1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kauai

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Rocketman95, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

The wife and I are headed to Kauai Friday. Any must try restaurants/bars/coffee shops? Recommended hikes or excursions? Is it easy to find medicine of the green variety? We're staying in Kapaa, but rented a car for the week.

Mahalo.

2. Jontro

Jontro Member

is this the true spelling for kawhi?

3. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Awesome. Have a blast. I miss living in Hawaii more than I miss anything.

4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

You should take the Forgetting Sarah Marshall tour. I have no idea if that's a thing, but it should be.

Two Sandwiches, sammy and Rocketman95 like this.
  5. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's been a few years but I stayed on the north end near Wainiha. Beach-wise, we didn't venture too far away from the house at Tunnels Beach but it was very nice.

There is a great hiking trail on North side, basically take 560 until it ends in Ha'ena State Park. Kalalau Trail. You can hike to a secluded little beach and then you can go further inland and there is a great waterfall. I can't remember the distance, but hit it in the morning and have lunch at the waterfall.

Queen's Bath is also pretty cool to check out. It doesn't take much time.

Waimea Canyon should also be a stop. I stuck to the main lookout point and didn't venture off on any other trails. I wanted to hike Wai'ale'ale but didn't get the chance.

There was a farmers market somewhere on that North side that was really neat.

Don't forget your Puka Dog!

6. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

I'm usually not one for overpriced helicopter rides, but it's a MUST here. Well worth the money and incredible views.

Rocketman95 likes this.
  7. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Yeah agreed. I did a helicopter ride through Waimea Canyon and the coast. Would recommend it.

Rocketman95 and Nook like this.
  8. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Wifey is from Kauai (born & raised)...from my numerous visits, here's the list of eats that we always seem to make it to...

Hamura Saimin - Lihue
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hamura-Saimin-Stand/122014851142236
    - people absolutely love this place...me...not so much. The noodles are about as average as you could possibly get...but then again, I'm not a noodle/saimin connoisseur. You will get recommended this place by everyone...try it, but don't expect an elaborate, elegant island experience. This place is the definition of hole-in-the-wall.

Duane's Ono Char-burger - Anahola
    https://www.yelp.com/biz/duanes-ono-char-burger-anahola
    - pretty decent burger joint; another hole-in-the-wall-outside type place; eat lunch with roosters and chickens noseying around you

Village Snack Shop & Bakery - Hanalei
    https://www.yelp.com/biz/village-snack-shop-and-bakery-hanalei
    Seriously good chili pepper chicken; located in a touristy strip center area with other food options if others in your group do not want the chicken

Da Crack - Koloa
    https://www.yelp.com/biz/da-crack-koloa
    Considering how far you are away from Mexico, this place has pretty good Mexican food; can always brag to people you had some good Crack while on Kauai

Uncle's Shave Ice - Lihue
    http://uncleskauai.com/
    I'm not a huge fan of shave ice...but this place has this stuff called Honey Toast that is ridiculously good; my family was big fans of the shave ice

McDonalds
    Ok, before I get crucified, the McDonalds on the islands are quite different than what you find on the mainland. They often offer seasonal specials (my wife goes nuts for the taro pie) in the form of different dessert pies (similar to the apple pies you can get mainland). Their breakfasts are great...still, to this day, the best Portuguese sausage, eggs and rice meal I've ever had.

Brick Oven Pizza - Kapaa and Kalaheo
    http://www.brickovenpizzahawaii.com/home
    My wife went to school with the owner's of this joint and we occasionally get some grub from there. If you're in the mood for pizza, this is definitely the place to go on Kauai.

These are all very local eateries. None of these are upscale, five-star restaurants. Hope this gives you some ideas. If you try any of these, let me know what you think.

9. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Has anyone stayed at the Grand Hyatt Kauai?

10. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I always recommend a zip line adventure.

Rocketman95 likes this.
  11. s land balla

I have. It was decent, although any Hyatt property in the US, including this one, doesn't stack up to international high-end Hyatt properties (think Park Hyatt Tokyo, Paris Vendome, etc.). For example, breakfast for Globalist members is in the lounge, which isn't anything special.

We used points at the Hyatt in Kauai, so if you have points to burn, I'd recommend it.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  12. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

This is exactly what I was hoping to get out of this thread! This is awesome. We aren't upscale people, so this is right up our alley.

This is for sure happening.

13. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Also, no helicopters for me. I don't have a lot of fears, but for some reason I have always been terrified at the thought of riding in a helicopter.

14. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Thank you as well!

15. s land balla

Skip anything coffee related. Buying coffee beans is almost pushed onto tourists in Hawaii because it's the only place coffee can be grown in the United States. African and Central American coffees are still far superior.

16. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Just start trail REALLY early. Gets uncomfortably crowded sometimes. Great hike. Take water and a hat.

17. B-Bob

Good call. Also, as you'll hear, their noise pollution is awful for everyone else.

"Gorgeous view!"
    Drooooooone. Chopchopchop.
    "WAT DID YOU SAY?!?!"

18. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

My wife wants to go to Hawaii next year. I always wondered if Oahu was good to go, final stop-wise, or if it is worth more to go to Kauai (I assume one flies to Honolulu and then to Kauai).

19. B-Bob

You can go direct to Kauai from the major west coast airports and probably many others, just FYI.

Kauai is much more rustic and out-doorsy. There are beautiful things on Oahu too, but it is much more developed with resorts and shopping and so forth.

(I've been to both a couple of times, but I've yet to try the other islands.)

20. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

No, you're thinking of Kawaii

Jontro likes this.