1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros @ Angels

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by leroy, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Nook

Nook Member

The Yankees got a steal with Sonny Gray. Would have liked to have added him at the deadline based on the very reasonable cost associated.

2. Buck Turgidson

Gray and Doolittle were the 2 I wanted from the A's.

Nook likes this.
  3. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Clearly the correct response is "both", but would you rather have Verlander this year and 2 more or Gray for this year and 2 more .

4. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I think Verlander is the most significant addition to any of the contenders. Things worked out beautifully for the Astros at the end of all this.

5. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Let's keep in mind OAK's asking price was likely more within the division.
    Verlander appears he will be pitching effectively in his late-30's.

6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Yep, he didn't look that good earlier in the year, but whatever he changed has got him back to where he was last year.

7. Nook

Nook Member

I think Verlander is the better pitcher and if I had to choose one, I would take Verlander because he is capable of being a genuine stopper. Obviously the age of Verlander and salary are a concern (although I don't think $20,000,000 is unreasonable) but Gray hasn't been able to stay healthy and is a #2/3 on a really strong staff.

It is always easy to look in hindsight. Still a team like the Astros (or many others) could have addressed two top rotation spots for 2.5 years for moderate prospect costs.

8. bobrek

I still think the prospect cost to the Astros for Gray would have been greater than what the Yankees provided. Oakland would be trading their top pitcher to the top team in their division for 2+ years. I think they'd have to be getting something of significant value back.

Nook likes this.
  9. Nook

Nook Member

There are two changes.

First his extension has increased with has increased his velocity, slowed the hitters reaction time. This has also resulted in fewer walks.

Second Verlander has regained command of his slider.

This is a good possibility, my only counter would be that the A's are not likely to contend in the next 2 years and they have been active dealing with the Astros recently.

Either way, (I try to temper my expectations) but Verlander has a chance of being very good for the next 2+ years at least and he has shown he is very capable of making adjustments over his career. He has a similar craft for the game that Clemens and Ryan had. Also, his stuff should translate well to the post season and he will be leaned on a lot because he has pitched in big games and done well. If we get Dallas K straightened out and have a couple guys firing in the pen..... the #3-4 starters may not matter a whole lot.

We have the upside potential of having the top of our rotation shut down offenses in 2-4 games in a 7 game series. Obviously it doesn't always happen (Dodgers the last 5 years) but it does sometimes (Diamondbacks).

Everyone is complaining over the recent A's series but everyone should be excited because this team is talented and balanced enough to win a WS, and how often has that been the case in Houston sports? Maybe 5 times in the last 25 years?

Houstunna likes this.
  10. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Moderate, or not - trading away six prospects over the course of a single month is significant and probably ill-advised.

11. bobrek

Also....the fact that lowly Oakland can sweep the Astros, gives credence to the fact that the Astros can beat whatever teams the play in the playoffs. I find it ironic that there are those who give the Astros no chance against the Indians or Dodgers (at least before the Dodgers recent swoon), would also have given Oakland no chance to sweep Houston.

Joshfast and Nook like this.
  12. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

If they only traded 2 of their top 6 prospects and got two mid to front of rotation starters that would be entirely reasonable.

awc713 and Nook like this.
  13. Buck Turgidson

Not sure what the time frame has to do with it.

14. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I was referring to your first comment. I don't know why he's getting better extension. I suspect whatever he has changed mechanically has improved command on his fastball, slider, and curveball along with the effective velocity boost.

Nook likes this.
  15. Rox Addict

Rox Addict Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

McCullers out with arm soreness? :( Well maybe FieHRs will react the same way he did when he was pulled from the bullpen last time to start ! One can dream right !!!!

16. Nook

Nook Member

If you believe what they say in Detroit, Dubee noticed a mechanical issue and he and Verlander worked on fixing it over a multiple week stretch during the season.

17. Houstunna

Supporting Member

He started hanging with Cushing.

Nook likes this.
  18. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Where are you seeing/hearing this?

19. Smacktle

Smacktle Contributing Member

Wouldn't it be all "arms" on deck and if they are on deck why are they having to hit?

#159 Smacktle, Sep 13, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  20. Smacktle

Smacktle Contributing Member

Anybody know when playoff tickets go on sale?

#160 Smacktle, Sep 13, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2017