1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fire Bill O'Brien

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by DonnyMost, Sep 23, 2016.

?

Should we fire Bill O'Brien?

1. Yes

76.0%
  2. No

15.9%
  3. Abstain (for the moment)

8.2%
  1. Nimo

Nimo Member

With all the suspensions, injuries, and holdouts; this team is going to end up 9-7 and O'Brien will look like a hero. Again.

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

This team is more likely to go 0-16 and than 9-7.

Nimo likes this.
  3. Nimo

Nimo Member

That's exactly why 9-7 will feel like a success. If the team has 6 wins or less, then someone is probably getting fired.

4. vjohnson

vjohnson Member

I say it's time we fired the GM

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

Hope Cleveland gets a top five (or God forbid the number one overall pick), then no way Rick can save his ass & blame Billy .. "Bill traded Osweiler for a 2nd. ... Bill traded 2 firsts for Watson. His fault, all his."

Oh, who the hell am I kidding? Rick is safe no matter what.

"That Rick was able to give the Browns a top five pick & another in the top 35, that was just unbelievable! The league has never seen anything like that before. Their jaw is still hanging on the floor." - Bob McNair

6. MystikArkitect

We live in a world where Les will no longer own the Rockets and Uncle Bob continues owning the Texans.

Deshaun is literally the only glimmer of hope. If he crashes and burns then Houston really is Cleveland South.

7. Nimo

Nimo Member

#FakeNews

Watt, Clowney, Mercilus, KJohnson, Hopkins, Foreman, McKinney. This team is a WHOLE lot better with an offensive line.

8. MystikArkitect

Didn't know those guys played QB. Foreman and McKinney? Really? Really??

Forgot Lechler and Zach Martin lol.

9. Nimo

Nimo Member

Didnt know you could only have hope from a QB.

Also didn't know Zach Martin played for the Texans

10. MystikArkitect

Rooting for a team without a great QB is like rooting for an NBA team without a superstar.

You could, just don't expect anything from it. If you do then that's on you. The Texans have had the best defensive player this generation and have been marginal at best. Why do you think that is?

*Nick Martin

11. awc713

awc713 Member

Everyone from the top down needs to move on. BOB, Rick, McNair. everyone. Everything about this organization is inept.

This isn't bobs fault. This isnt ricks fault. they are at fault, but it starts and ends with McNair. Nothing personal. I'm sure he really wants a winner in Houston. But he just can't do it.

12. Nook

Nook Member

Rick is incredibly insulated.

He goes to church with the McNair family. Hell he drives to church with Bob and Cal.

He spends every Sunday during the off season at the McNair's.

He is The Godfather of the owners grandson.

He is Cal McNair's best friend.

How incredibly awkward would it be to fire your son's best friend and The Godfather of your grandson?

It just isn't happening. The best bet is that Smith is promoted or Bob McNair dies and there is a dispute over distribution of assets compelling the sale of the team; but that is very unlikely as the team is likely to be held in a family trust.

Basically just accept the Texans need an unbelievable stroke of luck and find a first ballot Hall of Fame QB and piece enough around him.

Spacemoth, Hank McDowell and J.R. like this.
  13. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That speaks for itself, when all your head coach brings to the table is offense, and the offense just keeps getting worse and worse.....it's time to ask why he has a job.

15. Buck Turgidson

How involved is Cal? How much does he care about the team, as anything other than an asset or a plaything? I'm just looking for reasons why the McNairs would ever sell.

And the only way I see Rick leaving the GM spot anytime soon is if he gets promoted out of it.

16. Nook

Nook Member

Cal is very involved with the team. There are other brothers and sisters but they are not closely involved. Cal was a washout before his father bought the Texans and not very successful professionally or personally. He was a walk on at UT and has been obsessed with football since he was a little kid. The talk around Reliant is that over the last couple years Cal has be come more involved and doesn't just follow his dad sheepishly like a 50 year old puppy dog anymore. He is very close to Rick Smith and has read a lot about former football pioneers and owners.

If Cal has any say, the Texans are not going to ever be sold. He has a new (young) wife and kids, has stability and works with his best friend. The only way I can see a sale being possible is the death of Bob McNair and issues of distributing assets/funds to all the McNair children. However most likely the team will be held in a family trust after Bob McNair's death.

Also everyone waiting for Bob to die may be waiting for awhile. The last I say McNair Sr. he was 104 years old and I haven't heard of him dying yet. The genetics are strong... Bob could easily be alive another 15-25 years.

I can't see Rick Smith being fired either. I could see Cal attempting to promote Smith; but Smith is so opinionated that he is likely to continue to strongly influence the team.

At least Cal knows and loves the game and wants to run the Texans. However he doesn't have a great track record, even if recently he has been doing better.

Mr. Clutch likes this.
  17. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Cal's over watching the 2018 Texans cheerleaders swimsuit calendar photoshoot. As for Rick, he hasn't been a terrible GM just nauseatingly average. If he was primarilty responsible for the makeup of the roster - ala a John Elway, then I'd be first to call for his head. But from the start, the GM's primary role here has been to go get the players that the HC and owner want. He's not in sole control like other GMs. The problems you are seeing on the field stem from this organizational dysfunction that has institutionalized poor player acquisition and evaluation.

If you go back to their stint on Hard Knocks, you got a clear view of how this team operates particularly where it showed Smith doing the bidding of BoB as far as player acquisition was concerned. That works great if your HC is Belichick, Reid, Tomlin, Carroll or McCarthy but not so great when your HC is Ryan, Lewis, Fisher, Marrone and O'Brien. I just don't know what it is with Houston sports teams and their inability to build smart organizations.

Mr. Clutch likes this.
  18. Buck Turgidson

Well, that's something. Thanks.

19. joeson332

joeson332 Member

276 total offensive points in 2013??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? JESUS

20. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I predict less than 160 this year