1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Westbrook signs extension

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by TheRealist137, Sep 13, 2017.

1. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

2. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

3. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

4. juanm34

juanm34 Member

Jordan continues to make bad deals.

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  5. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

click bait title there

10 year extension by the way

6. roslolian

roslolian Member

Lmao we dont even know if WB has a career that long, just like DRose his game is 100% dependent on his athleticism.

Btw why are all these athletes signing under Jordan? I get that MJ is goat and all but why dont these guys ask for their own brand under nike too? Its like Federer selling Nadal's tennis rackets.

7. Ranny

Ranny Member

Because guys like him are nowhere near of having that status. Westbrook is good and all but c'mon!!

A guy like Federer gets to have his own brand because he is considered by many to be the best tennis player that ever lived and he also is EXTREMELY popular worldwide, he is even revered by his peers, therefore he is totally bankable maybe in the entire planet. I know i dont have to tell you who Jordan is..... other similar stars are people like Tiger or Schumacher, they got theirs because they were the absolute best in their respective sports and are/were known worldwide. From this generation i could only see Lebron having that status, nobody else....... Curry and Durant maybe, IF they win a few more titles and somehow become less obnoxious too.

To be honest i am surprised Harden has his own brand of clothing. I guess its the perk of signing with Adidas which is not as established in basketball as Nike.

8. BackdoorHarden

Glad he's staying with OKC!

9. dakeem1

dakeem1 Member

Any #1 option on the Rockets should get their own brand, simply for the Chinese market. (our most recent HOFer for example).

10. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

More loyal to shoe company than to Oklahoma City, which is only natural.

Jontro likes this.
  11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

12. roslolian

roslolian Member

Everyone knows who Jordan is...but he is also 20+ years removed from basketball, He is now totally irrelevant because the generation that loves him aren't the shoe buying demographic, for the teenagers that buy shoes now TMac is ancient history, what more Jordan's time? Sure people will still pay lip service to MJ as the goat yadda yadda yadda, but at the end of the day kids won't buy Jordan's shoes because they've never seen him play, they will look him up in Google and see a fat old dude why will they buy his shoes over somebody like Lebron or KD who is dunking all over fools now? To expect the demographic today to still like MJ over all the current players now is like expecting people back in the 80's to still like Big 0, Russell and Chamberlain over Bird, Magic, Jordan and Hakeem. Since when did kids grow up just parroting everything the old generation did? They always like their own era more if you look at music for example the reason we have so many genres is people in the new generation thought the old generation's music sucked so they made their own brand new sound.

The reason Nike even signed these players in the first place is because they thought guys like Melo, KD etc. will have their own following and niche market since they are among the best players in the world, that is why they became shoe endorsers in the first place. So it is pretty dumb to put them under Jordan because Jordan's brand does nothing for these players because they can sell their own shoes. Will Jordan fans buy a Melo shoe just because it is under Jordan brand? Why don't they just buy the Jordan shoe itself, MJ has his own line of shoes. What is even the connection? Jordan didn't even mentor these kids, and if you buy a Melo line shoe you wouldn't buy it because Jordan took him under his own brand, you would buy it because you are a Melo fan or just liked the shoe design.

That's why if I was Melo or whoever was in the Jordan brand right now I would go to Nike demand that he make my own shoe line separate. MJ's just getting a cut of their money for no discernible reason. Even worse, Melo can't go around building his own brand because he got put under MJ. So it's like MJ made him his b**** so people can't even say he owns his own shoe brand, he's just a model of many in the Jordan brand. OTH, MJ is really benefiting from these because through these players he gets to keep his brand fresh and relevant despite the fact that he already retired so many years ago.

13. Ranny

Ranny Member

Well this is a good argument for sure.

14. val_modus

val_modus Member

Not my MVP.

Fulgore likes this.
  15. Ranny

Ranny Member

Well i dont know, maybe brands like these do studies, tests, focus groups etc etc etc. and figure out that perhaps these dudes just dont have the punch needed to carry a worldwide brand like the other legends we mentioned do/did, And its a better business for the brands to have them promote already established brands that are huge everywhere then to start from scratch a new one based on their fame.

Its nothing against them. They are great, but outside of "basketball" they are just not that famous. I live in South America and i can tell you that its not uncommon to see a regular joe in the street wearing a Federer hat, or a Jordan T-shirt, and maybe they are not even big fans of either legend, they are just casual "fans" but they know who they are at least superficially, however i would be surprised if they knew who a Westbrook, a Melo or a Kawhi is, at least not in the dimension that a true basketball fan knows.

16. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

You know how business works, right?

If these guys want to make their own brand, they're going to have to source it themselves. Ask Harden if he rather $20mil a year from addidas, or risk creating his own brand?

17. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

This increases the chance WB will leave OKC.

18. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Jordan is like Gucci or Prada for men's shoes now. The stars under it are the models.

19. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Jordan brand is the number 1 basketball shoe brand in the world. It generates more more money than Nike basketball which basically everything other than jordan shoes.

20. roslolian

roslolian Member

But thats my point, MJ is a legend who is famous around the world so people who know MJ superficially won't buy a Melo shoe in the first place, they will buy a MJ shirt or w/e basically they will buy MJ gear itself rather than waste time buying shoes under the MJ brand, Jordan XV rather than Melo II. I've never heard of a person who will buy a Melo shoe because he was under the Jordan brand, those who buy Melo shoes do so because they are fans of Melo or fans of Nike in general or just like the shoe model, meaning it doesn't matter if Melo is under Nike or under Jordan they will still buy the shoe.

#20 roslolian, Sep 15, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2017