1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are we sleeping on Troy Williams?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Snow Villiers, Sep 26, 2017.

1. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

I think this guy is gonna do great this season.

2. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

i don't think we're sleeping on him, but there's only so many minutes to go around at the 3 spot. he would have to play out of his mind to take minutes from ariza. moute and tucker are going to take a lot of minutes guarding fours or bigger 3s that he can't guard. that said, i hope he shoots forty percent from the 3, and allows ariza to cut his minutes to 30 to 32 and stay fresh for the playoffs. i like him a whole lot, and think he should be in the rotation. he needs to run the floor at all times and play all out on defense if only for ten minutes a game. he can be the difference if we win against the spurs or thunder, wearing down their older players like anthony, gasol, etc. he needs to snow bird.

Pen15clubber likes this.
  3. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Why the **** are you starting so many threads? Are you trying to be on Carl Herrera level?

4. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Will he get minutes? I'd like to see ariza take a few games off.

da_juice likes this.
  5. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Well I think he can have a decent bench role and hopefully show some good promise.

We plays the 2/3.

Not a whole lot of minutes behind the 3 but ironically enough more so at the 2.

Yes, all 1-2 minutes will be allocated to cp3/beard/ego. But I expect a bunch more rest games this year. More so for cp3 and some for harden.

So combined, I'll say they both sit 12 games for "rest". That's 12 games where he should get backup 2 minutes.

Also, I see ariza getting "rest" games also, now pj and mbah will get that majority but there is hope for a few there as well.

Plus, you have blowout leads and possible injuries minutes.

Tl;dr I see him having a role fairly similar to Tarik black and montrezl from last year.

6. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I like Troy Williams. With the Rockets moving Dekker/Harrell they have few young assets in the pipeline. Williams has potential as a swingman.

What I like most about Williams is he brings above the rim athleticism to the Rockets. Something the team just doesnt have much of aside from Capela.

I dont see Williams getting minutes with Ariza/Tucker/Moute on board, but hopefully he gets some garbage minutes to get some time. He could be great at back door cuts for ally-oops.

da_juice likes this.
  7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Depending if he could be a soft couch.....

8. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

Hopefully he pans out better than our last 3D project did (id KJ McDaniels). He certainly won't lack for positive role models in Ariza, Tucker, Mbah a Moute...and leadership from CP3. If he can't make it here, he probably won't make it in the Association.

BigMaloe likes this.
  9. OTMax

OTMax Member

MDA won’t play him unfortunately

10. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

good points...i didn't see him getting minutes at the 2 cuz of gordon, but indeed, keeping them all injury free for the playoffs should be a priority. i still think it would be hard for him to get minutes there, because Ryan anderson is essentially a 2 on offense, so he's going to play a lot with two other 3s or 4s -- tucker, ariza, moute. he would have to play out of his mind to do so..

BigMaloe likes this.
  11. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Could be valuable if Ariza/Tucker/Mbah a Moute miss any time. Hope he does well this season, he should make the roster.

12. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

he's our only forward right now who isn't a stiff on offense. unlike ariza/ryno/tucker/prince he can actually finish at the rim, handle the ball, and sprint in transition. but unfortunately like our other forwards, he's also a streaky 3pt shooter as well.

13. rockpileindisma

Williams is a beast. Kind of interested he chose us due to playing time

14. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Don't worry about it breh.

15. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

I dont trust him to any extent in a big game. I think this board over rates him because of his 1st game here.

16. Progs

Progs Member

I definitely was impressed with how he played in the SL. He could slide in when we go small and need some athleticism.

17. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

I wonder if he will last through the year without getting traded.

He is def the best of the end of the bench guys. Better than bobby brown or chinanu onuaku.

Still just dont think he will get many minutes behind ariza tucker luc

18. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

19. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

What happened? :)

20. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

He plays just like Corey Brewer. Dude was literally out of control 90% of the time but I think he deserves a shot.

ThatBoyNick, Little Bit and napalm06 like this.