1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2018 CONCACAF World Cup Qualifying

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by leroy, Nov 13, 2015.

1. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

I mean that is an epic rant.

2. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Haha, "and get off my lawn".

3. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

I will. Lalas is a hack and part of the old order of US Soccer. He was great in the old days, but his ideas of "leadership" should be replaced with actual soccer skills and tactics.

REEKO_HTOWN likes this.
  4. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Maybe...but what in this rant was he wrong about? I've read where the '94 guys are jaded in not getting the respect for what they did for US Soccer. Lalas definitely has an anger to his commentating. But he's not incorrect. There's something wrong with this team. They are far and away more talented than Honduras...than Panama...and they struggle to get a point from them. There's no excuse for it any more.

5. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Lalas and his generation scratched and clawed for everything they achieved. Today's players have a large well funded MLS domestic league, regional and extra-regional championship level competitions, better access to Europe, money and advertisements, etc... Like he said, a generation that's been given everything in large part due to the blood, sweat, and tears of guys like him who were given nothing yet gave everything.

leroy likes this.
  6. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I agree with this here. Lalas has always been out of touch with modern soccer imo. Thats the same attitude that put retreads out on the field year after year. Guys like Altidore, Dempsey, and maybe even bradley shouldn't even be starting, yet those are the players he calls out. I agree that the US has talent, I don't agree that guys like that are the talented players and they get opportunity after opportunity to fail. Arena is definitely a problem too.

Bob Barker 007 and Hustle Town like this.
  7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He is SPOT on - this team is SOFT SOFT SOFT - since Jermaine Jones is not there we have ZERO toughness or enforcement out there, while other teams are planting Pulisic into the ground, we let them run free.

We need a tough as nails midfielder who is not afraid of getting stuck in.......

I think we finish 4th and lose to Australia and miss the WC.

DD

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It takes a talented 11 not just a couple of individuals.

9. leroy

Well, yeah...but the ones that were called out are the faces of US Soccer and are expected to be the leaders. We have talent. Plenty of it...at least enough that qualifying from CONCACAF should be a foregone conclusion. It should be clinched. We should be using these last 2 games to see some of the younger guys. Instead, we're still fighting for the last spot and hoping not to have to travel across the globe for a freaking playoff against what will likely be Australia.

10. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

I completely agree with his argument that we should hold the USMNT more accountable. What I disagree with is his manner of delivery - he pandered to the base who will come out with knives whenever one bad thing happens (e.g. people like DaDakota). Why does Lalas have the moral high ground here? He and his teammates **** the bed in the 1998 World Cup. He certainly wasn't a leader for that team. Did he point the entitlement finger at himself after that debacle? Soccer is a simple game until things stop working. I also agree that we should be able to beat Honduras and Panama, but how do we do it? Simply stating that fact is low hanging fruit.

Bob Barker 007 likes this.
  11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Never underestimate Syria........irony.

Would be a political duel.

12. leroy

To be fair, the 1998 debacle was 99% Steve Sampson. Leaving John Harkes home and "inventing" the 3-6-1. Both decisions that rank up there with Klins leaving Donovan home in '14 as the 3 worst decisions in USMNT coaching history.

13. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

LOL. They fired Klinsmann for no reason now. The team us just heartless and soft as baby ****. USMNT is about as well run an organization as the Texans.

14. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I wouldn't say they fired Klinsmann for no reason, but rehiring Arena looks to have been a poor decision. Aside from the 1-1 draw in Azteca, Arena's second tenure has been a disaster.

I agree with the entitlement statement. Many of the key players disappointed US fans by coming back to MLS instead of continuing to pursue success in Europe. Bradley didn't have to leave Serie A when he did, nor did Dempsey need to leave the EPL. Altidore played himself when he signed with Sunderland and probably would've been better served by returning to the Eredivisie where he could score a lot of goals and regain his confidence.

15. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

There's only one thing I picture when I think of Micheal Bradley:

[​IMG]

16. DaDakota

We need some toughness on the pitch an enforcer - be great if it was a HM - because right now we are like Arsenal - without the skill, just soft as charmin.

DD

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Arsenal could at least bounce back.

18. DaDakota

I am down on the MNT, I don't think we will qualify.

DD

19. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

CP is good at futbol.. wow!

20. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Christian Pulisic!!