitness. There's so much going on with him right now, but he does seem to belong. If he can block shots and hit the 3 while using his height to offset his strength disadvantage he could be a VERY useful player in a year.

BigMaloe and amaru like this.
  17. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

His shot blocking already gives him an additional dimension dmo never had.

And dmo wasn't shooting 3s his first year... Like non

BigMaloe likes this.
  18. 90dmswo

90dmswo Member

I will be happily surprised to see enough of him to make any substantial decisions about him.

19. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Chow Key needs to hit up the $5.99 all you can eat Chinese buffets with Daryl and greasy KJ

20. PatBev

PatBev Member

He needs to start that Houston diet asap and I think we have a Asian unicorn