1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why did we retire #11 for Yao Ming instead of Vernon Maxwell?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by swyyyguy, Sep 12, 2017.

?

Should we have retired #11 for Vernon Maxwell instead of Yao Ming?

1. Yes, Clutch City forever.

30.4%
  2. No, I like YOFs.

69.6%
  1. Tha_Dude

Tha_Dude Contributing Member

Without Maxwell, the Rockets likely would have been down 0-3 to Phoenix and not even advanced to the WCF.

[​IMG]

Sure, he was one of the more unpredictable players when it came to offense but when he had it going he was electric. Stats like PER don't tell the full story with him since it doesn't account for the defense he played, such as making a joke out of Johnny Starks in the finals. If you watched the games you knew that Maxwell was the second biggest threat we had next to Hakeem.

RasaqBoi and tinman like this.
  2. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Max should have a number retirement too. We wouldn't have any titles without Max and Clutch City, possibly even this site, wouldn't exist either. Max did quit on the team in 95 but it's time to leave that in the past and embrace the heart and soul of that first title team.

RudyTBag and Tha_Dude like this.
  3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You can't figure out this dudes a troll?

4. tinman

Supporting Member

Maxwell and his story about 95 was well documented in Clutch City documentary.
    He was wrong and admitted it.

He regrets how his tenure ended which I can't say for other Rockets especially those who left with max salary

RasaqBoi, Tha_Dude and CometsWin like this.
  5. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

You're still a b**** TMac. Never forget.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  6. tinman

Supporting Member

You realized he made amends with his past mistakes in front of @Clutch right?
    The one here who truly represents all real Rockets fans and the one who built this site because he loved Clutch City.

Only fitting that Vernon Maxwell talks to Clutch! It's proof destiny is real.

7. iNoseBleedRed

iNoseBleedRed Member

Nobody represents all real fans.

We each have our own views.

if clutch believes we should forgive max enough to the point of retiring his jersey, I respectfully disagree with him.

I would never retire the number of a guy that intentionally quits on us in the playoffs.

8. Le$$

Le$$ Member

tinman dreamning dawg... i knew this black girl name dawn, it aint gonna happen , what a dream, i can ask better questions...

Pen15clubber and Daddy Long Legs like this.
  9. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

10. tinman

Supporting Member

Clutch represents Clutchfans

11. tinman

Supporting Member

This thread is not
    About Yao or Max

I hope you figured it out

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  12. felixng2012

felixng2012 Member

Yao was a bit overrated as a player and he did not bring the Rockets very far in the playoffs due to his injury prone status but he was still a big name and a star. He also made the Rockets a bigger brand due to his influence in China so I can understand why they would retire Yao's jersey. On the other hand Maxwell was a good role player who had some clutch moments. The star player will usually get the nod especially someone as well known as Yao over a role player even a very integral one who helped win championships.

13. lewlloydfan

lewlloydfan Member

yao ming is not a hall of famer and should not have had his number retired as a rocket. kenny smith, mario elie, otis thorpe, robert horry, robert reid, vernon maxwell, lewis lloyd, ralph sampson, rodney mccray were all better than yao. this was a clear money grab by les alexander who showed more appreciation to yao cause he made him more of that china money.

14. joeson332

joeson332 Member

swyyguy a little b****

15. joeson332

joeson332 Member

holy hell this thread is trash.
    Can the season start already

tinman likes this.
  16. iNoseBleedRed

iNoseBleedRed Member

I agree but that's Irrelevant to what I said. Hope you figured it out.

If not about Yao or max then what is it about?

17. tinman

Supporting Member

I'm completely happy Yao got his number retired.

The happiness for Maxwell is that he's back with the Rockets after his self imposed exile.

18. tinman

Supporting Member

Buy a vowel Alex

TR_LL

Can CP3 teach Harden how to have heart?
    Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by swyyyguy, Jun 28, 2017.

Tags: Add Tags

If Lakers fans can forgive Kobe for quitting, why can't we forgive Harden for quitting?
    Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by swyyyguy, Jul 25, 2017.

So can we all agree that OKC won the Harden trade???
    Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by swyyyguy, May 24, 2016.

would we have won tonight if we had tmac?
    Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by swyyyguy, Feb 20, 2010.

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  19. Tha_Dude

Tha_Dude Contributing Member

When did Max quit on us in the playoffs? Never happened. In fact, he elevated his game when we needed him to and helped us overcome the impossible and create the Clutch City. Clutch City would not have happened without him.

Max quit on us when he went and punched a guy in Portland. But, we forgive him for that because we know that Max is a passionate player and some of his finest moments in the NBA were a legendary tale and as witness to that I appreciate everything he did for the Rockets. He cared. Guys like him are a rarity in sports now days, nobody is passionate about **** like winning anymore or having pride in what they do. Maxwell ***** all over these people on twitter everyday.

Vote Maxwell 2020.

swyyyguy likes this.
  20. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Holy crap. Joe called @swyyyguy a lil' dik bish :eek:

tinman likes this.